1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MySpace Bulletin, what is it?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by FFMG, Sep 19, 2006.

I was looking around for a way to market my blog hosting site, (http://www.journalhome.com).
    Myspace seem to be an obvious option as their users would fit my kind of visitors/users.

I see that some users have had some limited success sending bulletins to MySpace friends. I am guessing that it is a message sent to all your ‘friends’?

How would you format such a bulletin? Any DP member you would suggest I send a bulletin with?

Thanks

FFMG

FFMG, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  2. Nonny

Nonny Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One thing you want to keep in mind with your ad copy is that Myspace users each have their own built-in blog. You would have to give compelling reasons for people to sign up for another site to blog.

Nonny, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  3. FFMG

FFMG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good point, but in my experience, some users love having more than one blog. So for the price, it might be woth it.
    And we offer Ad sharing as well so that might interest some of them.

But I am always open to suggestions, how would you market it?

The budget is not too much of a problem, but I really lack ideas.
    I want to run a serious campaign for about a month or two.

FFMG

FFMG, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  4. Nonny

Nonny Notable Member

Best Answers:
    FWIW here is my 2 cents:

Your target customer is probably not the stereotypical Myspacer - a teenager that spends all his/her time online on Myspace, and who isn't really interested in interacting or writing for the web at large. There are many people on Myspace who are interested in either writing in general or marketing, and who would probably be interested in ways to getting their name out to the world.

What seems to set your service apart from other blog sites (blogger, LiveJournal) is ad sharing, although I don't immediately see anything about that on your site. You also have webmaster resources, and your FAQ seems to emphasize "making a buzz".

Now you asked about buying bulletins. My feeling is that you need a targeted group of "friends" to sell to. Perhaps some of the people selling bulletins can do that. However, if you are talking about a long term campaign, it's probably worth setting up your own Myspace account and getting your own friends. Set up an attractive profile that links back to your blog site. Start out by adding people as friends who are are members of the marketing and writing forums. Add people who have marketing or writing listed under their interests. It's probably better to have 700 friends who are likely to have an interest, than market to 10,000 friends who aren't interested in leaving the confines of Myspace.

What then? You could send out bulletins linking to the "blog post of the day" or "blog posts of the week". Get people to come read the blogs hosted on your site. Give them tidbits about the advantages of blogging, then send them to your site for more information. Tell them how easy it is to set up. Remind them that they can write for the whole world, not just their "friends". Link to tools that let them mirror the posts from their Myspace blog on a blog you host (via RSS feed), so they don't feel like they are losing what they've already done. Tell them that when they join they will get hints and tips to get their writing or marketing out to the world. Put that together with the webmaster-oriented material and ad sharing, and you should get some interest.

Oh, and realize that people who have 1000s of friends are probably getting 100s of bulletins a day. It's unlikely that they read all of those, so be sure to think of a catchy headline!

Nonny, Sep 19, 2006 IP
    FFMG likes this.
  5. FFMG

FFMG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True, but I was hopping that some MySpacers would actually want to use to a different portal.
    A bit naïve maybe, but getting 100 bloggers from 10000 bulletin did seem like a fair return to me.

The adsense is up and running but I need to promote it. It only just came out of beta, (after about 2 months). I will promote it properly soon enough.

I need to create a proper tutorial section of some sort.
    Not just for Ad sharing but also for a few other stuff.

I might do that, but I need to look more into it. As you said Myspace might not be my target audience after all.

Makes sense. I was playing the numbers game really, 0.1% new bloggers from 10000 did not sound like such a bad return to me.

Quite a bit to think of thanks.
    I guess I will need to finish my promotion material first, (about ad-sharing for example).
    I will also create a tool to post new entries from MySpace to JournalHome.com and maybe vice versa, (but I would need to look for resources to do that).

Thanks for the post.

Where else would you advertise my blog hosting site?

FFMG

FFMG, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  6. Nonny

Nonny Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are welcome. I think there is a potential market at Myspace, but it just seems to me you would have to target a bit more than the usual bulletin to 10,000s to get a lot of sign ups.
    I would definitely do that. When people come to check out your site, you want everything to be spelled out for them. Also, let them know that all the "bling" they put on their Myspace profile they can have on their blog as well. What you want them to realize is that they have nothing to lose and everything to gain by signing up. Once the promotional material is there, it might be worth buying a "trial balloon" bulletin ad to see what kind of response you get with a relatively untargeted group of friends. I think you should be able to do that relatively cheaply.
    Maybe you could just make it easy for people to incorporate posts via RSS feeds - that would appeal to both Myspace users (and the blogs there do include a feed) and marketers
    Here at DP? :) The ad revenue sharing should definitely appeal to webmasters. I hope that others here at DP that have experience promoting a hosting site like yours chime in with advice.

Good luck!

Nonny, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  7. Connections

Connections Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for effective bulletins to certian demographics, you cant waste time messing around with 90% of bulletin sales people, their just kids who add people at random with bots or set up fake band accouts they have no markeitng knoledge at all their just trying to make some quick $$$,

Then aggain you have bulletin sales people like myself who do marketing for a living and people like me who only structure my accounts around certian demographics including age-location etc etc, all been online users and effective users which are not rubbish clone accounts and ones full of bands and people who just dont even read bulletins.

Connections, Sep 20, 2006 IP