1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Native English Speakers

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by dmi, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Suki

Suki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I get what you mean. It just isn't easy being neither here nor there! I try to keep the word "Indian" off my applications, and let my work speak for itself.

Suki, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's probably the best thing you can do. Another option is to forget about trying to compete with the other Indian writers you'll find in places like DP. I know Indian writers who charge more than I do, and their English is fantastic (both formal and conversational). When you target higher paying markets, they might ask where you're located (it can dictate whether or not they can pay, as some only take US, UK, etc. writers for various business reasons), but for the most part I've rarely if ever seen them ask for "native English speakers" up front.

jhmattern, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  3. lostpoet

lostpoet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dammit! I should've started reading the 'Copywriting' section a long time back! Time to hit the RSS on the entire sub-forum.

Yennyway, this thread has been a great read so far. Quite enlightening and slightly voyeuristic even. I am taking notes. :D

lostpoet, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  4. stuart.letterman

stuart.letterman Guest

Best Answers:
    I would suggest a quick phone call myself. Just to point out, not to discriminate about the accent but if you ask particular question on the subject you want them to write on, a decent English speaker/writer shouldn't be umm-ing and ahh-ing claiming a complicated word is on the tip of their tongue every time! Also, do they sound confused if you use a quirky phrase like 'it's raining cats and dogs'?

We all struggle sometimes but in such a competitive market you shouldn't have to compromise and waste money chasing people with a limited grip of the language.

stuart.letterman, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  5. Zabrina

Zabrina Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting idea, but I think this might turn off some potential writers. I don't like speaking over the phone to clients, simply because I have an accent that's a strange mix of British, Canadian, and something else people can't place. I also have difficulty hearing people over the phone, so I just dislike it and much prefer communicating through text.

Asking them questions in an email is another idea. For example, you could ask them to write 100-150 words on what their favourite writing subject is, and why, or 100 words on how they think their writing experience prepares them for your assignment. Questions like these are unusual and not "copy and paste" samples, meaning they will almost certainly require writers to actually write an answer and provide a glimpse into their "true style".

Note: this doesn't mean you should ask for full-length samples, necessarily.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    Zabrina, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  6. lostpoet

Best Answers:
    Some people write way better than they speak. Then what? I think it is better to ask them to write a 'short' sample on 'any' topic. That makes it clear that you won't be scamming them and just want to see some work.

That, their portfolio and the emails exchanged should be enough for separating the wheat from the chaff.

lostpoet, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  7. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you're willing to accept a sample on "any" topic, then there's no reason to need anything beyond their portfolio -- that's precisely what that is. Anyone even remotely professional will have one (they can build one even if they're new, so they have no excuse not to).

jhmattern, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  8. Zabrina

Zabrina Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to clarify my previous post... I agree, any sample is good enough. Asking them to write a full-length sample or several on a topic of your choosing sounds scammy, though.

:)

Zabrina, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  9. lostpoet

Best Answers:
    @jhmattern - Yes, that be the idea. I said small article in case someone REALLY wants to see a writer's current capability (and may be speed, but that shouldn't really matter). And you are right, judging me by my portfolio (and communication) is what I expect from a client before he starts paying me.

lostpoet, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  10. Natay

Natay Guest

Best Answers:
    Guys, I'm sure it's not just the matter of people lying about their origine. There are native speakers who can't write proper English, as well as there'r foreigners whose speaking and writing skills are way better. It's all about professionalism and a person's ability to estimate his own skills.

Natay, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  11. parkercent

parkercent Peon

Best Answers:
    I've read some really good things by non-native speakers, and I've read some not-so-great things by native speakers. Some people from certain countries often make the same grammar mistakes, from the original language patterns. You get to where you can recognize them. Like, a Chinese writer will often write "American" as the name of the country, or get "French" and "France" backward. It's a fun game to play, Guess My Country. Like, the way Natay writes I would guess some French influence ("origine").... or it could just eb a typo :)!

