1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need SE friendly CMS ?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Memphis, Mar 5, 2005.

I wanted to start a free software site and hence I need an SE friendly cms. Can anyone point me to the direction that is suited for my upcoming site ? :)

Memphis, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    a friend of mine is using post-nuke on his linux sever
    http://www.post-nuke.net/
    and it appears so far the only CMS i have seen in many years that produces clean fully validated html 4.01 pages in his forum and all content pages - including clean SEO / optimized individual pages / posts
    if you want to have a look at his site as an example of layout ...
    here his site
    http://www.loveteam.net
    he may have made some changes to the orignal code - i would have to ask if it is default post nuke or modified ( he is IT devel pro ) ..

myself i use a blog (CMS) besides my static pages - it is fully SEO adapted with clean xhtml pages - needs however some additional care but has resulted in plenty of top SERPS so far as a result of good SE friendliness

BOTH a.m. CMS systems create a RSS feed - one of my best add ons since i started my site soem 8 years ago

hans, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  3. andy

andy Peon

Best Answers:
    I would check out Drupal at www.drupal.org. It has some really nice SEO features, especially if you use apache on Linux with mod_rewrite.

andy, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  4. obenix

obenix Eats an apple a day......

Best Answers:
    Isn't Mambo a SE-friendly CMS? Mambo actually has a function to make your website SE-friendly. Sadly, I turned it on but have not seen any changes...

obenix, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  5. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think there are some SEO modules that you can get for mambo above and beyond the standard admin settings.

MattUK, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  6. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    I have 3 words for you

Mambo! Mambo! Mambo!

payoutwindow, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  7. Chilly

Chilly Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't Mambo script your outgoing links, though? Like instead of:

http://mylinkpartner.com

you get

http://mymambosite.com/ and some php garbage ahead of the real link?

I'm just asking because if you want your OUTBOUND links to be SEO-friendly, Mambo doesn't do that out of the box, and I have yet to find a tweak that makes it work.

Chilly, Jul 13, 2005 IP
  8. Ramebo

Ramebo Guest

Best Answers:
    Here's some sample links to show the different formats available for sef urls in mambo:

Out of the box: www.lewe.com

Out of the box with sef urls enabled:www.mambohut.com

My website with sef advanced: http://www.businesscardtips.com

Commercial script found here: http://www.sakic.net/scripting/mambo/sef_advance/

You can find a couple of other sef scripts by searching here: http://www.mamboforge.net, such as google sitemap component.

Hope this helps...

Ramebo | http://www.businesscardtips.com

Ramebo, Jul 14, 2005 IP
  9. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for something simple you might want to consider WordPress, the blogging platform. I just set two sites up with it in less than 15 minutes, including registration of the domains. It is very SE friendly and very easy to use. Plus the theme swapping makes it very easy to change the look of the site quickly.

chachi, Jul 14, 2005 IP
  10. themaster

themaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can use mambo.. It is possible to crate search engine friendly urls in mambo. There is a component to do that. (Url aliases)

themaster, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  11. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    mambo mambo mambo. It's the way to go

stuw, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  12. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I have a postnuke site with almost 200 members that gets over 20k uniq visitors a day.

I can hardly say its postnuke anymore since I have stripped out everything but its user management. I can tell you its very easy to make it se compatable and also if you use a table-less theme (divs and css) you will get indexed great.

Shoemoney, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  13. greentwinkie

greentwinkie Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to say that I only worked with Mambo, but it is great.

You can make tabless templates (div only) and you can use the Xaneon Extensions to make your url's truly SEO'ed. Let me show you how Mambo can work for url's:

1. Without SEF url's : www.test.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=50 - not good

2. With SEF url's (built into Mambo): www.test.com/content/view/50/37 - somewhat better

3. With Xaneon Extensions (download from mamboforge.net): www.test.com/seo-articles/what-can-mambo-do.php - perfect ;)

I definately recommend Mambo!

greentwinkie, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  14. d360

d360 Grunt

Best Answers:
    So if you were looking for someone to develop a CMS application do you think its a good idea to have someone familiar with a specific app like Mambo or can any good developer spend time and learn it?

Also if a developer was to say lets build it from the ground up what is the pros/cons for doing so? Vs. using opensource and customizing it.

d360, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  15. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal is seriously underated...
    It's a good system and has some fantastic features.

SEbasic, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  16. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    best case scenario would mean they are familiar with some of the top CMS systems as well as be up to date on SEO topics and probably blogging as that seems to be where things are moving.

chachi, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  17. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    My best advice to you would be to make sure that you plan every aspect of the site very clearly in your head before you think about getting someone to build it.

Think about the process you'd like the back-end to work through.
    Think about the actual features you'd like from the CMS (Front and back end).
    Write a VERY detailed breif for the developers.

Unless you're willing to invest $20,000+ on getting a system developed, the chances are that you'll already be able to find something on the market that does the same thing (most likely for free). :)

SEbasic, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  18. greentwinkie

greentwinkie Peon

Best Answers:
    IMHO it's almost always better to take someone elses work and improve it. Customizing Mambo or Drupal to your specific needs will always be easier than doing everything from scratch.

Want SEF url's, integration with a certain payment system or god knows what else? Write a component or modify the CMS where needed! Even if you hire someone else it will cost you in the lower hundreds of $ for even the very complicated stuff.

greentwinkie, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  19. Abilnet

Abilnet Peon

Best Answers:
    People seems to like Mambo and Drupal... I have to agree, both are Great Systems :)

I've been using Mambo for years. It's ok CMS if you don't need any multi-site-features, user groups & their permissions or are not building a community site.

If you run several content / membership sites, or need any kind of user groups with permissions, subcriptions etc... then you really want to take a look at Drupal.

After years of using Mambo and other popular CMS-scripts, I've changed to Drupal (take a look at my other posts for the reasons)

Abilnet, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  20. Klaas Koopman

Klaas Koopman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hey all i'm working on a charity dutch project and using mambo for it! http://www.bo0.co.uk/dikkop. that is my skin for mambo! Anyone could give me a hand when it's up with it? :D

Klaas Koopman, Jul 27, 2005 IP