1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

need help in dmoz

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by windy, Aug 2, 2005.

I submitted my site to dmoz several months ago.
    But till now it still has not been include.

reply or PM me for any suggestion.
    Thanks .

windy, Aug 2, 2005 IP
  2. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Windy, my suggestion is to go on finding other ways to market and publicise your site, and not spend any time worrying about whether there is more you can do. There really isn't - once you have brought the site to the attention of the editors (by suggesting it) there is nothing more you can do.

Alucard, Aug 2, 2005 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Find the right editor to pay off or buy another domain that is already listed and point it to your site.

gworld, Aug 2, 2005 IP
  4. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Windy, Alucard is right, submit and forget. Gworld does have a good point though, you can buy an old domain, but I personally don't think that dmoz matters much in the big picture anymore so don't sweat it.

debunked, Aug 2, 2005 IP
    maldives likes this.
  5. KBurgandy

KBurgandy Peon

Best Answers:

You have played your part, now wait and watch. Don't worry that much about submission as now its not in your hand. So look for some other sites to submit yours one and try to get more backlinks. :)

KBurgandy, Feb 8, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  6. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If your site is not included, please read the guide lines again and resubmit it. It usually takes time specially if it is a busy catagory. Good Luck!

maldives, Feb 8, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.
  7. aramyus

aramyus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    watch before you resubmit

I read that re-submitting to DMOZ produces a reset and you get back at the end of the waiting list

Rumor say it is better to have a friend in the place to find out your status

aramyus, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  8. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to clarify:
    One resuggestion will not cause many problems, except as was mentioned it would overwrite the first suggestion and if the editor was reviewing by suggestion date (some do, many do not) it would sink to the bottom of the pool.

Hope that helps.

shadow575, Feb 8, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  9. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard, not reviewing by suggestion date. So are you telling poor Windy that someone may review his site in 5 or 10 years, or possibly never if the editor chooses no to any add sites that were suggested, but rather add sites the editor finds themselves.

Dear DMOZ editors, what is the rationale of letting editors add sites in any order they want, or even not reviewing any suggested sites?

EveryQuery, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  10. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Because the editors are volunteers - they can work on whatever they feel like working on at that particular moment. I typically review in alphabetical order when I'm in a "crank out the greens" mood. If I don't like the description on one site - I'll skip it and go on to the next. I typically review about 100 or so sites a week - if someone was to tell me that I had to review that animal passport site before I could review anything else, it might be awhile before the site behind it was reviewed. But if I can skip that site and come back to it another time, when I'm in the mood to learn more about animal passports - then the next 50 or so sites would be listed poste haste.

lmocr, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  11. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some submissions are clearly put together with great care to meet our guidelines. Many others are keyword stuffed nightmares. Editors with limited time to spend are naturally going to review the ones which look most listable first (and to require less work:) ).

In my limited experience (only 35K+ edits), I have to say that the spammiest listing suggestions tend to be coupled to the spammmiest websites and those least likely to be listable anyway. It's presumably a mindset thing.

I could bang on about ODP not being a free listing service for webmasters but I'm sure you've heard it all before so I won't.

jimnoble, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  12. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    The ODP is (and listen very carefully kids-it has been stated many times but for some reason there is still an issue with it) not a listing service period. The directory makes no guarantee that any site will be reviewed in any time frame.

Many editors add hunderds and thousands of sites without every using the suggested site pool. What is this world coming too - a volunteer working on their hobby might actually be free to spend their free time where they want doing what it is they want to do and other volunteers allowing it? ;)

13. ishfish

ishfish Peon

Best Answers:
    The ODP actually does guarantee a submittion will be looked at.

ishfish, Feb 8, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There are many benefits to this way of working. Imagine that editors wants to add his/her own site, conveniently suggested by someone else. Do you really think that they want to edit 100 or 200 other listings before they can add their own?

What happens if one of the suggestions belongs to their competitor and they don't approve? It can be cause for abuse complain, if they never get around to looking at it, there will be no abuse. ;) :D

gworld, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  15. EveryQuery

Best Answers:
    There's seems to be alot of confusion with these threads. Everytime I see one of these threads asking when will I get reviewed, some editors say, "Be patient, you will be reviewed," and others say, "Who ever guaranteed you a review?!" This makes things about as clear as mud.

16. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think if you re-read my post I said:
    I never said the site wouldn't ever be reviewed. My meaning was that there is no guarantee for any site that it will be reviewed in any specific amount of time. It could be anywhere from a couple of days to several years or more. Which if I recall correctly is explained in the next sentence following that one quoted.

Sorry if the way it was written wasn't clear.

17. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    I have read all responses from fellow editors and noone said "we don't garantee a review"
    What was written is "The directory makes no guarantee that any site will be reviewed in any time frame." The main part you did not see was "in any time frame".

Every suggested site will be reviewed sometime in the future. We just can't predict when this will be. Could be days from now or years. The oldest suggestion I personaly have seen was about 4 years before I looked at the site.

Conclusion:
    Will all suggested sites be reviewed: yes
    Who will review the site: noone knows
    When will the review be done: noone knows

pagode, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Good point. Not much else to say on that subject... That really sums it up.

That is where independant pay and free directories make more sense. IMHO, you stand a better chance of exposure submitting to a handfull of good pay or free directories.

Mia, Feb 8, 2006 IP
    maldives likes this.
  19. EveryQuery

Best Answers:
    Then why the hell does DMOZ accept "suggestions" from webmasters in the first place? I understand you are all volunteers and volunteers can do what they want and yada, yada, yada...but it seems to me that DMOZ would not be seen as the complete failure it is IF it would just stop taking "suggestions." Why not bring that up at the next club meeting?

20. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Because in some parts of the directory it brings new sites to the attention of editors quicker than if the editors had to go out looking by themselves. The suggestions don't just come from webmasters, anyone anywhere can suggest a site - they don't have to be affiliated with it.

Suggestions are turned off in some parts of the directory - for example where there is an alphabar, the top level will not have the suggest link because you're expected to find the appropriate letter and suggest there.

If the suggest links were turned off in the spammiest areas - then those sites would be suggested in other areas - which is why the spammy areas still accept suggestions.

Why do you want to limit the ability of a novel site to be suggested and listed almost immediately?

lmocr, Feb 8, 2006 IP