1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help learning how to build an app

Discussion in 'Programming' started by cassiekolsen, Oct 27, 2016.

Hey everyone!

I’m new to this board and looking for advice. I’m looking to build a photo-sharing iPhone app but I don’t know how to code myself. I’ve thought about trying to learn myself or hiring developers, but I sort of want someone to help me think through the software part of the idea before jumping in. Does anyone know of any good resources for this?

Thanks!

Cassie

cassiekolsen, Oct 27, 2016 IP
  2. GigiCat

GigiCat Peon

Best Answers:
    I was recently looking for this as well. Here's where I got with it:
    • You can DIY (Codecademy.com)
    • Talk to local devs near you (Check out meetups, etc)
    • If you want to talk to a pro then this is probably your best bet: https://tryblueprint.com
    I've tried all three, they each have their pros and cons but it mostly depends on your timeline and budget. Any insight on those?

GigiCat, Oct 27, 2016 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Look at BuzzTouch too

but before you go too far write out a business plan - plenty of templates available online.

My biggest concern would be that the photo niche is really heavily saturated. You start with all the editing apps, move on to things like 9Gag for humourous images and then there's instagram and facebook. You are going to need to have a really, really strong "point of difference" to justify your time and any expenses you incur.

sarahk, Oct 27, 2016 IP
  4. GigiCat

GigiCat Peon

Best Answers:
    Good points Sarah but I'm not sure I agree on a business plan unless it's a half pager around why it's different. I'm not too bullish on photo sharing apps myself tbh :/

GigiCat, Oct 27, 2016 IP
  5. cassiekolsen

cassiekolsen Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks @GigiCat! I'll check out tryblueprint.com.

@sarahk Yup, I've thought about the fact that there are so many photo apps out there but none of them really seem to do the thing that I want to do, which is making it so you can only share photos at specific times of day. I just don't know if that's possible to do, so I'd love to talk to someone about it first.

cassiekolsen, Oct 27, 2016 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Super easy to do, but why do you want people to share LESS?
    Most businesses want you to engage with their product/service MORE!

sarahk, Oct 27, 2016 IP
  7. jusarg

jusarg Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to develop apps in the future, I highly recommend that you learn how to develop them.

Hiring people can get pricey and be time consuming (especially when using cheaper help).

When I learned how to code I used something called a book... now-a-days though I see they have fully interactive beginner tutorials. I recommend you Google along the lines of 'beginner interactive iPhone tutorials'.
    Though videos are nice.... they don't work well for coding. Also DO NOT just copy and paste text-based tutorials. Actually take the time to learn how to code and it will save your countless hours and dollars in the future.
    I bet that they have multiple tutorials that teach you exactly what you want to know. I recommend you learn development fundamentals first and then dive into photo sharing iPhone app tutorials.

Good Luck

jusarg, Oct 31, 2016 IP
  8. mkkhatri

mkkhatri Member

Best Answers:
    You have chosen the tallest mountain climb first. I phone app development require skills of programing and you need to acquire that first. Best luck.

mkkhatri, Nov 7, 2016 IP