1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Help recovering my PHPBB forum!

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by cheftom, Mar 9, 2010.

Hi,

Was wondering if someone could provide me with some info or help.

I had a phpbb (v2) forum, and my hosting crashed. I don't have any backups of the files.

I do have an old backup of the forum database.

I want to install the new phpbb3 forum script, but I'm not sure how to import my old database into phpbb3.

From the install notes it seems like you need a working install of phpbb2 to do the conversion.

Does anyone know of another way ?

cheftom, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  2. bootsandrew

bootsandrew Peon

Best Answers:
    something similiar happened to me in mybb just reinstall the script thers nothing you can do about ur old stuff its gone

bootsandrew, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  3. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Terrible advice.

To OP: If you have backup then you should be able to do a phpbb2 -> phpbb3 upgrade. I do suggest you go to official support forums for instructions.

RectangleMan, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  4. proxywhereabouts

proxywhereabouts Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Since you said you have a database backup, then what you should do are (basic):

- Reinstall phpbb2 again in a new folder and import the old forum database.
    - Download phpbb3 and install it on your root. Answer all the questions, including database name, database administrator name and the password, specify forum admin and the password, as well as the table prefix. Choose phpbb3_ as prefix instead of the standard value of phpbb_ suggested by the install, in order not to have the “table already exists” error message during the table creation.
    -At the end of the phpbb3 standard installation, you will be asked if you want to go live, or if you want to migrate a previous phpbb2 database. Choose the migration option, you will be asked for the location of the phpbb2 forum to be converted, give the path ../oldforum.

proxywhereabouts, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  5. Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nuno Brito, Mar 9, 2010 IP