1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need one index for mobile and one for desktop

Discussion in 'CSS' started by holkapolka, Oct 14, 2016.

Currently Ihave the page made for desktop.. But I need to know what I do after i make the site for mobile.. There will be an own folder for the mobile but what will be the code for mobile view of the site, a code that goes automatical depending if the user has mobile or desktop. If desktop site remains but if mobile it changes to mobile.. is this easy code for google to separate and understand the 2 different sites is also important for me to know as i want it optimized.

holkapolka, Oct 14, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, unless you're doing something very specific with the mobile solution, this is not the right way to do it. What you do is create a responsive design, which changes based on size of the viewport, regardless of what device it's viewed on. Having different sites based on device is a maintenance nightmare, and usually not worth it in any way.
    Create a proper site instead, where the exact same pages are shown, just with different CSS.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 14, 2016 IP
  3. wordplucker

wordplucker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should give PoPS a best answer for that, or at least a like. The days of the m. subdomain are over with a properly designed site. Most themes do this automagicly now, well, for WP, it has been a lot of years since I have touched Joomla or Mambo.

wordplucker, Oct 14, 2016 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, the notion of two separate sites was NEVER a good idea in the first place, and has no place in the age of modern responsive layout. If you even NEED to think in those terms there is probably something horribly wrong with your existing desktop design such as a lack of semantics, graceful degradation, separation of presentation from content, or a content FIRST approach to development using progressive enhancement.

It is also therein likely that the desktop layout is also an accessibility train wreck.

Though without seeing the site in question that's hard to say just how badly you've painted yourself into the corner with broken methodologies and "not viable for web deployment" concepts -- it's just that by your even asking the question the way you did, it's highly likely that's EXACTLY what you've already done.

Although if it's anything like that holkapolka disaster you were asking about a month ago... everything I just said times a thousand.

deathshadow, Oct 18, 2016 IP