1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help understanding what I'm asking for...

Discussion in 'Programming' started by HelpMePlease3121, Feb 28, 2019.

Hi Everyone, thank you in advance for your help. I tried to keep this request focused, but since I don't understand exactly what I'm asking for, I apologize for my rambling...

Right now, I manually update an HTML data on a website that changes cells in a table. Basically, I created a table to mimic a residential building so that each cell represents a property. When a particular property changes status (lists for sale, goes into Escrow, sells), I manually update the corresponding cell with the changes. I'd love for that process to be more automated somehow.

I do have the ability to download this data via a CSV file, and do not want to fuss or pay for IDX feeds if possible. I'm thinking there must be a way for me to download this data in a CSV file and have that update the table on the website. Or maybe I need to think about a completely different solution altogether. Whatever the case, I do appreciate help and discussion on how to solve my problem.

Please also note, I am not asking for step-by-step instructions on how to achieve this. I am actually asking because I want to know what to ask for when hiring a freelancer for work. I do have a decent amount of knowledge in this space, but have hit a roadblock on this one.

Appreciate the help!

Attached Files:

HelpMePlease3121, Feb 28, 2019 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see a problem here. You simply contact someone who you feel is competent and explain to him/her what you feel needs done. If he/she feels that you are not in tune with what needs to be done or are not asking the right questions then they will be sure to enlighten you. If they cannot do that, then they are not worth the rate they would ask for and you move on to the next freelancer.....simple.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 28, 2019 IP
  3. HelpMePlease3121

HelpMePlease3121 Peon

Best Answers:
    Guess I translated my needs correctly, which in itself is great! However, I would still like to understand how this might be accomplished so that I can better be prepared for my conversation with a developer. I'm guessing there are a lot of options when it comes to "how," so I don't want to walk into a discussion completely noob-style.

HelpMePlease3121, Feb 28, 2019 IP
  4. Ferntree

Ferntree Peon

Best Answers:
    If you keep things to the surface level 'this is what I need to happen and this is how much money I'm capping on this project, can you do this for this amount of money' you should be able to get what you want.

Ferntree, Mar 30, 2019 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's such a simpljob you may struggle to get a freelancer

You appear to have basic html skills and I'm guessing you know how to upload files onto your website.

What I'd do:
    • Create a spreadsheet of the properties
    • Export as CSV
    • Upload to the server
    • Have a script that gets the CSV file and formats as a pretty table
    Then all you need to do is maintain the spreadsheet and upload the changes. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you can do.

PHP commands:
    • Foreach
    • Fgetcsv
    • Echo

sarahk, Mar 30, 2019 IP