1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mysterious Google Analytics Folder on my Server!

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by Tara33, Oct 17, 2008.

I don't understand what this is all about, and I am really hoping someone can explain it to me...

When I log in to our web site server, which is hosted by BellSouth.net, via my FTP client, I see a weird list of folders and files. This is on the top level, when I log in using "http://" as my prefix, rather than "ftp://".

1. My folders and files in this view are all jumbled, and what is there totals maybe 1/10 of the total site. Most of my folders and file are NOT seen here.
    2. I have circled 2 strange, fully-loaded (with web site content) folders, that belong to 2 web sites we link to from our site. One, is Google Analytics.
    I first saw the Google folder a few months ago, when I was attempting to download our web site. The download came to the Google Analytics folder, and it began to download all this content...tons and tons of content, actually. It nearly overwhelmed my computer, so I stopped it.

Then, after adding a link to abc.org a couple of months ago, I now see their web site content (or something) is on my server too. I see each page file, folder, data file of their site when I expand the folder!

What is all of this? I have NEVER seen this before, and when I contacted BellSouth, they told me that I MUST HAVE PUT IT ON THE SERVER. What? How would I EVER have access to such things?

Someone, please get me out of the dark. Enlighten me!:eek:

Here is a screenshot:
    http://www.stainless-railing.com/images/google-abc-folders.jpg

Thank you!

Tara33, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ask your host about those folders
    may be an automated script from your host does such

myself after 11+ years web publishing never heard/experienced such on my site

the possibility would be hackers uploading a phishing site hidden in your folders
    download BOTH folders plus entire content - no matter how long it takes
    then LOOK at the files exactly and see what they do

then

look EXACTLY at your access_log files to see if any of those uploaded folder/files somehow appear in your access-statistics - hence if any traffic TGO these files exist

hans, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  3. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Hans. I contacted my host company again, and received the following reply. Does this make sense to you?

"I am not sure why the folders would be on your site, but the naming scheme of each folder seems to point to a cookie or automated file like situation (the http in the folder name specifically). I have not used google-analytics before so I do not know whether they store any data on the customer's host server. That may explain part of the mystery."

Tara33, Oct 20, 2008 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tara
    did u have a look at the full content of these folders ?

in 12 years of web publishing I only had ONE single cause to have foreign folders within my server space = HACHERS.

google analytics NEVER uploads ANY files to any web space / web site !!

if NO hacker then a left over from earlier server-user/HDD-user. very unlikely.

download all - no matter HOW long it takes - even a full week, download if necessary on a second line or at an office of a friend with faster connection. YOU need to KNOW empty of any doubt or guess what is inside those folders - every file !!

I have done downloads lasting 4 full days .... nonstop! on slow dial up lines years ago.

hans, Oct 20, 2008 IP
  5. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    Upon contacting my host again, I was told that nothing in any of these folders appears to be malicious, even though there is no explanation for their being here. They are as confused as I am. You would think that hosting companies would be able to dig deeper to find the real cause, but they too, say it's something they've never seen, and are not familiar with. That's pretty much all they have said they can do...

At a glance, it appears that I can download pages and files outside the folders inside these mysterious folders. If I double-click on a folder, it gives me a "404 not found" error. The ABC folder in particular, because I know their web site, appears to be their full site content. It has areas inside that I recognize when browsing their web site.

It occurs to me that this has to be something to do with the fact that our web site is linking to both of these sites...this is the ONLY thing these two sites have in common. We are associated with both in only this regard. I am going to upload a screen shot of what I see when I connect to these folders, as well.

Thank you again for your guidance!

Tara33, Oct 20, 2008 IP
  6. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    since it appears to be a full site
    it MAY BE a phishing site hosted within your site
    I had such - but from another very popular site

never expect a host to KNOW nor to have time to research such
    indepth inspection may take hours or days
    in my case i was a total of approx 200-300 hrs busy until all SOLVED.
    the few $ you pay your host never is enough beyond a cafe for breakfast. such problems require LOTS of time and MORE experience than regular low paid employees have

hans, Oct 20, 2008 IP