1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

NBA in Domain Name (Or any other term)

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Tarum, May 27, 2012.

Hey,

I've seen quite a few blogs and websites with NBA in their domain, is it allowed to include certain famous terms if for example you won't talk badly about them or something like that? Do you need their permission? If yes, I doubt most of those got it.

Let's say something like "nbarecapdaily.com" - Not something I would want to register, but is that long enough to not fully focus on the term NBA?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Tarum, May 27, 2012 IP
  2. omgcats

omgcats Member

Best Answers:
    It's sort of a gray area and there aren't hard and fast rules. Sometimes it's ok to use a trademark in your domain name if the site is informational and you make it very clear that you aren't affiliated with the NBA.

However I think that most people will tell you that it's not worth the risk. If they take legal action against you it can be very expensive even if you are in the right, and they obviously have a lot more resources to pursue it than you do. You run the risk that you'll put a lot of time energy and money into marketing nbarecapdaily.com and raising awareness of the site only to have it taken away at any moment. It's definitely safer to develop basketballrecapdaily.com.

omgcats, May 28, 2012 IP
  3. Timon505

Timon505 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its not legal dude, better look for another name.

Timon505, May 28, 2012 IP
  4. Tarum

Tarum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks omgcats, I guess I'm not going with it then. However, if it's on blogspot like nbadaily.blogspot.com (and yes I know blogspot isn't great) is it fine then?

Tarum, May 29, 2012 IP
  5. ImageAuthors

ImageAuthors Member

Best Answers:
    Just avoid domains with trademarked terms. If in doubt, look up the term at Trademarkia.com to see if there is an active trademark in the same area you would be using the domain.

ImageAuthors, May 31, 2012 IP
  6. JerrickYeoh

JerrickYeoh Active Member

Best Answers:
    It too risky . You can find out that the top 5 search page, other than nba keywords in those official site. You cant find other nba keyword in domain name which rank on top.
    So better don't go with it . It highly protect by trademark.

JerrickYeoh, Jun 5, 2012 IP