I think the key ingredient is really authenticity. Not having to speak perfectly, but speaking sincerely and not misrepresenting yourself. And taken to extremes, not trivializing other peoples' cultures by assuming you understand all you need to about their language and not needing to meet any standard of communication skill.

parkercent, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  12. jazmi00

jazmi00 Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't know if I've posted in this thread before, although I do remember seeing the topic. Anyhow, you're definitely right about saying that it doesn't matter if English is your native language. A lot of English speaking people can't write worth a darn, so that doesn't give you much of an advantage. You've still got to have kick ass writing skills to cut it as a writer, and everyone won't make the cut, and that's a fact.

jazmi00, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  13. PowerFulBanner

PowerFulBanner Peon

Best Answers:
    Well atleast they speak english.. Better than non i think. I am from non speaking english country and i speak very good. Only the writing i forget commas and stuff sometimes.

PowerFulBanner, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  14. masterpeace

masterpeace Guest

Best Answers:
    it doesnt really matter whether you are a native english speaker or no....cause im an indian and have got a good response for article writing in WF....

masterpeace, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  15. lavina dias

lavina dias Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. What matters in Article/Content writing is fluency. If your writing makes sense, then I don't think you should be offened for not being a native English speaker.

lavina dias, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  16. MoneyWrite

MoneyWrite Member

Best Answers:
    There's also the matter of cultural as well as linguistic fluency. Someone who has a good idea of what is going on in their target customers' minds should be worth a bit more.

MoneyWrite, Oct 17, 2009 IP
  17. FutureCPA

FutureCPA Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, being a "native" speaker means next to nothing. I remember back in college there was a native Chinese person who sat next to me in a business writing class who would consistently get higher marks than me on our assignments. Granted, he had some weaknesses when it came to creative writing but he could write a research paper with the best of them.

Really, I just think it comes down to your intelligence and the amount of schooling you've had.

FutureCPA, Oct 17, 2009 IP
  18. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am a native English speaker and I can usually tell if someone is or not 99.9% of the time.

I can also tell if they are English, Australian or American by the phrases, writing style and slang.

English has a different sentence structure then most languages and non-native writers just don’t write it like native writers.

I have know a few people that lived in the states for some years and practiced the language and were fluent and sounded and wrote just like a native they are the .01%

averyz, Oct 17, 2009 IP
  19. MoneyWrite

MoneyWrite Member

Best Answers:
    I strongly disagree. Writing for consumers is not about simply putting the facts down in a logical agreed format in the same way that a research paper is, it is about either explaining or selling to them.

Thinking in a languange means that you can see whether a structure is right or wrong without having to be told why. It's being able to engage the reader and pull them along. It's about explaining reasonably complex areas in fairly simple terms, in ways that you know that almost all of them will understand.

I would guess that most of the really cheap writers have a near equivalent education to the native speakers who command four or five times as much. If I ever get round to getting my French back to where it was, I would not expect to do anything more than write a few notes in very simple terms and expecting (not liking) many grammatical howlers. It doesn't mean I'm bad at French or uneducated. It just means that I haven't got the structure down pat, I think in another language and any idiom I use will be clumsy and - frankly - best avoided.

Are there English people who can write French and pass as a native, or write so elegantly that they are better than most native French speakers? Undoubtedly. Unfortunately they are the exceptions.

MoneyWrite, Oct 24, 2009 IP
  20. goneill

goneill Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi All,
    I hate to say this but the three words say it all "Native English Speakers"

Means any one outside of the UK does not qualify, I suppose that will upset a lot Americans?.
    You do not even use the English spelling. This is one of the problems with using
    MS Office, I have to add the correct spelling to the MS dictionary.

I am open to offers to write articles. Please reply, I can assure you of a very good price. Some background information, Male, BSc Honours, MSc, MBA and available for work.

George

goneill, Nov 5, 2009 IP