1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

National Cathedral to perform same-sex weddings

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by grpaul, Jan 9, 2013.

Wow, are we progressing as a society.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-01-09-02-48-14

Our priorities, as a country, are completely SCREWED...

Unbelievable....
    grpaul, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  2. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Greater acceptance of gay couples, gay life, and gay marriage is as much a function of age, and changing perspectives as anything and cuts across political perspectives.

More than anything it is primarily pushed by younger folks who simply accept it across the nation in many more environments. Newt Gingrich who once described it as "paganism" now accepts it openly and verbalized that: http://www.care2.com/causes/a-sign-of-the-apocalypse-newt-gingrich-accepts-gay-marriage.html His sister, or half sister is gay, and I believe she is married. One of Cheney's daughters is gay and I believe she is in a gay marriage. Cheney loves her and her spouse and fully supports her.

I've been to the National Cathedral. Its both huge, monumental, and beautiful. Regardless of what its name is, its leadership supports gay marriage.

Let it happen and good luck to the couples who get married there.

If you have a hard time with that there are very friendly places like Iran, and Syria, and North Korea that support your perspective.
    earlpearl, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  3. grpaul

grpaul Active Member

Best Answers:
    Typical response...
    grpaul, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  4. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You've got to cut those aging and backward thinking Republicans some slack. It takes them a lot longer to get with newer cultural phenomenons. For instance, I was reading a scientific write up in the left leaning Guardian and this is what they had to say.

Perhaps one day pedophiles will no longer be discriminated against for their sexual preferences and will be able to express their love, freely and openly, perhaps with some of your children and/or grand children.

'There is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so.' - William Shakespeare with the complete agreement of Friedrich Nietzsche​
    Obamanation, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  5. Rebecca

Rebecca Notable Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It's getting to be. On page 1 in the gun thread I said, "It's our Constitution (and those that defend it) that protects our right to own a gun." In response EarlPearl said I should move to Syria too.

lol.
    Rebecca, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  6. grpaul

grpaul Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, gotta love the leftist logic..

As the Liberal's continue to try to figure out what's wrong with society (for the next 100 years) we should all move to Iran, and Syria, and North Korea.

Earl, again, I love your attitude and headupyourarse view on life. What an easy going, free spirit... /sarcasm

It's sad that the Left is incapable of seeing what the actual problem is with society.. :)
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    grpaul, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  7. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    @Rebecca: Did I write that to you? Well if its printed here I did. So be it.

There are some issues in general that get my goat. Guns are one of them. I'm not against gun ownership. I am and was appalled by the turn of politics that essentially changed the flavor of how the US deals with guns. Since around the 1990's the NRA and various gun interest groups turned gun ownership into a "fear issue" and a threat issue, "scoring politicians" on their support of gun legislation. Jesus F Christ. If a politician in the Senate supported a US nominee for a position as a Judge or Justice on the Supreme Court the NRA would score that vote based on how the NRA and its gun special interests viewed that judge vis a vis potential rulings on firearms.

The NRA became a strong arm mafia like enforcer on legislators who might vote on judges based on the NRA's sole interest in a proprietary interest. The NRA was highjacking democracy. Since the 1990's any kind of reasonable efforts to put controls on gun ownership that would either check on mother fuckers who should never have them and/or cut back on assault weapons or volumes of ammo that NOBODY needs...have been completely stymied and stopped.

What do we have? A nation that is supposed to be civilized.

Our civilized nation has THE WORST STATISTICS among similar nations of wealth and other attributes with regard to death by guns. We are the worst. We kill each other the most. We do the most damage.

What the fuck don't people understand? Seriously.

That doesn't mean strip everyone of guns or prevent hunting or other elements. It simply means treating this issue with brains rather than fear induced by gun interests that are simultaneously using enforcer tactics to elevate guns over anything else.

In Florida idiot conservative legislators and the governor got legislation passed to shut the mouths of doctors concerned about the health and lives of little babies if the doctors brought up if a family owned guns.

What kind of idiocy is that???? Doctors trying to take care of the health of babies are being legislated against by the special interests of the high and mighty gun industry.

The courts ruled against that stupid legislation as a violation of freedom of speech of the docs....but the conservatives in Florida are fighting that.

My advice would be if you want to have kids....leave Florida. The politicians in that state value guns and gun manufacturers more than they value little babies. Either that or the gun interests are so threatening those legislators that if they don't support that law the gun interests will support some further maniac.

Take the threats out of the debate. At some point there is an opportunity for both gun ownership and laws that can better protect people against the violence that hit

Aurora, Colorado, Newtown, CT, Rochester, NY, rural Pennsylvania and hits across the country every day.

But that is tough with the current political environment wherein the gun interests are spreading fear and using enforcer tactics to get crazy legislators with radical perspectives to block any common sense approaches.

Until that time we will remain the nation with the WORST record for protecting its own people...and more little kids in schools, and people sitting in theaters, and fire fighters will get shot up by killers, protected by the NRA and its friends.

When it comes to the Gay population I've evolved over time. I'm old compared to most everyone on this forum. I grew up very gay phobic and anti gay. Its taken a lot of years to evolve. The 20 and 30 year olds of this nation are way ahead of me. They frankly don't give a rats ass to a significant degree about people being gay and they don't have those phobias. And frankly a set of parents like the Cheney's had to confront those issues far more directly than you or me. They support their gay daughter as parents should, and they supported her marriage: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/dick-cheneys-daughter-marries-her-partner/

Now that guy can spin a conservative political line with the best of them and lives and breathes conservatism. But nothing in the world stopped or prevented his daughter from being gay. No church or upbringing or any other bs crap was going to change that. She is who she is.

and her parents support her as they should as parents.

