1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Help

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Crusader, Aug 20, 2005.

I'm planning to register a domain name with GoDaddy.com. My problem is this, for me to be able to register the domain name, I need to add it to my webhost's nameserver, but in order to do that I need to first have the domain name registered. It seems to be a vicious circle!

Can I register the domain name, park it at GoDaddy and then after it is registered, change the nameservers to point to my website? This is the first time I'm registering a domain name, so I'm a bit clueless! :confused:

Crusader, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  2. norfstar

norfstar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can :).

norfstar, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  3. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    As norfstar said ;)

muchacho, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  4. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the quick reply's guys. I'm now the proud owner of a new domain name. Just waiting for it to propogate then I'm in business!

5. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Now I have another question. I'm going to use the new domain name, to point to an existing site. In the Cpanel of my webhost, when I added the domain, it showed a message that it's pointing the new domain to the old one. Now I'm wondering if the search engines sees this or if this affects the search engines in any way?

6. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google will normally ignore the newer site name, since it is duplicate content. Other search engines may show both. I have a site with the exact setup.

debunked, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  7. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    When I type in my new domain name I'm getting a page with the following message
    followed by ads and such.

I've changed the nameservers to my webhost. Is this normal behaviour whilst the new nameservers gets propogated or should I be worried that I did something wrong?

8. JamieC

JamieC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you've changed the nameservers, you've nothing to worry about. Try using nslookup with a variety of different nameservers if you want to monitor your new domain's DNS propagation. It may take up to 24 hours, although these days it can take a little less time.

JamieC, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  9. ehsen

ehsen Peon

Best Answers:
    DND propagatation takes some time. On domainsite.com DNS prop is in real time.

ehsen, Aug 23, 2005 IP