1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Myspace Marketing soon to be crushed...

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by advancedfuture, Mar 24, 2007.

Latest Message from Tom @ Myspace:
    I know a lot of you are seeing spam comments on your page. sorry about that! The super nasty ones block your other comments. They also may not be easy to delete. Here's how to get rid of them: from your home page, click "edit profile," then click "safe edit mode" in the top right corner of the edit page. next, click the "comments" tab. from here you'll be able to delete the comments individually.

just fyi, we are in the process of taking legal action against the losers behind this comment spam. bad news is that's going to take awhile because courts are slow, good news is we won some recent cases which is going to make it easy to punish the beejesus out of them. also, we're working on a filter that will stop it from happening altogether.. that should be done in a few days.

advancedfuture, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  2. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    It was bound to happen, it is going out of control.. atleast he's doing something.. or else it would have been the downfall of Myspace (ads.. and spam over that?)

8everything, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  3. bdude

bdude Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems likje they're mainly targeting big spammers

bdude, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  4. Marty Rogers

Marty Rogers Guest

Best Answers:
    I have an account on myspace and i have like 46,000 friends. Every single day i get about 50+ spam comments, it's highly annoying and silly - i hope this filter works that they're working on.

Marty Rogers, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  5. kokopoko

kokopoko Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just saw that too. I wonder if they're going after every one that ever left a spam comment, or the big players that leave thousands of comments a day.

Christine

kokopoko, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  6. LazyMom

LazyMom Banned

Best Answers:
    My guess is that they're going to go after the big players, possible those who use bots too?

Denise

LazyMom, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  7. Stealer

Stealer Peon

Best Answers:
    This is gonna be a bad blow to people who sell this kind of advert...I bet they are not liking this news at all..

Stealer, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  8. advancedfuture

advancedfuture Banned

Best Answers:
    yeah well it sucks for me having a myspace layouts/images/graphics website.

I get traffic by leaving comments on peoples myspace with a copy of a picture with a link.

I don't spam affiliate links like those stupid ones: "OMG CHECK THIS OUT I MADE 100$ MAKING SURVEYS" No... none of that stuff.

I'm hoping this wont affect me that bad. cuz I just got this site started. spent HOURS upon end coding it in php. :mad:

9. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think Tom will penalize people with those graphics + link to resource sites. It's must different than those comments spams that say stuff like "omg I got the victoria secret gift card < here >" etc.

10. advancedfuture

advancedfuture Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah heres to hoping!

Oh well if it does affect me I did learn one thing.

I taught myself ALOT of php/mySQL the past few weeks. I now have the resources to build fully dynamic sites now pretty fast. :D

I plan on cranking out a few!

11. odysseus

odysseus Peon

Best Answers:
    We mujst get rid of these spammers or else it only brings big trouble to us.

odysseus, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  12. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Atleast you're planning ahead.. if that does happen it might become better for your site since others are not prepared! :eek: who knows, we'll see!

13. macG

macG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One of the reason could be most of them have list of fake profile- no real people in the friend list.

macG, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  14. bunnybling

bunnybling Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the biggest phisher/spammers freevegasclubs.com is supported by a well known ad broker. I won't mention their name but you could go to the site to see.

If ad brokers took care not to associate with and enable this type of scum, the spammers and phishers would have a much harder time.

bunnybling, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  15. DoA

DoA Peon

Best Answers:
    this isn't necessarily bad news for everybody.

I get traffic by leaving comments on profiles (the profiles are all real and highly related to my profile / site because I did the research when gaining friends). The comment then tells them about a new tutorial / article I have posted, and that if they're interested they should check it out.

I DO NOT class this as spam, because it is highly relevant to them. I think myspace is trying to clamp down on the spammers who promote ipod giveaways / ringtones etc. on completely non-related blogs & those who post THOUSANDS of comments / day.

Think about it, any semi-famous myspace account (bands / djs etc.) would get banned if it was that strict!

I for one am not worried.

DoA

DoA, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  16. skillipedia

skillipedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The whole myspace web app should be rebuilt from scratch. It's rubbish when i look at it as a developer

skillipedia, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  17. Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful Banned

Best Answers:
    I never touch on Myspace at all. I dont even like using it. But thats just me ;)

Wonderful isnt it?

Mr Wonderful, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  18. tomred

tomred Peon

Best Answers:
    I cant log in today, looks like there doing something back there, I get the following message:

The function that you are currently trying to use is disabled and will be back shortly.

We are making some minor changes to this section, please bear with us until we can get this back online.

Please do NOT email me about this. Just wait it out. 3/25/2007

-Tom

tomred, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  19. dougadam

dougadam Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just turn the comments off

dougadam, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  20. mastanarek

mastanarek Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a myspace account and I get tons of spam on my bulletin or random people trying to be my friend. Try to stay away from those ppl who try to be your friend because most of them are just advertisers so dont accept them.

mastanarek, Mar 25, 2007 IP