1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Native developer looking for analytics help

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by MattDev, Oct 18, 2018.

I'm a front end developer looking to set up google analytics. In my naivety I though analytics was simply achieved by dropping a GA tag such as the below code onto all my pages however this doesn't appear to be the case.

<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Analytics -->
    <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=UA-XXXXXXXXX-X"></script>
    <script>
      window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
      function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
      gtag('js', new Date());

gtag('config', 'UA-XXXXXXXXX-X');
    </script>
    Code (JavaScript):
    I'm looking to track the following:
    1. Where a user has come from to my site organic / paid
    2. If possible what google ads campaign they came from (or social media campaigns)
    3. The user journey on the site
    4. The journey on our site after a form has been submitted

The added complication is that all our forms are hosted externally not on our website and hosting them our self isn't currently an option. So the user journey would essential be:

User is referred to our site from a source > User browses site > User clicks a CTA > User is redirected to mysitename.thirdparty.com > user is redirected back to our site on form submit > user journey continues.

Is it possible to track this journey? Is Google analytics the right tool and does anyone have any useful resources they can point me to? Does an idiots guide to achieve the above exist?

Any help is much appreciated.

MattDev, Oct 18, 2018 IP
  2. michaelrocz

michaelrocz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    michaelrocz, Nov 13, 2018 IP