1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

NEED ADVICE - Which next marketing job/career would suit me? I'd like your opinion !

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Akynos, Mar 3, 2019.

Hello !

My current work contract is expiring soon and I am looking for my next step. I have gathered that many of you are marketing veterans and I would be very grateful if you could spare a couple minutes to advise me !

My background:

24 y/o male

Speak English & French fluently, German & Spanish conversational

Business Management Masters

Job Experience:

-Intern Portfolio analyst (working mostly on Excel to consolidate 1000s of co's products by figuring out which ones were useful and not) - 6 months

-Samsung In-Store Phone Salesman - 6 months

-Currently E-Commerce management intern - working 90% on selling on Amazon - PPC, review generation, customer queries, listing optimisation and various related tasks - 6 months

My Marketing skills:

-I have background knowledge in most areas of digital marketing and sales. However, I am most experienced in selling on Amazon, as it is what I have been doing for the last 6 months.

I am confortable enough that if someone says "We want to sell on Amazon. We have the products, we have professional pictures and the administrative account creation stuff is done. Can you take it over?" I can confidently say that while I am no expert, I can.

My vision:

Enjoy a happy life fueled by personal progress and improvement, love, friendship and exciting activities, while improving the world in general on the aspects that I care about and feel excited about.

What I enjoy in my work:

I like the feeling of taking over an unoptimized baby business and having to think both logically and creatively in order to make it more successful. For example, taking over Amazon UK as it made barely a couple hundred pounds a day and finding ways to make it successful, especially the part where it was things that weren't obvious and needed a bit of thinking outside the usual toolbox, is fun. I love watching the results and seeing the business make more money every day. Results come in fast, and that's very rewarding and motivating. I like the diversity of things to do - I can be generating reviews, improving our tools, improving PPC, answering customers, creating sales...

I am not too keen on social media, as I am quite an individualistic person. Where some people like to be in the spotlight talking directly to people, I prefer to be running the show from behind the curtains. However, I do like analysing people and figuring out the best things to say to get them interested, so perhaps I am mistaken about my dislike of SM.

I would not be interested in maintaining a business. Growth excites me, daily duties do not. That's why I'm excited to go to work every day - because there's always so much potential growth. I've always been like that.

That's also why I left my previous job. At first, I was excited because it was new and I was growing. But once I stopped growing, there was nothing left to excite me. I was never going to make a difference to the company because I was too small a cog. There was no growth anywhere left.

What I need help on:

I am unclear about my job goal, aka which job could be ideal for me and I should be aiming for.

Similarly, I am unclear about my next job. I want my next job to:

-Be the next logical step towards reaching my job goal

-Keep me motivated

-Provide me with some decent salary

-Allow me to learn and grow skills that will be useful and in demand for many years to come.

Thank you for reading ! Any advice is most welcome !

Kind regards,

Martyn

Akynos, Mar 3, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That was very well written and made for an interesting read. For many years I was under contract for an advertising firm. I do believe based on what I've read here that you would be a good fit. My advice to you is to contact various advertising firms and let them know who and what you are.
    Advertising has to do with not only selling a product or service, but in also being able to sell yourself and you have done a good job of it with this thread.;)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 3, 2019 IP
  3. Akynos

Akynos Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Spoiltdiva, thank you very much for your advice ! I will write it down and investigate further. :)

Akynos, Mar 3, 2019 IP
  4. Akynos

Akynos Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone else has any advice? Please reply !

Akynos, Mar 4, 2019 IP
  5. Sara Alfred

Sara Alfred Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would recommend you to go for any Digital Marketing service providing company , they will grab you with both hands because you have got great skills and experience which indirectly links to digital marketing

Sara Alfred, Mar 6, 2019 IP
  6. Salman Saleem

Salman Saleem Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are two ways to go from here as i can see
    1. Get hired in an ads agency or digital marketing agency and get commission along with your salary what ever you sell, be it locally or amazon etc
    2. Work as a part timer. While the rest of your time, set up your own store i.e ecommerce or a consultancy site where you sell products locally or on amazon. Not necessary to sell products only, you can mentor and give training to people for good results in selling

Salman Saleem, Mar 6, 2019 IP