1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Developer To Fix Script For Yahoo Answer API

Discussion in 'Yahoo API' started by DirectoryDude, Apr 23, 2008.

I have a site that is using the Yahoo Answer API and as we all know the daily rate limit from that API is limited to 5000.

Currently I hit 200 per day max (excluding any search engines that indexes my site) and yet I frequently get the 403 error from Yahoo indicating the limit has been reached: Warning: file_get_contents(http://answers.yahooapis.com/Answer...Q&query=whateverIsearchFor&start=0&results=15) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden in /home/content/d/o/i/myaccountnamehere/html/domainname/myPHPapp/myapp.controller.php on line blahblah

I have shared hosting on goDaddy and recently upgraded to a dedicated IP thinking it would solve the problem but it did not.

I refuse to believe I am making 5000 calls to that API per day even including search engines that indexes the site so please help me pinpoint the problem and maybe suggest a solution ?

Do I really have to cache all the pages / use proxy / rss or do you have other suggestions ?

DirectoryDude, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  2. bobb1589

bobb1589 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is very possible that you could be making 5000 calls. Are you saying you have 200 visitors a day or 200 pageviews. You should probably look at how many pageviews a day you are getting and look and see if possibly that is reaching 5000.

bobb1589, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  3. DirectoryDude

DirectoryDude Member

Best Answers:
    I have maybe 200 pageviews per day max. I suspect it has to do with my host having multiple accounts calling the API from same server IP...not sure though

DirectoryDude, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  4. snatcher

snatcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yahoo has a sample caching function on their site. Its only about 5-10 lines, very simple.

snatcher, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  5. nabz245

nabz245 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Could you not have more than one key then make it rotate? - Probably against their TOS though.

nabz245, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  6. snatcher

snatcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, it blocks the IP address and all keys attempting incoming from that address. It does a good job of rate limiting you too. Hard to get around. Theres a place for you to apply for unrestricted API usage, but you probably need a site with a good reason for it.

snatcher, Apr 30, 2008 IP