1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help with my DMOZ submission

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by mlagift, Dec 10, 2005.

I submitted my site to DMOZ last October but I didn't get any response from the said Dirctory. I just submitted the site again tonight. Can please check my website's description and title if there is a problem so that I can revise it as soon as posible?

mlagift, Dec 10, 2005 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This one?
    Rather than comment, I suggest that you study our Editing Style Guidelines and try again :) .

<added> Since I can't see any sign that you deliver outrside the Philippines, the category where you'll end up (if listed) will be Pilippines/../Flowers and Gifts. You'll be speeding up the process and helping the editors if you suggest your site there in the first place. </added>

jimnoble, Dec 10, 2005 IP
    pagode and riz like this.
  3. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I were you, I wouldn't bother spending too much time or effort trying to get into DMOZ. Sure, a link from there is a good thing to have, but in my experience the editors generally don't let much in (I certainly haven't had any of my sites accepted, despite submitting them to the relevant categories and being added to pretty much every other directory using the same description) and it's generally not worth the effort required as I imagine DMOZ traffic has fallen quite a lot since the early days - I certainly don't use it to find things unless I'm looking for something really generic like PHP directories.

pwaring, Dec 10, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  4. virtualkev

virtualkev Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. I have submitted a few site some a around a year and a half ago and i've heard nothing, it's just rude :mad:

virtualkev, Dec 10, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  5. mlagift

mlagift Guest

Best Answers:

I just change the following information tonight before I submitted it again to:

Title: Mlagift – Philippine Gifts
    Desc : Order a gift from any part of the world and have it delivered to Philippines nationwide.

I will submit it again to your suggested to category.

Thank you very much and more power

mlagift, Dec 10, 2005 IP
  6. vlasta

vlasta Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess it would help you if you removed the "keyword phrase" from your title and used just Mlagifts. The category name already indicates that sites are related to Ph. and that gifts are involved. The description seems fine, but if it were a bit more specific... if there is anything unique, be sure to mention it. Everyone likes unique sites.

vlasta, Dec 10, 2005 IP
  7. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's OK; the editor will remove it for you.

jimnoble, Dec 10, 2005 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  8. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Not rude really unless an editor asked you to make the submission. You made a speculative suggestion with no obligations or duties on either side. I don't reply to all the speculative advertising that arrives in my morning mail and I don't feel that failure to respond is rude either.

But when I first became an editor it wasn't uncommon to have a brief dialogue with a submitter via email. But then there were one or two cases involving threats of physical violence made against editors plus I believe a couple of stalkers. Personal safety overrides courtesies I'm afraid and editors are discouraged from engaging in dialogue with submitters. It is a sad world in that respect.

brizzie, Dec 10, 2005 IP
  9. mlagift

mlagift Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the advice vlasta and thank you for your support jimnoble. I really appreciated it .

mlagift, Dec 10, 2005 IP
  10. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the problems I have noticed at DMOZ is that there are not editors for all catgeories. I was once an editor, but it lapsed because I was unable to pay attention to the site for a lengthy period of time. The old life gets in the way of being a good geek thing. Unfortunatley, when I reapplied I was rejected.
    That section of the site still does not have an editor, with the result there have been no revisions done for a couple of years. In that situation, you are not going to get much reponse to a submission.

clancey, Dec 11, 2005 IP
  11. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is true that not every category has an editor listed at the bottom, that does not mean the category does not have an editor. Any editor listed in a category above it can edit all subcategories below. There is also a group of editors who can edit anywhere in the directory without being listed for any specific categories. :)

photofox, Dec 11, 2005 IP
  12. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    But having been an editor, they already knew that ;)

shadow575, Dec 12, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  13. mlagift

mlagift Guest

Best Answers:
    I just checked the DMOZ directory part where my site was submitted.
    It was located here:
    Top: Regional: Asia: Philippines: Business and Economy: Shopping: Flowers and Gifts

And while checking the Editors of every Category, I found out that
    Top: Regional: Asia: Philippines: is the top line category where an editor is available.

Do you think he can still see my submission even if it was located deeply in the category groups?

mlagift, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  14. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, there is no problem.

Some of the busiest most active editors are often only listed in a high level category, and may be listed as an editor in only a small number of total categories, but the reality is that they actively edit in all sub-categories.

Also remember ther are hundreds of other editors that can do edit in any category they want, even though you never see their name listed.

macdesign, Dec 13, 2005 IP
    compostannie and Alucard like this.
  15. mlagift

mlagift Guest

Best Answers:
    :( Hopping my site to get listed before February… :(

mlagift, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  16. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    :D As a DMOZ editor I can promise you that if your site is listable it will be listed before february. I just can't tell you in which year. It could be before february 2006, or 2007 or maybe 2010. :D

pagode, Jan 7, 2006 IP
  17. mlagift

mlagift Guest

Best Answers:
    I was happy for a second when you said before February.
    I am now sad again for reading the years. :(

mlagift, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  18. mlagift

mlagift Guest

Best Answers:
    2 Days left before the end of February and still not listed :(

mlagift, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  19. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Did I miss a month? I thought this was January - please tell me I'm not so old that I totally spaced on my birthday. :eek:

lmocr, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  20. tradealoan

tradealoan Peon

Best Answers: