1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MySpace Now Has 2 and a Half Times The Traffic of Google

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Hon Daddy Dad, Feb 13, 2006.

1. narsticle

narsticle Peon

Best Answers:
    expect a letter from myspace legal since you are infringing on their copyrited name.

narsticle, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  2. SonicReducer

SonicReducer Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder how much that geek Tom got of the $580 million?

SonicReducer, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  3. fgs

fgs Peon

Best Answers:
    Whatever he got he probably wont be looking for a job at a local fast food restaurant to support himself anytime soon :)

fgs, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  4. MaxS

MaxS Peon

Best Answers:
    He's still working for them.

MaxS, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  5. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you ever receive such letter
    let me know
    because
    myspace infringes on MY copyright by hotlinking / stealing ten thousands of pics / months on their domain-space w/o my prior written consent and w/o paying any honest share to the creation of pics and maintenance of my server-space

first and above all - before sending out possible legal letters
    a host/domain owner has to assure HE is legal all the way in all hsi site-weide activities even within large communities

hans, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  6. kavinga

kavinga Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think most of MySpace users are teenagers. I saw some of ppls are selling profiles too.

kavinga, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  7. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that's true
    but the legal responsibilities to avoid copyright infringement may well be on host/site-owner level
    that's the tendency on european court-roulings and might well be enforced one day in more and more countries
    a host needs only minutes to verify hotlinking and inform its members of proper conduct about copyright
    als a host has the option of making it EASY to save pics on own space to prevent hotlinking

if a host cares nothing at all about copyright law
    then the very same host has a very weak legal point about other people using similar sitename as well
    first clean up own house before throwing stones into other people's glashouse

hans, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  8. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Damn.

I knew it was popular, but never Google level popular. I thought it was owned and maintained soley by that Tom guy? I'm guessing he got most of it, like 500mill or something? The news story didn't really report it, they normally love the 'Geek makes stupid amounts of money' stories.

Blitz, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  9. narsticle

narsticle Peon

Best Answers:
    Myspace's case would be extraordinarilly stronger then yours. you are using their NAME in your domain. Myspace is not hotlinking your images, its users are! Im sure every host in the world has websites that are hotlinking other peoples pictures. You would need to deal with each individual to get them to stop or report the individual to myspace as im sure they would correct the problem.

narsticle, Feb 17, 2006 IP
  10. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that only depends on where myspace is legally located
    in european countries the strict legal tendency is to hold the host/domain OWNER fully responsible for anything his users do.
    such clear court rulings have been made and more and more seems to be the tendency
    it makes sense
    for a host like msn/myspace/xanga it would be VERY easy to revent hotlinking in many different ways
    none of them has any honest interest to do so because they save fortunes in server resources and earn double fortunes in revenues made on stolen copyright material that build up their p0opularity and traffic

i dealt with msn directly and even if it took a few weeks longer than any other similar hotlinking host i ever had - finally they cleaned up their own webspace.

as i said
    in some countries your point might still be valid

but in general
    the US government never deals with individuals about priacy
    they deal with piracy countries on top level to solve the interest of microsft and other copyright holders being victim of piracy industry

the very same may as well bounce back on top level that hosts/site owners will have to clean up their mess or delete accounts of users and deal themselve with users as it is hosts space that serves knowingly for crimes onlargest scale and host is the one earning the millions of $ resulting of such high traffic sites.

i am quiet sure that none of all these community hosting sites would be even nearly half as popular if they would offer ample space for storage and enforce strict copyright law among all users.

in many countries is a law similar to "if you know about a crime and fail to prevent/stop it, then you become guilty yourself as well"
    it certainly may be considered legal duties of any webmaster of such communities to check the access_log for hotlinking and a simple
    grep "img src=" woult list all image sources and show how few link to hsot site for pics
    hosts knowing very well about ten thousand fold monthly copyright infringement may fall under same laws for gross negligence of their duties and be held liable in more and more countries such as done in EU countries repeatedly since many years - at least to some degree with success.

hans, Feb 17, 2006 IP
  11. narsticle

narsticle Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll take your word for it, i dont know foreign law....i was just tryin to warn you because i know a lot of sites that contained myspace in their name were threatened that if they dont shut down they would be sued. Just lookin out for a fellow DP user. Have a good weekend.

narsticle, Feb 17, 2006 IP
  12. chachacallis

chachacallis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i am going to get me a account there

chachacallis, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  13. blah_blah

blah_blah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very interesting debate. I have special interest in it since my domain name has myspace in it. Listening to both the views, I really wonder how many websites were closed down or forced to change the name because Myspace issued them C&D notices. Anybody knows for sure about it? Did they offer any legal fight against it or just surrendered because they were solely myspace dependent sites? Most of these sites are providing services to myspace members and probably don't want to hurt or taken on Myspace. My site is completely independent of myspace and it is a niche website as it's focusing only on south asians away from home. I don't intend to give up easily, if they approach me. But what are my chances?

blah_blah, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  14. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    I was checking out a site by TilaTequila she has had over 24 million profile views.

Hon Daddy Dad, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  15. freemyspacelayouts

freemyspacelayouts Peon

Best Answers:
    freemyspacelayouts, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  16. cpvr

cpvr Guest

Best Answers:
    Who is that?
    Its not hard to get a lot of traffic to your site by Myspace - just have a hot picture, a nice design on the profile, get people to whore you - and you're set.

cpvr, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  17. Sparta

Sparta Peon

Best Answers:
    Myspace's traffic is not 3 times that of Google. Google reaches 150mil people a day. Myspace maybe reaches 40.

Sparta, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  18. David26

David26 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The amazing thing is how fast it grew. I remember when it first came online, suddenly you would see thousands of people over the internet posting myspace links at once. It was the word of mouth that really made it grow, since suddenly everyone had an account there.

David26, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  19. iBold

iBold Peon

Best Answers:
    Tell that to the wonderful folks who used to run Napster...

iBold, Feb 22, 2006 IP