1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help w/ FrontPage 2002

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by rhinoplayer, Jul 28, 2004.

I need help. I redesigned my main text block and right hand advertisements last night on all my pages (www.laser-cutting.biz). It took about 4 hours. Then I published it to the web. Closed the program. Today, when I open FP2002 the text blocks and ads are gone from FP?!? However, they published correctly. Is there any way to get this data back from the host server? A reverse publishing? I've searched everywhere on Microsoft waeb site for an answer but I'm not even sure what this would be called. If it's not possible I'll chalk it up to a learning experience (although I'm still not quite sure what happened since in the past it has always saved when I published but?!? :confused: ).

Thanks

rhinoplayer, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  2. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    If everything is fine on your web site can't you just download the files via FTP?

l0cke, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  3. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    You can actually open the web on the server in FP then publish it back to your machine. This is the easiest way to "reverse publish" the data.

mopacfan, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  4. rhinoplayer

rhinoplayer Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe? The problem is when I import the web, it doesn't format correctly and still some of the pages don't have the text blocks that you can obviously see on the site when viewing with a browser?!? This doesn't make sense to me. Is there another way that I don't know about to get the site back on my computer? (it's been one of those days)

Txs

rhinoplayer, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  5. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Not Import, Open The Web from the server (File>Open Web) instead of from your local machine. Then publish it back to your local machine. I've done it way back when I used front page (back in the '96) and never had a problem.

mopacfan, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  6. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    But for the longer run, stop using FP (which, among other cute things, denies you most of the use of your .htaccess file if you use "Publish to Web") and either get a decent replacement (many seem to like Dreamweaver) or--gasp! shudder!--learn to make pages by hand, so that they come out neat and clean and just the way you want them.

Owlcroft, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  7. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    Instead of reverse publishing; try recalculating your hyperlinks.

Many problems can be resolved by recalulating hyperlinks. In addition, any time you publish; you should recalculate your hyperlinks. This will correct any problems with links, navigation and Frontpage components.

You'll need to login live to your server following the instructions below.

Recalculating hyperlinks on the server:

Go to File/open web
    Type in http://www.domainname.com
    Type in userid and password in the dialog box
    Give Frontpage a minute to do it's thing.
    Go to folders view. You should see a listing of your website files with http://domainname.com on the left
    Now go to Tools/recalculate hyperlinks.
    Let frontpage do it's thing.
    Go to your browser and take a look. May have to refresh your cache.

As well; here are reverse publishing instructions. For FP 2000, the technique is the same. You may have problems with it if your site is really huge; and sometimes the system files/extensions on the host machine like to give you a fit.

To Backup your FP2000 web (aka reverse publish)...

1. Connect to the Internet and start Frontpage2000
    2. Click File, then Open Web
    3. When window appears, type your domain name in the Folder name field, example...: http://www.yourdomain.com
    4. Click Open, you will then be asked for your username and password.
    5. Your web will now load. At this point you are editing the web remotely, so any changes you make directly effect the copy of the web on the server.
    6. After it is loaded, go to File. Click Publish Web
    7. A window will appear. Click Options. Select "Publish all pages, ..." as well as "Include subwebs". You may click the Options button again if you like, otherwise, click Browse to select the location on your computer you want your web stored.
    8. After selection a location, click Open. Now click Publish.
    9. You may or may not get the following message..."Frontpage needs to convert this folder into a new Web by adding...etc...Do you want to convert this folder?". Click yes. At this point, your pages should begin publishing to your harddrive. Simply let it publish and once it is complete you will be able to edit your site via your harddrive.

flawebworks, Jul 28, 2004 IP