1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MySQL Collation utf8 differences

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by TheVisitors, May 24, 2014.

But I've been reading up on the importance of MySQL Collation and what I have learned so far regarding compatibility and accuracy is these 4 seem to be my best bet.
    • utf8_unicode_ci
    • utf8_unicode_520_ci
    • utf8mb4_unicode_ci
    • utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci
    From my understanding uft8mb4 would be good for character with mutli language (character) support (japanese for example). uf8 only supports 3 bytes while uf8mb4 supports 4 bytes. So it sounds like the obvious choice would be uf8mb4, but the catch seems to be that you have a length limit (Damn it! I want my cake and eat it too), which is a little concern (I think).

Then you take into account about the 520 standard; which offers more, from what little I could find on it. But that is of course the issue, I could find very little about it. Only that people say it's an improvement, yet being very vague on how that is.

I do want the most I can get with as few restrictions as possible... I figured someone here may know a thing or two.

Of the 4 which would offer the most compatibility, accuracy, and the most storage length? Also what truly is the big difference between the 502 standard?

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    TheVisitors, May 24, 2014 IP
  2. TheVisitors

TheVisitors Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I decided to use
    • utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci
    Being that the utf8mb4 added more character support and this one uses the newer 520 standard (unless anyone can think of a good reason not to do so).

Normally converting a database takes time because you need to do it table by table. This little bit of code makes that process a lot quicker.

<?php

$database_name='DATABASE-NAME-HERE';
    $database_username='USER-NAME-HERE';
    $database_password='PASSWORD-HERE';

$connection = mysql_connect('localhost',$database_username,$database_password);

if(!$connection) {
        echo "Cannot connect to the database – incorrect details";
    } else{
        mysql_select_db($database_name);
        $result=mysql_query('show tables');

while($tables = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

foreach ($tables as $key => $value) {
                mysql_query("ALTER TABLE ".$value." CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci");
            }
        }
    echo "Successfull collation change!";
    }
    ?>
    PHP:
    Change the values to fit your needs. (The above example changed everything to use uft8mb4. You should change that also to fit your needs)

Run this from the terminal.
    php  /path/to/your/FILE-Name.php
    PHP:
    Obviously changing the path and file name to match what you're using.

Finally you should run this command
    mysqlcheck -u root -p --auto-repair --optimize --all-databases
    PHP:

TheVisitors, May 25, 2014 IP