1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need advice on transfering SSL-enabled site from hosting to a localhost

Discussion in 'Apache' started by abrodski, Jul 1, 2015.

Hello!

I have a web site that has HTTPS. Right now I DO NOT have SSL certificate installed on hosting. They charge extra for that. I want to transfer my site to a localhost and then to install SSL on Apache myself. So I wonder whether I should pay them and have them SSL certificate installed on a hosting server and after that to copy to site to a localhost OR to leave it alone as it is now and just install SSL on Apache from scratch myself.
    I ALREADY have SSL certificate installed as it was PRIOR to my termination of my previous hosting account (when that archive ZIP file was originally created). It's already there files-wise, just not installed yet on my new (current) hosting server. And though I don't feel like wasting $25 for their job to install SSL's (I've got 2, but they charge for a bulk of an extra 10+1 free that comes with the hosting plan = 11 SSL's alltogether), money is not a critical point here. What is critical is the EASY path for me to get the job done. I'm not a big expert when it comes to system administration and Apache. And I'm a complete novice in Linux (I use W7/Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop edition dual-boot box).

abrodski, Jul 1, 2015 IP
  2. M0j0_j0j0

M0j0_j0j0 Member

Best Answers:
    Pay attention, you need to have a dedicated IP adress on your localhost, if so buy the certificate, for example on ssls.com you can get very cheap certificates. Installing on apache is quite simple, you shoud be able to find instructions online in a lot of places.

M0j0_j0j0, Jul 29, 2015 IP
  3. Roger S

Roger S Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

If you wish to use the site at localhost why will you care about the ssl.

Moreover, if you wist to use SSL desperately or wish to try it why don't you try the shared ssl certificate that you can do via the control panel..

Moreover if at all you need ssl try free SSL providers.

Alternatively wt don't you turn off https if you wish to move it to localhost.

Roger S, Dec 26, 2015 IP
  4. abrodski

abrodski Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply!

Though you're about half a year late with it. I've found the answer back in summer. But to make things clear, I'll explain. I know that I don't need HTTPS on localhost. But why would I need a site at all on localhost? Who's gonna see it, except me? The idea was to have a home-based hosting environment. But as a first step, I used XAMPP on Windows on localhost just to check out a few things prior to creating a normal server production environment on Ubuntu (with LAMP stack installed). Then I found out that I don't need my ex-hosting's services and their help in regards to SSL/TLS. I simply skipped it and then when everything was ready for it, installed secure protocol from scratch. And I did find a free SSL which works just fine.

So that's the whole story from the beginning to an end.

abrodski, Dec 27, 2015 IP