You can quote all your bullshit crap about principles and conservatism and family values. The world is changing and in the realm of accepting gay people as people first, frankly the folks in their 20's and 30's are way ahead of the game.

Or: Gr: move to Iran. They kill gays there. You might like that.
    earlpearl, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  8. grpaul

grpaul Active Member

Best Answers:
    ?

NRA NRA blah blah blah NRA.

Congrats, you've earned yourself a:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    grpaul, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  9. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    And pedophilia.

BTW, I'm indifferent to gay marriage. When the voters vote it in, that's fine with me. What I would like to vote in is a law taking away marriage tax benefits. There is no reason for our government to be promoting marriage. Child tax benefits are great and should stay, but marriage tax benefits for gay and/or straight couples should disappear altogether.
    Obamanation, Jan 9, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  10. grpaul

grpaul Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wish they would actually attempt to vote things like this in rather than deciding it's what most Americans want.

As for Government "promoting marriage" - what do you mean exactly when you say that? They shouldn't be promoting strong family, values, etc.?
    grpaul, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  11. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    careful, Obamanation: you might end up confusing the 12 year old parrot of right wing perspectives. guide him carefully.
    earlpearl, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  12. grpaul

grpaul Active Member

Best Answers:
    Awww.....

Did we hurt your feelings?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    grpaul, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  13. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    The "Family" as you and I knew it is long dead. More and more people in America who want to stay in the middle class have dual income, which means very little time for kids unless you want them raised by day care. Throw in the 50% of marriages that end in divorce and another 50% of the ones that don't which are unhappy and it becomes much more difficult to understand why the government should be promoting it all.

IMO, the only legitimate reason to promote(Give special tax status, tax breaks) to married couples should be for children, because children cost a helluva lot and require an enormous amount of time to raise if you don't want to turn them into criminals or some other type of ward of the state. Also because two parents instead of one provide a much higher probability of success when it comes to child rearing.

Regarding what values the government should promote, I tend to leave it at "Don't harm others". Strong family values come from strong families and religious organizations(as much as it pains me to say it), not from the government. I don't want the government telling me with fiscal policy that I should be married any more than the Catholic church want's it telling them they need to provide day after pills and abortion coverage. Had I not decided to have children, I would likely have never married and continued to resent the special tax treatment married couples receive. Right or wrong, those are my values.

When it comes to gay people, specifically gay men, they tend to be high income earners, often both partners in the relationship. Throwing tax breaks at the wealthy because they decided to commit to each other seems ridiculous.
    Obamanation, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  14. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    oh geez O-nation: those comments about marriage would be blasphemy in a lot of far right, family value circles. You might be leading this poor 12 year old astray. Be careful, you don't want to lose him. In about 10 years he might be able to back up his "feelings" with a full sentence or a fact.

Nah.....probably not.
  15. grpaul

grpaul Active Member

Best Answers:
    Coming from a person spewing NRA and guns in a thread about same-sex marriage, that makes a lot of sense.

No surprise to see a Lefty leaning dingleberry like yourself get all bent out of shape and start insulting people when a discussion comes up like this. "Family values", "Morals", "Sanctity of Marriage", all things that make a Liberal brain hurt.

Go play outside, while the normal thinking humans try to have a convo please..
    grpaul, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  16. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    did somebody else put those sentences together for you?
  17. grpaul

grpaul Active Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/22/u...gent-call-for-progressive-values.html?hp&_r=0

1.) Why is it OK for a President to mention same-sex marriage in an inauguration speech, but if someone mentions the importance of marriage between a man and a women they are stoned to death?

2.) Does it REALLY take 4 years to evolve an opinion on same-sex marriage? Is he THAT slow..?

3.) How does "the acceptance" of same-sex marriage make us any better as a society and a country.

4.) What is the constant obsession with downgrading marriage between a man and a women?
    grpaul, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  18. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    1. Who is stoning to death folks who support marriage between men and women? Who? Where is it occurring?

Its not. And if you checked them out, Barack and Michelle Obama seem to be a very attached monogamous couple, in many ways there level of attachment to one another looks feels and sounds like that of George and Laura Bush.

Obama does not attack traditional marriage. If you can find important folks in the main stream society who are ripping marriage between men and women why don't you report them.

2. obama changed his official stance. it came following election results. Immediately after the GOP got trounced in the election a lot of members of the GOP came out for more liberalized efforts with regard to immigration. Senator Rubio is putting out a very different program for treating illegal immigrants than the vicious program Republicans supported prior to the election. It appears that elections make big differences in how politicians of all stripes will speak on an issue.

But before the election Dick Cheney came out and entirely supported his daughter who is in a same sex marriage with another woman. When he did this he DID NOT SAY the rest of you who engage in same sex marriages are ruining America.

Following the election Newt Gingrich publicly supported same sex marriages. At earlier times he attacked it viciously as a moral disgrace. I wouldn't put much substance into how politicians mouth their opinions on moral kinds of issues. many of them follow the public.

3. It has to do with treating Americans equal. The constitution is pretty clear about treating Americans equally.

4. Again, nobody of substance is downgrading marriage between men and women.

When you get old enough to start school you might get a better grasp on some of these issues.
    earlpearl, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  19. grpaul

grpaul Active Member

Best Answers:
    Earl, do you sleep with one of these at night?

[​IMG]
    grpaul, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  20. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    GR: you are a joke with regard to real thoughts or thinking.

You copied and pasted this picture. Big deal. No brains. Before that you copied someone else's ideas. It was the closest you ever came to a real developed thought. Meanwhile, those ideas and whine's are entirely half baked concepts non supported in any way.

Start school. Learn to read. Learn to write. Learn to add. Learn to think and articulate. Return to this forum in a few years.
    earlpearl, Jan 23, 2013 IP