1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

mysql error: Server shutdown in progress

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Fishing Forum, Feb 16, 2005.

mysql error: Server shutdown in progress

mysql error number: 1053

Got a problem with my VB board giving this error a few times to day

Any advice and what would cause this ??

Thank you for your time

Fishing Forum, Feb 16, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've only seen that when a shutdown was in progress. :) Either a reboot of the server, or restart of the mysqld process.

If you can see the MySQL Runtime Variables (easiest way is with phpmyadmin), you can see how long the database server has been running.

digitalpoint, Feb 16, 2005 IP
  3. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Cheers

Will have a look

Fishing Forum, Feb 16, 2005 IP
  4. hostechsupport

hostechsupport Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The MySQL error number: 1053 may arise if the MySQL service on your server stops during any other server-side process and corrupts the backup that you have created. Thus, the backup that you get will not be a complete backup of the database. Therefore, firstly you need to check the status of the MySQL service on your server and try to restart MySQL service.

hostechsupport, Jul 9, 2018 IP
  5. Cameron Fillers

Cameron Fillers Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried tuning your database? Are you running out of connections? if it happens a couple of times a day, and you have the disk space for it, I suggest enabling debug logging and see what happens around the time it hangs.

You may want to reduce the number of connections, and decrease the timeouts for threads.

You also said you are using VB Board. I recommend looking into a caching system like memcache to work alongside it, as they may help drastically reduce the amount of DB connections for an active board.

Cameron Fillers, Jul 27, 2018 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd want to look at the logs and see what other server errors are happening that might impact on the MySql processes.
    I'm guessing you've got your own server - it's not shared, right?
    My experience isn't from MySql but years ago we had problems with the database stalling and we found we had queries that were hanging and had to be killed manually. The System Admins weren't happy but we wrote some scripts to capture the process information and isolated when it worked and when it didn't and hey presto, fixed.

In your case once it's isolated you'll want to feed it back to VB so they can update the source code while you patch your copy. Patches shouldn't be your long term solution.

sarahk, Jul 28, 2018 IP