1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Help on what program I need

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Sportscapper Island, Oct 24, 2005.

If anyone can help me out here or lead me in the right direction I will be very greatful because I am lost on finding what exactly I am gonna need and where to find it.

What exactly I need is some kind of php script or database where I can assign people to log in and write on thier own page. Basically log in on thier page and update it when they want. All of this will be on my website viewable to everyone.

Thanks a bunch if you can help me out :)

What I am loooking for is basically to create a page on my website and assign it to someone to log into it and write what they want and update it when they want.

Sportscapper Island, Oct 24, 2005 IP
  2. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    You want a CMS (content management system) like Joomla, Drupal, etc.. Google those names. Then you make access groups that allow certain people to log in and publish.

TheHoff, Oct 24, 2005 IP
  3. Sportscapper Island

Sportscapper Island Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much. Are these management systems like php-Nuke or postnuke or are they completely different?

Thanks

4. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Sort of.. they are geared more towards publishing articles whereas the others are "portals" meant to lead into many different parts of a website.

You can also go the forum/portal route like vBulletin & vBAdvanced.. it would allow publishing via forum posts and forum usergroup access.

TheHoff, Oct 24, 2005 IP
  5. Sportscapper Island

Sportscapper Island Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah I have a Vbulletin Forum already. I am basically looking for something that I can inbed in my regular pages. That is the last thing Im looking for is a portal type thing. I just want something for people to log in and write articles. I want the pages to be exactly what my other pages of my site look like. header, footer etc

6. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Integrating with an existing look and feel will take some work, but what you want is a CMS.

TheHoff, Oct 24, 2005 IP
  7. Sportscapper Island

Sportscapper Island Peon

Best Answers:
    Crap, I have been looking around all day and all I have found is web site creators and managers. More or less website portals. I need something that is going to go with my current site, not to make a whole new one lol. This is going to be tougher than I thought

8. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Any sort of CMS will come with a default look and feel. You will be responsible (or hire someone) to make the CMS look like your site by changing the templates.

I think I know what you want.. just an article module that tacks on.. but most people want the full site development. I can't think of any article scripts off hand that don't try and run the entire site. Check hotscripts though, maybe something there.

TheHoff, Oct 24, 2005 IP
  9. Sportscapper Island

Sportscapper Island Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all of your help Will do :)

10. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    daboss, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  11. Sportscapper Island

Sportscapper Island Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress looks good but I have been reading and it looks like you need php and css knowledge to costumize and I have very little.

Sportscapper Island, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  12. Sportscapper Island

Sportscapper Island Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been looking at vBadvanced and it looks like it integrates into my VBulletin forum and is easy to costumize. Anyone have this ?

13. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used it on a lot of different sites. Personally I don't care for it since I typically do custom designs and a custom CMS.. Like all add-ons, it is very boxy and takes a good bit of work to customize the look.. otherwise it will look just like your vbulletin. I thought you didn't care for a portal? But yea, it will probably do what you want, but it also tries to take over the site as the homepage; you'll have to build your own front end to the articles.

TheHoff, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  14. Sportscapper Island

Sportscapper Island Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the wordpress alot but I read some things over there about customizing it and it looks very difficult. Id rather just get something simple and spend the time customizing right away then learning the damn thing, then customizing. I don't like the portal thing of it but I like the fact that you can fetch posts out of the forum on the page and display it as articles easily. I will probably either get the vBadvanced and costumize the crap out of it or I will look for some kind of article Mod for VBulletin and use that.

What do you mean by build my own front end for the articles?

15. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, you're on the right track.. if you know how to customize vBulletin already, you'll have an easier time with an article hack or one of the portals.

By build your own front end, I mean that the portal software has it's own "home page" that it expects to be the home page of your site.. if you want to use your own home page, you're going to have to use the portal in another way and just make it a front end for your articles.

TheHoff, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  16. Sportscapper Island

Sportscapper Island Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, I have my root directory with my homepage and different pages and my forum directory with my forum. I will probably install the thing in my forum directory. The index page for the vBadvanced is cmps_index.php so I guess I will have /forum/index.php for my forum like it is now and /forum/cmps_index.php for the portal thing. Will that work?

17. Sportscapper Island

Sportscapper Island Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you work for VBulletin?

18. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Nah, I do custom programming and interface design. I wanted to work for Jelsoft at one time but I don't think they could afford me now ;)

>>I guess I will have /forum/index.php for my forum like it is now and /forum/cmps_index.php for the portal thing. Will that work?

Yup, that should work. You can also rename the forum index.php to something else if you want-- there is an option in the vb3.5 admin control panel.

TheHoff, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  19. Sportscapper Island

Sportscapper Island Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks alot for your help :)

20. Sportscapper Island

Sportscapper Island Peon

Best Answers:
    Im just going to use vBadvanced and use it for strictly a front end for an articles page :) Thanks again