1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Navigation bar in Dreamweaver. CSS or Spry menubar

Discussion in 'CSS' started by imza86, Jan 1, 2016.

Hi, i have always been using Spry Menubar before this to create my site navigation. I happen to see a tutorial where you can create a navigation menu with dropdowns using CSS. So whats the difference in both approach ? Anyone is better?

imza86, Jan 1, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously? Is this a real question?
    If you don't know the answer, you're not qualified to create websites. It's really that simple.
    Well, given that you're talking about using Dreamweaver, we've already established that you don't have much understanding of correct use of HTML and CSS, but the short answer is: a CSS menu is accessible, and will work even with CSS turned off, if it's done properly it's also easy to have it working regardless of resolution, orientation or screen size. A javascript based menu, like Spry bar, is an accessibility disaster, and should be avoided like the plague.

I seriously urge you to consider updating your understanding of web development to at least sub-par standards, and get some understanding of what has happened with web development the last 10 years.

First things first:
    Get rid of Dreamweaver. It's pure and utter garbage. If you need anything else than a basic text-editor and browsers to test your code in, you're doing something wrong.
    Do a basic HTML course. There are several online, HTML Dog has one that should be good.
    Second, learn how to use CSS. This is a somewhat learning by doing field, and you'll undoubtedly stumble upon a lot of bad advice, but as long as the HTML you start out with is sound, the CSS should more or less be self-explanatory, at least until you start into advanced CSS3 cases.
    After all that, you can start thinking about perhaps, maybe, add some javascript to your page, if it's needed. Remember the old saying that if you can't make the site work without javascript, you definitely shouldn't add javascript to it. Javascript it meant to enhance functionality, not BE the functionality. At least as long as you make a publicly accessible website, and not a web-app with restrictions.

PoPSiCLe, Jan 1, 2016 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    PoPSiCLe's response may seem a bit harsh, but it's pretty much spot on. The only thing you can learn from Dreamweaver is how NOT to build a website, and garbage like Spry much like every other mouth-breathing dumbass framework just pisses on websites from so on high you'd think the Almighty just got back from a kegger.

Using just HTML and CSS typically means less code (if you have any clue what you are doing), it means zero reliance on the presence of JavaScript, and it means you at least have a chance at things like graceful degradation so you aren't telling large swaths of users to go **** themselves.

Simply put, spry -- much like everything else Adobe sleazes out -- is outdated outmoded scripttard bull. At best a crutch for the inept, at worst nube predating scam artist nonsense... and fat bloated halfwit scripttard BS like this:

http://adobe.github.io/Spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBar.js

... and bloated ignorant CSS like:
    http://adobe.github.io/Spry/widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css

... is why it's a sham. 21k of JavaScript and 5k of CSS doing the job of 1 or 2k of CSS! The only reason to have scripting there is if you care about the menu working in IE6/earlier, and even then something like PeterNed's Whatever:hover can polyfill via a behavior file in less than 3k!

Always remember, when it comes to web technologies the only thing from Adobe that can be considered professional grade tools are the people promoting its use!

deathshadow, Jan 1, 2016 IP
    PoPSiCLe likes this.
  4. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Who are you, and what have you done with @deathshadow? :^0

kk5st, Jan 1, 2016 IP
  5. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I'm a bit mellow right now, went mute thanks to strep... which the antibiotics isn't quite doing the job on, so the doctor gave me a prescription for the "good stuff" in terms of cough syrup. Nothing like a little codeine to straighten you right out.

So don't harsh my flows man...

PoPSiCLe likes this.
  6. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    SOMEBODY had to take over when you took a hiatus of being the loudmouth douchebag of the forum ;) And I'm not very X-masy in spirit, so I get cranky this time of year. Doesn't help that I got back to the forum after next-to-no internet-connection at the cabin I was staying at over X-mas, and then I see a lot of half-assed, next-to-ilegible posts which makes almost no sense. Makes me a bit grumpy.

PoPSiCLe, Jan 1, 2016 IP
  7. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I'm more irked by the glut of one-post wonder-bans bouncing 5 to ten year old threads...

8. imza86

imza86 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys LOL. It is because i have seldom been doing websites via HTMl, dreamweaver for past few years. I have been using wordpress. Now i am retraining myself back again.

imza86, Jan 2, 2016 IP
  9. Sharma Ankush

Sharma Ankush Member

Best Answers:
    a navigation bar is better in CSS you can make verticle horizontal and multi-navigation bar in menu

Sharma Ankush, Mar 22, 2016 IP
  10. Web_Dev_Chris

Web_Dev_Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's worse? Wordpress or Dreamweaver? It may seem like a stupid question but I'm serious!

Web_Dev_Chris, Jun 22, 2016 IP
  11. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They are not comparable. One is at best a very expensive text editor and at worst a wysiwyg PoS, and the other is a blog oriented CMS that has been expanded beyond its fitness for purpose.

There is no rational reason to use Dreamweaver. A case can be made for WP, IFF you learn enough to be able to modify whichever plugins you choose to properly integrate them into the whole. Steal ideas from the various off the shelf themes, but if you can't write your own, you're not yet competent.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 22, 2016 IP