1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

N00b question: how to get started?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by qscomputing, Nov 1, 2004.

Hi,

I have a website (http://www.qscomputing.plus.com) which I would, obviously, like to get more traffic to. I've heard about SEO, but would like more information. For example, I have been looking at the number of searches for keywords for my site - which is the better to aim for: the basic keyword with 56000 or so searches in the last or the more specific keyword with only a few hundred searches?

Perhaps somebody could point me to a website with lots of useful information on how to get started!

Thanks,
    - QS Computing.

PS. This is not a troll and sorry if I sound too n00b-ish. SEO is something totally new to me!

qscomputing, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  2. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have already found the best resource. Use the search tool to search the forums

NewComputer, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  3. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to prefer the more specific keyword. Not so many searches on it, but you'll get more targeted traffic, and aiming for the more specific keyword may help with the general keyword.

stephfoster, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  4. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey... no way it came across as a troll to me. NC is right... stick around, browse and search threads... there is so much gold here it is unbelievable:)

IMO, sticking around and just partaking in the forums is the most rapid learning curve...

btw, my current strategy is to optimse for each page with a different low competition keyword, but one that will be likely to attract people interested in the broader site... so for my www.hypnosisaudiocds.com site, I'm currently optimising www.hypnosisaudiocds.com/insomnia-hypnosis.php for the keyphrase "insomnia hypnosis"... my plan is that this will attract people to that page who may be interested in other products, by virtue of their interest in hypnosis.

I don't know if it is the "best" strategy, but it makes a logical sense to me and it is early days yet.

Have fun...

Trance-formation, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  5. Dji-man

Dji-man Peon

Best Answers:
    Dji-man, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  6. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a great resource, you just have to filter out a lot of chatter. The main things to bear in mind: write good clean optimized copy on your pages, find and get as many links to your site with the specific key words/phrases in the anchor text as you can, and submit to the open directory. The odds are 50/50 of getting listed, but if you don't submit, the odds are 100% that you won't get listed. Other than that, stick around, read the threads, search on topics which you find of interest and don't feel bad for asking questions.

Oh yea, btw, welcome to the site. :)

mopacfan, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    One hint: try to optimize for two-, three-, and four-word keyphrases rather than single words. Single words tend to generate huge numbers of entries and what searchers will then do is add more words to narrow down the field.

Think about adding a regional term as one of the words in your phrase, if appropriate for your site -- for example, "computing supplies Chicago" or whatever...

minstrel, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  8. qscomputing

qscomputing Peon

Best Answers:
    A few forums that I used to visit quite a bit seemed to regard all n00b questions as trolls. Because I'm new to this forum, I thought I better play it safe and add that note at the end of the post. It's good to know that this forum is a friendlier place!

Thanks for the advice.
    - QS Computing

qscomputing, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Well QSComputing, you asked your question in the best way a newbie can do it IMO.

Adding to the answers above; I would opt for the lower-search, multi-word keyphrase too.

Yes it is way more targeted, you want sales or high conversion, not necessarily traffic
    Yes it is often a lot easier to rank nicely on
    Yes it is easier to optimize for

Also: Optimizing for 'christmas carol lyrics' will, to some extent, get yuo out there for all three words + all combinations. On the other hand, optimizing for 'christmas' won't get you anywhere for all those other options. See what I mean (over-simplified but true).

Another tool which will help you in deciding on the right phrases is the trial (or full version) of www.wordtracker.com . Very handy to find some gems out there.

And don't forget to get a million links to your pages, with the right anchor text (the phrases you choose to optimize for).

And sign up for the Keyword Tracker to track your progress.

T0PS3O, Nov 2, 2004 IP