1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My website lost ranking on 12 September 2014

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by chriscoop, Mar 4, 2015.

My website lost most of his ranking on 12-13 September in 2014. One keyword is still ranking on position 5 for a 210 searches keyword. The website is a picture quote website with not a lot of text. Was there a Google update around that time? If there was what can be done to recover from it. The website has more then 550 unique picture quotes.

Any feedback would be great as I spend a lot of time and money in this website.

I appreciate if somebody has time to do an SEO audit to see what is wrong. PM me for the url.

chriscoop, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  2. blogdum

blogdum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you were hit by one the google update. Picture sites lose ranks easily due to low text content.
    Did you hired anybody to do seo?

blogdum, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  3. chriscoop

chriscoop Active Member

Best Answers:
    I did all the SEO myself. Did not do a lot of linkbuilding. People share the pictures on social media and did get some backlinks from there. But I think back links are not the problem here. Is there anyway to recover from this or can I give up on this website? I did paid somebody to build a custom wp theme and hired somebody to create custom picture quotes and upload them.

chriscoop, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  4. blogdum

blogdum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As per my knowledge most of the image sites receives 80% of traffic from social media sites. I don't know whats your goal but you can focus on improving social media along with seo.
    Keep a check on your competitors backlinks and add more text content wherever possible in your website/post.

blogdum, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  5. Lucky12B

Lucky12B Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Here's a good resource to look at when you site gets whacked! http://moz.com/google-algorithm-change

Lucky12B, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  6. Kushal Shah

Kushal Shah Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you received any message in the Google webmasters about your website being penalized?

Kushal Shah, Mar 5, 2015 IP
  7. chriscoop

chriscoop Active Member

Best Answers:
    No message's in Google webmaster tools. I think the problem is the low text content. But I am not sure how to solve that. Websites like brainyquote are doing very well but they are an authority website.

chriscoop, Mar 5, 2015 IP
  8. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend exploring popular SEO blog sites to keep you updated in the behavior of the search engine and determine the possible cause of the problem by analyzing the website's history of acitivity.

KylieSweet, Mar 5, 2015 IP