1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Serious Help Starting Out

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by phoenix_rising, Dec 20, 2005.

Hello everyone,

My name is Brad and I am a 29 y/o male from Florida. This is my first post here. I have been going over the archives, but still I am lost. I am trying to startup a business online, but this is all new to me. I have tried some ebooks that are geared towards making money with adsense revenues and I am definitely failing with that.

Also, I am a newbie to business online. I had an accident 2 years ago that has left me disabled and unable to continue on with my former employment. I broke my spine at the T10 vertebrae, and it has left me in a wheelchair for life. I was hit by a drunk driver going home from work one night that had no insurance and no money. So I collect a disability check as my main source of income. I do not have college, and the government employment rehab assistance programs are terrible. So, I am trying to make it on my own here to try and earn a decent living and be a productive member of society. I do not want to live on government checks for the rst of my life. Problem is I have no idea what I am doing. I don't want any pity or any handouts, I just wanted you to know I am desperate to try and make things happen for the better. I live on a tight budget and I feel powerless. But I am willing to do whatever it takes to get things going.

I have noticed many people making so much money on adsense. Some make $10,000-$15,000 a month from what I've read. I make like 5 cents or so a day with supposed high paying keywords. Obviously I suck at this, and have gone about it the wrong way. I need some serious advice on how to make money. Would anyone be willing to help me with the following:

1. What kind of websites make the most potential money starting out?
    2. How can I make adsense bring in serious money to that website?
    3. How do I do SEO the right way?
    4. How, who, and where should I market to?
    5. What softwares or other resources do I need?

I'm sorry that this is so pathetic, but I really am lost and in need of help. I was wondering if someone was willing to mentor me until things got up and running? I am willing to split any profits 50/50 for my 1st 12 months, even if it only takes a couple of days to get me going and earning. And I will cover ALL expenses. I would give you 60/40 but I am going to give 10% of everything I earn to the Christopher Reeve Foundation. I just want to earn as much money as possible, so I don't care what the contents of any of the sites would be.

I am not legal savvy either, so whatever you would need to CYA like a contract or whatever else I will pay for as well. I just don't know what is needed.

If anyone is serious and can help, please email me at

Thanks for your time,

Brad

phoenix_rising, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  2. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    Can i know ur Website's URL? :)

amitpatel_3001, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  3. Trippen

Trippen Peon

Best Answers:
    Post your site in the website review forum and have everyone take a look and offer suggestions. Start reading all the different forums here and you will be well on your way.

Trippen, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  4. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    First advice. Don't be in too big a hurry to buy help! Thoughtful questions are always welcome in forums such as this. Keep reading and post often. The resulting teamwork will be greater than any one individual you could pay.

On the other hand if you have a particular programming task that you KNOW will pay off... but for me it takes time and many small failures to find what works.

There may be ways to quickly start up and make money online, but typically adsense isn't one of them. Focusing on high paying keywords might not work out. Personally I'm taking a diversified approach, with mixed results. I have about 25 sites. most are less than 6 months old and none older than a year. I had some trickles of income in the early going but nothing serious till the past couple months.

Others focus on fewer sites, creating more content and marketing for them. You will find your own path, but just keep making pages regardless what you know. I had a site I had built years ago using frontpage. Just a hobby site for the family small biz. I didn't know anything about seo or linking or even ways to monetize it. Just lots of pages talking about plants and plantcare and our garden center. I could always find it near the top of search results. Then one day I was looking at another server I saw in an ad...thought their sitebuilder tool looked cool. (I was having trouble with FrontPages Nav Structure falling apart) and I shut it down moved it and rebuilt it. Suddenly my site was invisible to the search engines! This was a little over a year ago. ...if I only knew then what I know now.

I guess what I'm saying is.

You can eventually suceed just by creating content about subjects you like.
    But keep learning along the way so you don't make major screwups like I did!

It all starts to look like rocket science, but it comes down to build sites, add content, monetize judiciously, get links, don't rest on your laurels and give google time. The rest is gravy.

jazzylee77, Dec 20, 2005 IP
    Nitin M and forkqueue like this.
  5. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    It's all in the volume. You can have a few sites with high traffic or many sites with less traffic. It's hard to build high-traffic sites quickly, much easier to build many small sites.

What people do is find a system that works for them and repeat it. If you really want to make lots of money with AdSense then my advice would be:

1. You'll need to buy domains, so try to do it as inexpensively as possible on a long-term basis. This usually means becoming a domain reseller, but it depends on how many domains you're going to buy.

2. You'll need to host the sites, so you definitely want a reseller plan for this, probably several reseller plans from different hosting services so you can spread the domains across different IP address ranges.

3. On these servers you'll want to use a mix of simple static sites and blogs. The blogs are necessary these days to get indexed quickly and efficiently, but you also need to update them regularly, so it's a mixed blessing. Static sites take time to create -- you want good content in general -- but once they're running they can stay on autopilot.

4. Don't target the high-paying keywords, go for midrange combos where there's less competition.

5. Refine your system as you go along.

None of this happens overnight. I know there are systems out there like AdSense Empire and Traffic Equalizer that have tools to auto-generate pages and blog entries, but I think in the long term that's a bad approach as the search engines keep targeting those kinds of sites for removal. It's always better to create things that are unique.

Does this make sense to you?

Eric Giguere, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  6. phoenix_rising

phoenix_rising Peon

Best Answers:

I took them down today. I was duped into making those Review sites that supposedly get people to click on the ads. I also was told to buy traffic, and the est 1% CTR from 100,000 visitors and averaging 0.85 a click would get you $850 a month per 100,000 visitors. I didn't know this was a scam at the time, or that 0.85 per click was very very generous. I just want to start over the right way. Thanks for asking amipatel. : - )

7. phoenix_rising

phoenix_rising Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks to you too Trippen, but as I explained to amipatel I took them down. I already heard all you guys say that the ones I was trying to do were useless.

