1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MySQL Closest location lat/long

Discussion in 'Databases' started by HorrorMovies, Apr 22, 2013.

In Short:
    I have a table called locations which stores a user_id, a route_id, created_at, lat and long. The table has around 400K rows and when I query the DB it takes about 10 minutes for it to return.

The Long:
    I am trying to get routes which are closest to a user, for this I have the users current lat and long. I am wanting to get routes that have the first location (so the start of the route) within 50 miles of the users current lat/long.

I think the problem is its picking up every location and not just the single location for the start of the route, how would I target the first location? Also, when I look at what the query is doing it gets stuck in the status of moving to a temp table.

SQL
    $latitude = current lat
    $longitude = current long
    $max_distance = 50 miles
    SELECT *,  SQRT(
                POW(69.1 * (lat - $latitude), 2) +
                POW(69.1 * ($longitude - `long`) * COS(lat / 57.3), 2)) AS distance
                FROM `routes` JOIN `locations` ON `routes`.`id` = `locations`.`route_id`
                GROUP BY route_id
                HAVING distance < $max_distance
                ORDER BY rating DESC LIMIT
    Code (markup):

HorrorMovies, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  2. HorrorMovies

HorrorMovies Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Never Mind I have found the solution I needed. using the MIN mysql operator on the created_at field.

HorrorMovies, Apr 22, 2013 IP