1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help with PDF download

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Colleen, Nov 25, 2004.

I am not sure if this is even possible but my client has requested this so I am asking here to see what I can find out.

My client has PDF forms for visitors to download. However some of these visitors either don't have the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed or they have an older version.

It would be simple enough that they just click the link I placed to download the reader right off the Adobe site but it doesn't seem to help. The visitors still write and complain that they don't know what to do.

My client would like it so that when a visitor clicks to view/print the PDF, a window pops open that auto downloads the newest version of Adobe Acrobat. Not sure how this would work if they already have the program but this is what he wants.

So I am asking is there a way to auto download the latest version of the program and then open the PDF?

:confused:

Colleen, Nov 25, 2004 IP
  2. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=PDF++downloading+problems&ei=UTF-8&fr=sfp&fl=0&x=wrt

You may have to research this one Kalina, the above search will have hours of data that you will have to sift through.

anthonycea, Nov 25, 2004 IP
  3. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you Anthony. Looks like a new dilemma for me. :D

Colleen, Nov 25, 2004 IP
  4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    That is the best you can do Kalina is suggest that they download the latest version of Reader.

You can not do an automatic download for someone of software they may not wish to install.

Just tell your client that you can put the "Get the latest Adobe Reader" download button on the page and leave it up to the web surfer to download "reader" if they wish to look at the PDF.

There is nothing more you can do.

I know when you do not have Quicktime that a box pops up and asks you if you want to download Quicktime, but you can not do that I don't think.

5. Colleen

Best Answers:
    I did put a link to the Adobe page and explained to my client that it's all we can do, because the visitor also has to choose their language, os, etc, so it can't just be an automatic download.

It's just hard to explain this stuff to someone with little to no internet knowledge.

Thanks again Anthony.

Colleen, Nov 25, 2004 IP
  6. Daniel

Daniel Peon

Best Answers:
    Simple Sweetie.

Go to the adobe page and start to download each available version. Grab the direct link to each of the files and place links to them on the site.

ie.

Download Here

English

Windows XP
    Windows 2K
    Windows NT
    Windows 9X

French

Windows XP
    Windows 2K
    Windows NT
    Windows 9X

When you already have acrobat reader installed and it opens to view a PDF document it does a check to see if you have the latest version and if you do not you are prompted to download it.

:)

Daniel, Nov 25, 2004 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't know if I would do that Dan, then if someone downloads the wrong version they will blame the webmaster for that.

8. Daniel

Daniel Peon

Best Answers:
    The person will not download the wrong version if the links are WELL described on the site. Yes if the webmaster doesn't make it easy and clear like in my example then for SURE they would get blamed.

Colleen's work is AMAZING not cluttered and is very easy to understand I have no doubt that she would list the links the proper way to ensure the surfer follows the proper link.

:):)

Daniel, Nov 25, 2004 IP
  9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    My feeling on the matter is this, if a computer user has never downloaded a PDF they have not been online very long.

I think that someone is shaking the tree a bit too much, it is the users problem to sort out their own downloads, if you give them the main link that should be fine in my opinion.

10. Daniel

Daniel Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes but as Kalina stated. She has tried that and the customers get confused on adobe's website.

Hence the reasoning behind posting direct links to the file for their OS and Language right on the site.

All of this can be contained within drop down menus making it very easy for the customer to choose the proper download.

Also who said a little description or explanation of how to download the file could not be included above the actual download area?

Daniel, Nov 25, 2004 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    If that is the case she should just build an entire page explaining the downloads and link to that page from the original download link.

12. Daniel

Daniel Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think that much of an explanation is needed.

Maybe a pop up window can contain the explanation but really all that would be needed is one paragraph :)

ie.

Download the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader here. Choose the file from the drop down menu that corresponds with the OS and Language of your choice.

Click Go to download the file.

:):)

Daniel, Nov 25, 2004 IP
  13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Sort of like the Apple quicktime viewer does when you do not have it.

14. Colleen

Best Answers:
    Ok. Thanks guys. I will look into what the client prefers tomorrow.

Colleen, Nov 25, 2004 IP
  15. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Can the client not offer the download in different formats, i.e. word, text file etc?

Your going to get the problem no matter what formats you give people, they will always be users who are not experienced with the internet or how to use a computer. It can be frustrating for webmasters.

DarrenC, Nov 26, 2004 IP