8. phoenix_rising

phoenix_rising Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks jazzylee77. I guess the problem is I don't feel like I know anything worthwhile enough to make a real website for that anyone would want to come to. That's why I tried to make the supposed adsense magnet sites. I really like movies and music. Is there any way in for me on those subjects?

9. phoenix_rising

phoenix_rising Peon

Best Answers:
    How many would you suggest a newbie to get?

Will they let a reseller only buy a few? And Is this so you don't have any problems with Google's TOS or just good habits?

How many pages of content per static site do you suggest? And should there be one blog per static site, like an extension of the site? Or should it just be something totally independent? Should these sites be all ab
    out the same topic, different, or does it matter?

What's midrange as far as keywords go? $10PPC?

OK

I would like to do it the right way as well.

It does, I just feel overwhelmed. Thank you guys so much! You have no idea how appreciative I am of your kindness.

10. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    You would start with two, one for the static site and one for the blog site. So you don't need to worry about domain reselling initially, it's just that when it gets to a certain point (probably about 80 domains or so) it becomes worth it to get a reselling account so you can buy them more cheaply.

Note that I'm talking long-term here, not initially. And it will take a while to collect that many domains and setup that many sites. So don't worry about it initially. Just use GoDaddy or a similar registrar, stay away from the places that charge you $15 or more for a .com domain. There's no reason you can't get one for $9 or less.

A reseller account just means that you get a big chunk of disk space and a big chunk of bandwidth that you can divide up among a whole of sites. Web designers use these kinds of account to provide web hosting for their clients without having to actually run the web servers themselves. As an multi-site owner you can take advantage of these kinds of accounts to drastically reduce your hosting costs. So instead of paying say $10/month for hosting one domain, with a reseller account you may get to host 50 domains for $20/month, which means a cost of $0.40 per domain per month.

Nothing in the TOS about this kind of stuff. Spreading yourself around different hosts is just arguably good business, so you're not completely dependent on one host.

Well, you should start small with the site, say a dozen pages or so. You can add more content as time goes on, but you need a core of content to start with. You should have a blog on the same topic, but it should be hosted elsewhere and it should link to the static site, but not necessarily vice-versa.

As for the topic... well, you don't want the sites to be duplicates of each other. But they can be close and target different subtopics. I think this depends on the topic and what kind of content you can create.

I wish! Try more like $0.50 to $1.00. Low-range is $0.01 to $0.50 in my mind. But these are just ranges. The fact is, smart pricing will reduce your earnings unless your site is particularly compelling and leads to sales for the advertisers.

Eric Giguere, Dec 20, 2005 IP
    torunforever likes this.
  11. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    Phoenix, if you feel stuck for a topic because you don't feel that you know enough about any one thing, pick something you'd like to be well-versed in and in the process of researching the articles you will become more and more authoritative in your subject.

Just don't pick the field of Internet Marketing! It is tempting for newbies (because they need to learn it anyway), but it is oh, so very over-saturated by now.

Mister Tut, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  12. phoenix_rising

phoenix_rising Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Mister Tut, well noted!

13. phoenix_rising

phoenix_rising Peon

Best Answers:

OK, I think it's penetrating my thick skull a little now...

What would be a good software or web-template to use? I have X-Site Pro, but it is either really cheesey, or I just can't work it right. Should I pay the money and get a custom template, or is that just unneccessary? Sorry to ask on here, but I went to a web design forum and they bashed me for asking.

Sorry, I meant $10 that the advertisers pay. What does the Publisher get, like 10% of that? I was figuring around a $1 for Publisher midrange.

What is smart-pricing? I haven't seen that term yet.

14. satchreed

satchreed Peon

Best Answers:
    You might check out gotlogos.com. You can get a logo design for $25 and build your site around that design.

satchreed, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  15. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    try some open source templates http://www.oswd.org/

Deano, Dec 20, 2005 IP
    Mister Tut likes this.
  16. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:
    Smart pricing has been discussed here before, but you can start by reading Google's blog entry about it. The purpose of smart pricing is to reduce costs to advertisers based on how well ads are converting.

torunforever, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  17. Marc-O

Marc-O Guest

Best Answers:
    With a blog, do you mean a blog with Blogspot (or...) or will a home-made blog on your own website work just as well?

Thanks!

Marc-O, Dec 21, 2005 IP
  18. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use any blogging software you want, even Blogger, but make sure that the blog itself gets hosted on your own domain. I know a blogspot subdomain is free, but it comes with a price -- Google can get rid of it at any time. And if later you decide to switch to your own domain, you lose all your inbound links and everything. Better to start our correctly with your own domain. But you can still use Blogger, just configure it to publish the blog to your own domain via FTP.

Not to be self-serving or anything, but you may want to buy a book on this stuff to understand things. Failing that, spend a few hours reading as many threads here as you can.

Eric Giguere, Dec 21, 2005 IP
  19. Marc-O

Marc-O Guest

Best Answers:
    Does the webserver need to have any special requirements (php, python, ...) or can this be done on any domain/webserver?

Marc-O, Dec 21, 2005 IP
  20. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    If you use a blogging service like Blogger, you don't need any special software on your server, it just transfers (via FTP) static files to your server. Links for doing things like leaving comments go back to Blogger in that case. But you can get all kinds of free blogging software for pretty much every configuration. WordPress is a popular one, for example, and it's PHP-based. I run one called blojsom, and it's Java-based.

Eric Giguere, Dec 21, 2005 IP
    MattEvers likes this.