1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help saving XML file

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by Eazlyamused, Jan 4, 2006.

Hi,

I created a Google sitemap by copying the code from another website and substituting my own information in Notepad, then I saved it as "sitemap.xml" using the UTF-8 encoding. Now when I try and open the file with Explorer I get the following error message:

Invalid at the top level of the document.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

But I've looked at several valid sitemaps and they all start with that code. I'm wondering if I'm skipping a step when I save the file. If anyone has some advice as to how I could do this properly it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Neil

Eazlyamused, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  2. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Peon

Best Answers:
    looks like the proper line of code, not sure what the issue would be. If you copied through IE, try to erase the quotes and replace them from your keyboard... not a paste.

MaxPowers, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  3. tkluge

tkluge Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi!

If this problem is still alive - you will get more help if you could post the url of the sitemaps file - otherwise we can't help, just guessing.

Tobias

tkluge, Jan 8, 2006 IP