1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Help with Adsense on my site? Ads way too big and intrusive!

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by JohnHoward28, Feb 28, 2020.

Hi all. I am a newbie here, and new to Adsense, although my website is older. I appreciate your patience with me as I learn the ropes here.

So, I have had my site for about 10 years. I started to seriously develop it about four years ago when I upgraded the whole site from a basic HTML site to a content managed Word Press site. A month ago, I decided to sign my site up for Adsense. I have a LOT of content, so I was approved with no problem. Not knowing anything about Adsense, I just set everything to AUTO and let Google decided where to put the ads. At first, I did not see many ads on the site, but now they are all over. The problem is, they are HUGE and in the wrong places. Take for example this screenshot from my phone.

Screenshot_20200228-173410_Chrome.jpg

As you can see, the ads take up the top 70% of the screen real estate, pushing the content to the bottom. This is causing a big increase in bounce rates on my site where people immediately leave my site.

Another problem is that an ad also appears at the bottom of the page. The problem with this is that I have a comment section at the bottom of my page that is bookmarked further up on the page. Clicking on the bookmark is supposed to take the visitor to the comment section, but now it takes them to an ad and the comment section is off the screen.

It's like google is placing the ads in the WORST possible places for my site. And they are way too large. I do a lot of web browsing and I would leave a site that has ads this big. But I see a lot of websites that have Google ads on them and NONE of them are as large as the ones on my site.

I just need help understanding what I need to do to get the ads to be a reasonable size and not at the TOP of the page and not interfering with the function of my page bookmarks. Thanks for the help.

JohnHoward28, Feb 28, 2020 IP
  2. JohnHoward28

JohnHoward28 Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess there is no solution to this. I have decided to quit AdSense. The ads are intolerable and are ruing my site in every respect. Not only are they huge, but they are also completely unrelated to the content on the site or the visitors. I had several friends visit the site and they recorded the ads they saw. They said that they were the dumbest, most unrelated ads they had ever seen. Some were irritating. They all said that the ads made my site look like a cheesy clickbait site. I don't know how Google makes billions of dollars on ads with such horrible ad sharing algorithms.

JohnHoward28, Feb 29, 2020 IP
  3. JohnHoward28

JohnHoward28 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow! Is there any active members on this site?

JohnHoward28, Mar 1, 2020 IP
  4. JohnHoward28

JohnHoward28 Peon

Best Answers:
    Guess Not

JohnHoward28, Mar 7, 2020 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You can manually add a width and a height to your ads:

<script async src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
    <ins class="adsbygoogle"
         style="display:inline-block;width:728px;height:90px"
         data-ad-client="ca-pub-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
         data-ad-slot="xxxxxxxxxx"></ins>
    <script>
         (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
    </script>

Code (markup):
    The example above will show as a 728x90 ad on standard computer / laptops and will get resized to fit cell phone screens. You can adjust the width and the height to whatever you wish. Make sure you don't forget to add style="display:inline-block;

qwikad.com, Mar 8, 2020 IP
  6. JohnHoward28

JohnHoward28 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your help. I am a little confused by your answer though. As I said in my OP, I have AdSense set to Auto Ads. I was looking for advice on how I can adjust settings in Adsense to fix the problem. Does the method you described effect Auto ads size and location, or would I have to turn Auto ads off and manually insert ads into each of my hundreds of pages? Thanks again.

JohnHoward28, Mar 8, 2020 IP
  7. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    When I go to your site (https://thejungleexplorer.com/) I can see AdSense codes in it. I don't know if you have auto ads along with those ads, if you do, you will have to turn the auto off and manually update the codes you have in your pages. With auto ads you just add a line of javascript between <head></head> and then Google chooses what ads to show and where, but since you have AdSense codes within your pages I can safely assume you will need to update them manually (Unless you have them in a separate php file and then show them with an include. That makes everything easier.).

8. JohnHoward28

JohnHoward28 Peon

Best Answers:
    If the code is there, I did not put it there. The only thing I did was ad the ads.txt and install the Google Site Kit. After I was approved with AdSense, Adsense walked me through several different functions to get the ads up and running on my site. I did not manually add any coding to my pages. I currently have Auto ads turned off because it was destroying my site. I am not seeing any Google ads on my site, so even if the code is there, it is not doing anything. I am not sure AdSense is right for me. I demand control of what gets shown on my site. I don't mind ads, but they have to be related to my site or to the visitor. I have several people test out my site with auto ads running and they all said the ads were horrible. They were crazy silly ads that had nothing to with either my site or the visitors browsing my site. It's like google said, "which ads are the worst possible ads we can show on this guys site." They also did not pay anything. I let them run for 30 days and according to google own stats I had over 40 thousand impressions and I made 3 cents. I am not going to let google ruin my site to make less than a Dime for 50 thousand impressions a month. They can find another digital billboard to put their junk ads on.

I need to be able to choose where the ads show up, and the categories of the ads. My site is a serious site that is visited by serious people. It needs to make money, but not at the expense of becoming a scummy looking spammy joke site. I am totally fine with ad targeting, but it needs to be TARGETED. Take this site for example. I am seeing a couple of appropriately sized ads for the Semrush service. One at the top and one just about this comment box. They are big enough to drawn attention but do not interfere with the function of the site. They are in tune with the purpose of the site and me the visitor. If there was an ad for women's makeup or a bedazzle kit for little girls that were taking up half the page, that would be more like what was happening with my site, only those would actually be better ads then google was running on my site.

JohnHoward28, Mar 8, 2020 IP
  9. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    I hear you brother. With that many impressions, you should make a WHOLE LOT more. I wouldn't give up. You can manually put some smaller size display ads and get your income up with the impressions alone. But it's up to you, of course.

10. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't use auto ad sizes. I'd remove adsense completely and start over. Test specific sizes and locations to see what works best without interfering with your users' experience.

BlueDevilMedia, Apr 18, 2020 IP