1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Myspace marketing - is it working for you?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Zygoot, May 4, 2006.

The last couple of weeks I noticed an increase in topics about Myspace on several webmaster forums so I decided to create a Myspace account and I started building up my friends list.

Right now I have about 3,000 friends and I'm trying to promote several affiliate programs, without much success. I'm sending out several bulletins a day but since last week I've only earned about $20.

Is it possible to make a nice amount of money with Myspace? Or are the people that sell tools, accounts, ... and the ones that have Myspace resource sites (with or without YPN lol) the only ones that are making some serious money?

Zygoot, May 4, 2006 IP
  2. creditcardbusiness

creditcardbusiness Peon

Best Answers:
    hi Zygoot

I also registered with myspace today to find out if it helps. But how did you manage to make 3000 friends so soon.

creditcardbusiness, May 4, 2006 IP
  3. SonicReducer

SonicReducer Peon

Best Answers:
    I put some time into Myspace promotion. It was an absolute waste of time for me and I never want to go there again. That's just me though.

SonicReducer, May 4, 2006 IP
  4. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My girlfriend is in real estate and just put up her profile. Definately a great way to network if you're so inclined to. And yep, she's been getting traffic to her personal website too.

jeeplaw, May 4, 2006 IP
  5. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    I find it so hard to convert to buyers that now I am going to target a more "Professional" market. Ad revenue from Yahoo has been good but trying to sell stuff from any kind of Myspace traffic is not so hot. I've tried and without any sucess mainly because Myspace is nothing but kids / young adults in there early 20's.

SEO Jeff, May 4, 2006 IP
  6. jesterx

jesterx Peon

Best Answers:
    look like i said on the warrior forum over there. This is not target marketing . its more for like telling your friends family and relatives.

jesterx, May 4, 2006 IP
  7. Jelf

Jelf Banned

Best Answers:
    like said above bet it would work well with ads but not selling something.

joe

Jelf, May 4, 2006 IP
  8. highhobbiescom

highhobbiescom Peon

Best Answers:
    make a website of your own, not myspace

highhobbiescom, May 4, 2006 IP
    vanderberg likes this.
  9. vanderberg

vanderberg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

LOL!!!!:D :D :D :D

vanderberg, May 4, 2006 IP
  10. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    My space is fun to make stupid fake types of space...like my awesome new 70's Rock Band:

http://www.myspace.com/amgoldmusic

It is me, my friend John from NoMAD and the drummer from Fountains of Wayne. We rock out all the time. Well, not really but it is fun to do. My point is that I kinda have fun with silly sites that people like to pass around to eachother. Even seriously prospects are poking around myspace once and a while. This is an easy way to transparently "push" sales on to people. Although I don't think yiou can put adsense on myspace...can you?

tonyrocks, May 4, 2006 IP
  11. Zygoot

Zygoot Guest

Best Answers:
    I already have multiple sites and I also use AdWords and similar PPC engines to earn money.

Myspace is quite hot these days, so I'm trying to boost my earnings by focusing a bit on this social network. Tens of millions of teens and young adults use Myspace. It should be possible to capitalize on this market, I just haven't found a good way yet :rolleyes:

Zygoot, May 5, 2006 IP
  12. bubba76819

bubba76819 Guest

Best Answers:
    I personally have had good success marketing on MySpace for other people. If done properly you can market to a targeted audience and have targeted advertising.

Example: You're a band and you're playing in the zip code 92008 in a few weeks. Using some software I have, I extract user id's meeting the requirements of living in that zip code. You could also narrow the field by about 20 other demographic qualifiers depending on how targeted you want to be. Say 92008 between 21 and 40 or something like that. I get say 10,000 user ID's then send them send them an "add me" request from the bands user ID or any other ID I choose. Perhaps you get 1000 people to add you. Then you send them a thank you note with maybe a mention of your upcoming show, or your bands url in the picture...Then a week later, post a bulletin about the show. Then maybe one more time right before. It's worked pretty well.

Another idea: You're marketing a stop-smoking product. So I build you a list of 5000 smokers. You can even offer them a free "gift" or something, but you start slowly and then bulletin them eventually marketing your product. There's no reason you can't have 100,000 friends that are smokers either. My software can add literally an unlimited amount of friends per day if utilized properly.

Bubba
    These are just two ideas, but it may not work for you or what you're marketing. It looks like some have not had much luck, but they may be marketing to the masses, not a narrowed down targeted group.

bubba76819, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  13. dturnbull

dturnbull Guest

Best Answers:
    It works well for me, not as good as some others, but it'll definitely help for some future projects :)

dturnbull, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  14. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder how anyone can have 3000 "friends" in such a short time. I guess most of them are added by scripts. Noone will be interested in what you have to say in your bulletins, unless they are bored to death.
    I have signed up with Myspace a while ago to see what the hype was about, but I find it rather annoying.

andre75, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  15. ColaDesigns

ColaDesigns Peon

Best Answers:
    i've found myspace marketing to be successful with certain niches such as gaming websites, music website, and just things related to a basic myspace audience (teens and musicians).

ColaDesigns, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  16. cenkbut

cenkbut Peon

Best Answers:
    For dating sites, it works.

cenkbut, Jul 3, 2006 IP