1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help with string manipulation and link tracking

Discussion in 'C#' started by surfnearnzone, Oct 9, 2006.

Hi,

I want to sepaerate website address from a string. For example some site like site.com/ref=blah-blah&blahblah=blahlabla&blahblahblah. i just want to remove site.com from this string and save it and comapare it at a later time when someone visits from the same domain.

Please help.

Actually what i want to do is to create a url rediection and tracking application. Right now for example what i have done is created a folder dp in my site. it contains a tracking application. i Have put the link here in DP. so when people copy and paste link in the browser instead of clicking on it, i know they arrived from dp. But i cant do this for every site. I cant create hundreds of folders. so i want to make an application which would point users to appropriate webpage or site without me creating hundreds of folders. It is also difficult to manage that ways.

Or their could be application which would create folders on the fly and also changes the redirection url of the default page. It should also help in tracking hits and where it came from.

Hope i am clear with what i want. Any solutions please :) My host supports asp and asp.net

surfnearnzone, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  2. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    here the answer for your first question

I am suer you can figure out what you need :)

If you need more help let us know

ludwig, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  3. surfnearnzone

surfnearnzone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes of course i can do that. Anyways thanks a ton for the code. :D

surfnearnzone, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  4. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you are welcome, I used it to track the referers for HAY.am also I am planning to create a public hit counter, is it what you are trying to achieve?

ludwig, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  5. surfnearnzone

Best Answers:
    No what i am trying to achieve is:

1. People visit my site links or affiliate links >>

2. Sometimes, they copy the link to the browser rather than clicking >>

3. If not clicked i get only the user ip and not the referrer IP >>

4. I create a tracking application, a single tracking asp page.

5. create tracking folders like dp, dpforumblog

6. Put default.asp which redirects to the appropriate link. It also refrences tracking page through include directive.

7. So people have no choice but to visit site.com/dp (this is not the actual structure just for illustration) etc. even if they copy the link i know where they came from.

The problem is i cant create a special tracking folder for every website i want to put links on.

I have awber stats but i am not satisfied with it so i created my own tracking application. Now wherever they come from whichever page they go to i know it through my tracking page.

It is a single page refrenced throught my website. Its quite helpful as i knew how many people visited my sales page but no one bought anything. For next time i know i need to put something which would be needed by people rather than giving emphasis on the sales pitch :D

6. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    after all that, isn't it easier to save all the data in a MSSQL or ACCESS database?

ludwig, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  7. surfnearnzone

Best Answers:
    Did'nt understand completely what ur saying. The tracking page has database connection. So all the tracking info is getting saved in a database.

If you are saying that i should use something like site.com/default.asp?visit=pagename&source=referrer then it is not working for me cause people have a very bad habit of modifying the link.

Another question, i have always worked with access, i want to know if using mssql is better. Anyhow, access is always free with hosts and no need to pay for a extra mssql database.

I am facinated with mssql though and want to know about it.