1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need appraisal on 4 letter .com registered in 2000

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by spdude, Jul 8, 2005.

Booh.com, how much is it worth?

This is owned by a student of mine, and we were just curious as to how much people with experience think it is worth. The site has always been live since it was first registered in 2000.

spdude, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  2. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Low PR, not very many IBLs, couple thousand pages indexed. I'd say it's worth in the $200 - $500 range just for the coop weight it could have. :)

exam, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  3. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    The PR and IBLs are not what would interest a buyer.. I for one couldn't care less of co-op weight when assessing this domain.

The domain is OLD... like 5 years old and the name is all letters, no hyphens or numbers.. and it is a .com

I was interested in seeing what the *name* is worth... taking into account the fact that it is so old.

spdude, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    What comes to mind when you see booh? I do not have an association with those letters.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  5. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    A five year old domain will rank much easier than a one year old one.. for any term.. if the right amount of links were thrown at it, no?

spdude, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  6. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think there's any proof of this. As soon as you sell it the domain registry changes anyway.

The real question when valuing a domain is what kind of potential does it have? Branding? Name recognition? Resellable?

Other than being a short .com I don't see any reason why it would be of any special value... just like wqfg.com or pljh.com...

yo-yo, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  7. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I don't see why a 5 year old domain would rank faster than a recent domain

fryman, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  8. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Supposedly the sandbox doesn't apply to older domains PROVIDED there isn't a change in the registery. I made the mistake of making a change on a site I had owned since 1999 (but hadn't developed past the home page) and was caught in the sandbox for almost exactly 3 months. I went from out of the first 1000 to top ten on a lot of keywords overnight - and without adding any backlinks.

mjewel, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  9. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Old domians whose registration hasnt changed do rank easier and faster. Not sure if you can just 'throw' links at them though.

Design Agent, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  10. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Booh is pronouncable which would probably be a massive difference.

spdude, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  11. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    The name itself would be worth maybe $20-$30. IMO

exam, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  12. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    Since it is not a real word, I would guess a couple hundred bucks tops. But you never know, they may come out with a toy called "Booh" and you could strike it rich... ;-)

my3cents, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  13. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Ok, thanks for the opinions. I don't own this, and I wish I did.. Was just trying to see how much something like this is worth.

Personally, I would easily pay a couple of grand (no joke), for a pronounceable 4 letter .com which is five years old with *some* link popularity. (By pronounceable, I mean consonant, two vowels, consonant). If anybody has one that qualifies fully, feel free in PMing me.

Reason is because I personally control several million links (like coop guy).. and I could create isolated pages on it and rank them with minimum difficulty.

The genericness, pronounceability and shortness of the domain name is important, so as to maximize click through when the users see it in the serps. These would be my personal considerations.

I can understand how this would not be very valuable for one who does not control a significant number of links. heh... people were mentioning using the site to generate co-op weight.

spdude, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  14. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, you might have a point there.
    IMO that name would only be good for generating coop weight:D

exam, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  15. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. But the only problem with this particular domain is that the pronouncable version of it is really another common word/spelling (boo). So you would probably be sending half your word of mouth traffic to someone else's site.

my3cents, Jul 11, 2005 IP