1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

need help upgrading joomla 1.5.20 to the latest version

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by splavik, Aug 17, 2016.

Hi Joomla experts,

I have a site i want to upgrade but don't want to lose the custom layout it currently has.

can anyone tell me if a straight upgrade from 1.5.2 to 3.6? will actually retain existing custom design?
    SEMrush
    please advise, if anyone is a joomla expert here feel free to PM me if you think this is something you can help me with

splavik, Aug 17, 2016 IP
    SEMrush
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    create a subdomain, put a copy of the site on it and run the upgrade. If the theme is ok, then repeat on the live site, if it's not, then don't.

sarahk, Aug 17, 2016 IP
  3. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I highly doubt it.
    N.

Nigel Lew, Aug 25, 2016 IP
  4. Mike Lee

Mike Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Upgrading from version 1.5.2 to 3.6 without losing the custom layouts is something very challenging. There are many changes since version 1.5.2. However, it is not impossible. As what @sarahk suggested, you can create a subdomain to test it before upgrading. Another thing you can do is to install the Joomla version 3.6 on your local drive, then try to activate your old template.

Mike Lee, Aug 30, 2016 IP
  5. NuWebHosting

NuWebHosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I recommend step by step upgrade. You " WILL " lose some customization, however just like any other CMS, be prepared to start debugging.

NuWebHosting, Oct 4, 2016 IP