1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MySQL Headache!

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by WillmingtonW, Jul 5, 2013.

Hi, I can't find a particularly good/relevant section for my problem but this section seemed the most likely. I also wouldn't normally ask for help but this problem is really driving me crazy! :(

Anyways I am trying to use WordPress locally, I simply want edit my pages in Dreamweaver CC before uploading to my site.

I am using XAMPP 1.8.2 as my local testing server. I have placed my Wordpress files in the relevant htaccess directory and have created an SQL database and user for the install. I have then followed the instructions on http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress to the letter. All works fine until I go to view the install.php file in the browser. I then get - Error establishing a database connection.

I've checked my username and password countless times and my SQL and Apache models are defiantly active/started.

Is anybody else having similar problems? Any help much appreciated. Thanks

WillmingtonW, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  2. wendallb

wendallb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Strange as I use Xampp with not problem at all. Did you change the standard out of the box user and password for SQL? If you did that might be a problem but I never tried changing them. I always use root and the user and no password as it comes when first installed..

wendallb, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  3. WillmingtonW

WillmingtonW Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have changed the passwords for security yeah but you've made me realize my error! I was using my 'user' username and password in my wp config file instead of the 'admin' username and password. I'm such an idiot sometimes! Thing my brain has just been fried with this today. Thanks anyway :)

4. WillmingtonW

WillmingtonW Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the thing is when you've been looking at something for so long and thinking of solutions you simply miss the obvious. That's how I seem to work anyways!

5. wendallb

wendallb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Glad you got it sorted out

wendallb, Jul 10, 2013 IP