1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Guidance in Buying Expired Domains for Parking Purpose

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Michael Hill 7, Mar 20, 2015.

i am considering to buy few good CPC keyword based expired domains with high traffic
    then adding them to Domain Parking Service along with option to sell via bid.

is this sounds a Good idea?
    anyone have done this before? was it a good experience?
    guidance on what points should be considered while choosing & buying the expired domain?

Michael Hill 7, Mar 20, 2015 IP
  2. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You'll find it hard to make any money this way. Chances are if the domain name was left to expire then they weren't making it with the site.

Meaning if they had the same domain name, traffic, CPC why would YOU make money if they couldn't? Plus they had content which you will not have in your favor. Not a good business model.

kjh-08, Mar 22, 2015 IP
  3. yonatan82

yonatan82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well it is possible to buy a good CPC expire domain but it won't be cheap, one of the big expire domain companies such as namejet , namepros etc are going to catch it once it drop and it will go on a public action , the good ones sometime are being sold in the x,xxx area so its going to be easy to get.

yonatan82, Mar 25, 2015 IP
  4. Michael Hill 7

Michael Hill 7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i found some domains while searching the expired domains pits :)
    so i'll be going to register them

Michael Hill 7, Mar 26, 2015 IP
  5. StGeorgeHosting

StGeorgeHosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree, this way of making money is not good nowadays. The expired names are not cheap and the chances of making money out of it is less than 1%

StGeorgeHosting, Mar 26, 2015 IP
    H0stZealot likes this.
  6. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    There are a few sites that you could visit with respect to expired/expiring/dropped domains. Domcop is one.

I'm not big on parking expired domains, unless they are misspellings or still have a great source for traffic. Most lose their backlinks quickly these days. However, if its a 'premium' domain that you snatch up, then you could park it until you're able to resell it at auction or something.

usasportstraining, Mar 27, 2015 IP
  7. Textor

Textor Active Member

Best Answers:
    If the domains were doing a lot of money, they wouldn't be selling them. If someone is willing to sell you a domain, it's either expensive and it's making money, or, it's cheap, but does not generate any revenue.

The ads in parked domains get also only very low CPC ads.

Parked domains is only a business for registrars, which have a lot of domains, one way of the other.

Textor, Apr 5, 2015 IP
    H0stZealot likes this.
  8. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    some guidance:
    1) don't try to fool Digital Point community by using heavily photoshopped photo. If your name is Radjesh - so be it. But there is no way in the world you would be Michael Hill the 7th.
    2) Expired domains is a thing from late 1990's - early 2000's. You will not do anything good with them now.
    3) If you do want to invest into domain parking - consider registering several domains with new TLD's like .bank or .beer or .club - this has a much better chance of succeeding. about 5%. While the chance of succeeding with expired domains is way below 1%, as was stated above

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    H0stZealot, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  9. dave2013

dave2013 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Be certain you stick to .com. Also keep it short one or two words. That being said you can see that these names aren't available at reg fee. You will need to buy them from someone. Most forums (namepros and dnforum) have a domains with traffic for sale section. That's likely your best bet. Expect to spend high $xxx-$xx,xxx for each name that will make you any money.
    Sometimes you may get lucky and find a domain with traffic from backlinks, but that traffic will die with the backlinks. Feel free to pm me if you have more questions or want some examples of names I have which get type in traffic and make monthly revenue from parking.

dave2013, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  10. liquidone

liquidone Member

Best Answers:
    I want to know how your going to be certain that these domains actually have traffic? What are your metrics? Few of them are any good when it comes to quality traffic. And if they do have traffic how do you know the traffic is actually convertible?

FYI, Dynadot.com still allows "domain tasting" I think. So you can buy it there and if you don't like it you can return it for a small fee. Assuming that the domains your interested in have already dropped.

liquidone, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  11. dave2013

dave2013 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I stay away from relying solely on backlinks. I use google keyword tool to determine the search volume, then I consider based on the term if it's something that someone would type into their browser. Essentially only 1% to 4% of the searches will be type in. So for a name with 1700 monthly searches on google you can expect as low as 17 type ins per month.

dave2013, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  12. liquidone

liquidone Member

Best Answers:
    So are you buying just EMD's? Just curious how large your portfolio is and what kind of money are you making?

liquidone, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  13. cerno

cerno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Parked pages rarely show up in search results any longer so you only get a little type-in traffic most likely from domainers and competitors, not potential customers. I bought many good generic domains many years ago but I never see such names available any longer, and when even mediocre domains come up for auction the bidding is very competitive making domain prices too high to gamble.

I would recommend you decide on a product and buy a good domain and develop it, otherwise you are likely just throwing away money buying junk domains that others have dropped because they can't make any money parked. Why would anyone drop a domain that could make even the annual reg fee being parked. Unless you are willing to spend money developing and marketing a domain why would you have a better result.

I also agree you should not invest in anything but .com's. If you are developing a great site other extensions are ok, but I don't consider the domain itself as an investment in that case.

cerno, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  14. Michael Hill 7

Michael Hill 7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    so here are the results of this experiment.
    i got chance to register a free .CO domain at StartupWeekend event, so i registered domain and parked its total earning in 1.5 months is $ 0.21
    its same name in .COM is big sports blog, so majority traffic is from misspells

Michael Hill 7, May 5, 2015 IP