1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need advice on how to make a similar design

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Marie Liechman, Jun 15, 2021.

Hello everyone :)

I am making a project right now, kind of like a coursework for my Web Development uni subject. I want to make something complex so that I could use it not only for uni, but also for my portfolio in the future.

To give you some examples of what I’m talking about here is this website: https://www.eleken.co/saas-web-design

I know it was built using webflow, maybe someone here could help me with implementing something like this, or maybe telling me where to start. I’m completely new to webflow :(

Thanks!

Marie Liechman, Jun 15, 2021 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well the first thing I'd suggest is you forget idiotic halfwit TRASH like webflow. The ONLY thing you can learn from it is how not to build websites. Learn HTML, learn CSS, learn JavaScript, and then use then in a normal programmer's editor to make your pages using progressive enhancement and proper semantics. It is built by people who have ZERO business making websites, FOR people who have ZERO business making websites. That's why the results are always accessibility disasters, usability wrecks, and slow loading hard to maintain monuments to the 3i of web development: Ignorance, incompetence, and ineptitude.

Second, that site you linked to really is a poster child for what I'm talking about in terms of usability and accessibility trash. Entire page-heights at 1080p with maybe a dozen words on them? /FAIL/ at basic utility.

As evidenced by it being that "single page application" crap that is so poorly implemented it has no scripting off graceful degradation. Which is to say that by default many users who have scripting off / blocked get nothing more than an empty white page.

If this is something your university coursework is teaching you, I'd demand a refund for said courses.

deathshadow, Jun 16, 2021 IP
  3. Sphor

Sphor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried drag & drop development software for Wordpress like Divi (by Elegant Themes)?

It’s an incredibly powerful plugin for Wordpress and you can make some beautiful high end looking websites with ease, even if you aren’t the best with web development. Their support is great too.

Sphor, Jul 5, 2021 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Divi doesn't really count as "web development" and while they do produce beautiful pages they are bloated and break easily.

What would be a good project for a student is to write your own parallax theme with admin backend that does what you need and nothing more.

I was interested in a podcast on "headless WordPress", wpgraphql, and the rest API. If I was gearing up to have a career as a WordPress developer I'd be looking at putting together my own library of top notch plugins that do the bare minimum but do it really well. Most of the complaints about WordPress themes relate to poor programming. Learn how to enqueue scripts, learn how to write excellent HTML and css. Have a go using PHP to write headless layer to present the site. You may decide that it's awful, which is ok because at least you have an opinion.

sarahk, Jul 5, 2021 IP
    mmerlinn and Sphor like this.