1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Myspace as a marketing tool

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by maney, May 25, 2006.

I've seen quite a few posts about myspace being used as a marketing tool. Now I quite like the sound of this (I can just make it, get a few mates to add it and leave it alone to work its magic). How does it work? Do you make the page about you then just stick links to your site on or do you make the page about your website? Paste information added to your website into new blogs on it then redirect people to your site from the blogs? I think this would be pretty useful for me to start getting traffic to my website (currently on about 30-40 uniques a day, but its only been 2months and I've done no marketing really so I'm happy).

Dan

maney, May 25, 2006 IP
  2. JoT

JoT Peon

Best Answers:
    As far as I can see, it's just like other blogs: use their comment feature to stick your website into very popular pages, thus raising your PR.

JoT, May 25, 2006 IP
  3. L146705

L146705 Peon

Best Answers:
    does myspace pass pr?

L146705, May 25, 2006 IP
  4. JoT

JoT Peon

Best Answers:
    Why wouldn't it? The Myspace front page has a PR of 8, but when it finally trickles down to the user pages, it's generally much less. I'll have to check real quick.

Edit: The user pages have a PR of 7. I'd say it's a great marketing tool.

JoT, May 26, 2006 IP
  5. jwags

jwags Peon

Best Answers:
    Just be careful what you do. I've seen a recent rash of myspace accounts being deleted for marketing practices.

jwags, May 26, 2006 IP
  6. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    User pages aren't all a PR 7 first of all (one of mine's a 3, and the other's a 0). Second of all, no, you can't just set it up and sit back ... unless you're using bots to do everything which is complete and utter nonsense, because it's not marketing at all. You can't reach targeted prospects who actually care about what you're saying that way. I don't have a huge friends list on my webzine's profile page, but I market effectively to that highly targeted group who specifically ask to hear what I have to say, and I pull in a lot of clients that way. You'll make more money offering something useful to people who actually want it than to simply try to push a site on myspace for random links.

Jenn

jhmattern, May 26, 2006 IP
  7. chris_surfrider

chris_surfrider Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yep - Jenn's got the right idea.

Going "mass market" is pointless, as far as I'm concerned.

Go after a niche that's crazy about their hobby or whatever and build a friends list that way.

It makes way more sense.

-Chris

chris_surfrider, May 27, 2006 IP
  8. psyberweb

psyberweb Peon

Best Answers:
    Chis and Jenn are right. The marketing trend these days is to capture the right audience and that depends upon the demographic of your targetted visitors. You can't sell teen stuff to adults, it just dont work. If you got the niche, even a smaller number of people can outnumber the sales made by a big pond.

- Jerome

psyberweb, May 27, 2006 IP
  9. JoT

JoT Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.myspace.com/misshelga
    Here you are: the only MySpace that is pure marketing.

JoT, May 31, 2006 IP
  10. cobby

cobby Peon

Best Answers:
    I would be cautious how i marketed here. I wouldnt be spammy but i would venture out.

cobby, May 31, 2006 IP
  11. edr

edr Guest

Best Answers:
    So I have another thread on Sitepoint about this - using MySpace and the advice I got was to create a profile then search for groups related to my site information. I have done that. Then its says add the group members as friends - but how the heck do you do that!? One by one?! Then what!? Post bulletins to my profile that goes to those on my friend list? Or post in the group forums or bulletins in the groups? All of the above? This doesn't seem much different than signature linking in forum posting. Maybe I am missing something but what is so powerful about MySpace besides sheer audience size? The audience at Google is huge, too....

edr, May 31, 2006 IP
  12. Cutter

Cutter Peon

Best Answers:
    Try it out, asking these questions will only have people throwing their untested theories at you.

From my own experience I will say that you need to be offering something that really helps the users -- they should be adding you to their friends, not the other way around. On the other hand some people do large-scale bulk spamming for cams and adult dating. Does that work? No idea.

Cutter, May 31, 2006 IP
  13. pluto459

pluto459 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think any ways work very effective anymore. SInce the big media push most profiles are private or add only real friends. I do have bots now to search for keywords so that should help target the product being promoted.

pluto459, Sep 28, 2006 IP
  14. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:
    MySpace is so jammed with users just for the sake of users now...I haven't found it to be a great marketing tool, although it does have it's merits.

PalSys, Sep 28, 2006 IP