1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Myspace advertising and Adsense

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by raven2424, Mar 31, 2006.

I have recently seen a large increase in myspace sites and this whole myspace advertising by using accounts to post bullitens. Im wondering if this is a legit way to promote your site and how does google adsense look at this matter? I mean if you have 10k friends or pay someone to post about your site weither its about myspace, cars, computers you are sure to get some traffic and then maybe even some adsense clicks but my main question is how does google adsense fit in legit or not?

raven2424, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  2. Tim_Myth

Tim_Myth Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure I understand your question. If I rephrase it in more common terms "How does Google feel about spamming forums?" Does that sound about right? MySpace is just a big forum with a few extra features (at least that's the way my elderly eyes view it), so how would spamming MySpace be any different than spamming DP?

Tim_Myth, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  3. raven2424

raven2424 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what im trying to find out is if its ok to use myspace to post a bulletin and get traffic that way to your site.

I do see what your saying Tim do you think that doing such advertiseing on myspace is considerd spam and should not be done?

Then on the other hand i think its ok since everyone else is doing it but i dunno im looking to hear from some people here.

raven2424, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  4. Kaye

Kaye Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't think Google has legitimate reason to disable your advertising account from how you are getting the traffic to the site. It would be another story if you are asking others to go to your site and "click" on the ads.

I'm not familiar with Myspace. I suppose it is okay to announce your service on the bulletin board, but if you are just posting to random group, it may not be effective at all.

Kaye, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  5. guest

guest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dont know whether i understood your Question correctly but the way i understood is.,

I do not think google is bothered about the traffic that comes from myspace theme sites.

May be the traffic that comes to such sites [not all but those u saw/know that follow spamming/wrong methods to generate traffic] may be because of spam methods but the traffic from there goes legitimately to the advertised sites there after because "ultimately user is the one who visits such advertised sites as per his/her wish" unless there is any kind of forceable ads.

So on an average the google wont be bothered of these traffic - unless they are some kind of forceable or auto surf programme kinda methods

guest, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  6. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is a legitimate way of advertising. I used someone here at DP, parad0x and got a ton of hits from his bulletin, the fact that many of the visitors surfed off my page and used links that were located there leads me to believe these folks were just checking out a link that a fellow friend recommended. After all if you are on someones friends list and you think the links they are posting are crappy spam you could just opt out of the list. So I would not catogorize bulletins as spam.

jg123, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  7. parad0x

parad0x Active Member

Best Answers:
    If a user visits your site from a bulletin from myspace, s/he must be interested about the topic. Also if s/he clicks on your ads, s/he should be interested about the ad too. I don't see anything wrong in this. If you want you can try it from the link in my sig. If you write "Click on my ads please" in your bulletin or message, thats something else and its against google's rules.

parad0x, Apr 1, 2006 IP
    raven2424 likes this.
  8. raven2424

Best Answers:
    ahh yes that does make more sense thanks everyone.

Yes parad0x that does make sense i was worried that if i posted a bulletin that was not about a myspace related site it could be "sticky" but like you said if i made a post about like a pet website and said pet lovers that would like to learn more check out this site and blah blah those that do check it out and read are targeted and valued traffic i belive?

9. parad0x

parad0x Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it is and i'm totally sure about that. No problem at all.

parad0x, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  10. raven2424

Best Answers:
    ok thank you very much parad0x for your help on this matter!

11. DanNicol

DanNicol Guest

Best Answers:
    i dont believe that there is a problem - as long as you are not encouraging clicks.

DanNicol, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  12. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I promote my lingerie site on myspace ( http://www.myspace.com/hustlerpanties ). It's working out quite well and I'm already seeing decent traffic from it. But, there is a difference between promoting and spamming ;)

ViciousSummer, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  13. Roxyyo

Roxyyo Peon

Best Answers:
    Regardless of what Google thinks, if you are getting traffic from MySpace visitors, it's worth using that as a promotional channel if you get the right market.

Roxyyo, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  14. JackDog

JackDog Banned

Best Answers:
    Myspace has and will delete accounts they think are spamming.

JackDog, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  15. paycoguy

paycoguy Peon

Best Answers:
    FYI, the TOS states this:
    I'm not too sure to what extent they enfore this, however I know for a fact that they delete accounts for message spamming.

So, does this mean that google can disable your account if you're getting most of your traffic disobeying myspace's TOS?

paycoguy, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  16. Tim_Myth

Tim_Myth Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would Google be MySpace's police force? The TOS you quote is MySpace's TOS. Google is a seperate company.

Tim_Myth, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  17. photoads

photoads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I recently asked a myspace question on SP. I was questioning the amount of myspace sites bearly 2-3 months old being sold off, claiming to be making $$,$$$ per month. Why if these are goldmine sites are they being sold off so soon? Is it that they are cashing in on the sites whilst the market is hot?

They tended to have Yahoo adverts on that were advertising financial stuff like Veteran loans, credit checks, home loans, health insurance etc hardly targetted to the market audience. All the YPN adverts had profile pictures next to them making it look like links. I just wonder how long the advertisers will be prepared to pay Yahoo for such untargetted traffic?

photoads, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  18. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Junk traffic you mean....

*Sigh* this is the reason a lot of advertisers are wising up and not allowing their ads to be shown in the content network. It's also the reason the ones that are left advertising in the content network are paying crap per click.

I had a site get just under 100 clicks yesterday and made less than $5.

GeorgeB., Apr 2, 2006 IP
  19. photoads

photoads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes junk traffic - I mean at least Adsense is targetted to the page content - YPN seems to be pushing mainly financial stuff that these kids are not interested in, but are so click happy they bounce merrily onto each link looking for a hot new friend to add to their massive list of friends?

I may be seeing things wrong but if I were advertising and saw just how must budget was being spent I would not be happy!

Maybe we should be jumping on the bandwagon :confused:

photoads, Apr 2, 2006 IP
  20. paycoguy

paycoguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the main reason for those people selling newly created Myspace sites is because it's really easy for that $x,xxx per month go to $0. This can happen if myspace changes their code, sending mass cease and desist letters, and continuing to improve their spam filters.

paycoguy, Apr 2, 2006 IP