1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Website Has Been Hacked Repeatedly

Discussion in 'Security' started by JulieV, Jul 2, 2009.

Hi

My website has been hacked repeatedly and I don't really know what else to do. I keep on uploading and re-publishing it every time it get hacked. In fact just now they hacked it. I just fixed ti yesterday and now again! hacke dagain

Any ideas on how to protect my websites?

the site is www.mynoogee.com

thanks for any advice you can share with me.

JulieV

JulieV, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  2. wierdo

wierdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First consider that your code may have security holes in it. After checking this, check your logs for visits at the times that the files were edited for IPs.

Finally, consider that your host could have been hacked. It happened to me many a time. If it is indeed your host, you can only backup and restore. :(

wierdo, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  3. JulieV

JulieV Guest

Best Answers:
    My host is GoDaddy.com and i have already contacted them and they say it is on my end or I need to change my passwords which I did. I hope that this will fix it.

I am really concern about what you are saying as that my codes have security holes in it. Would it be possible to elaborate more on that?

Thanks
    JulieV

JulieV, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  4. wierdo

wierdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you use PHP or MySQL for your website? Do users have the option to log in or post anything?

And about the host, they always say that. They say that it's not their fault and that you're an incompetent webmaster who can't code worth a lick and to "contact a webmaster who is more knowledgeable than yourself". I was very tempted to change hosts when mine told that to me, but I decided not to.

With GoDaddy though, I doubt they would be hacked.

wierdo, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  5. wilhb81

wilhb81 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In this case, I think it must be something have to do with your website's security. Use the symantec security check to determine the problem...

http://security.symantec.com/

Beside that, you must create a very strong password, at least have 16 digits or more! Remember to mix the password with alphabets, digits and symbols simultaneously!

wilhb81, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  6. JulieV

JulieV Guest

Best Answers:
    I do not have any options to log in or post anything on that particular website. And I guess I am using MYSQL. And you right i am one of those webmasters who know ziltch! but I trying to learn as I go along and hopefully get a better understanding of the whole thing.

I have a Norton 360 for my computer security and I have already scan it and nothing in particular is suspected. Regarding my password, I can only put 14 characters as that is what my host suggested as lie 8 to 14 characters and I did mixed it up.

Thanks very much for your input guys... Wierdo and wilhb81

JulieV

JulieV, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  7. wierdo

wierdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wasn't suggesting at all that you know "ziltch", but I was saying that's what my hosting company told me when my site was hacked. That time, it turned out that it was the host that was vulnerable, not me.

Well it doesn't look like you use PHP or MySQL by looking at your site. Make sure you have a backup for the site, then wait and see if it's hacked again. I hope it was your password.

wierdo, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  8. JulieV

JulieV Guest

Best Answers:
    I know you are not suggesting that I know Zilth... don't worry my friend. I just felt that since I am fairly Noob, I knew very little especially about the technical side and hosting stuffs.

Thanks again for being supportive and sharing your advice and knowledge on this matter.

I really appreciate it.

Thanks again
    JulieV

JulieV, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  9. wierdo

wierdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No problem. And experience with being hacked... :rolleyes:

Good luck with your site, and I'll check in again in a day or two. Tell us if your password change helps.

wierdo, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  10. prigogin

prigogin Peon

Best Answers:
    may be your code have security holes

prigogin, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  11. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    You must find out the true reason before you can solve the problem .
    Are there any backdoor in your CMS/scripts ?
    Try to use complex password and also use anti-virus ware in your local PC .
    Some virus steal your password from your local computers .

justinlorder, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  12. merlinseo

merlinseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I will not log on to your website since its hacked
    So all in all what i wud do is first run anti virus on local system C:\ to remove any TROJANS

Because this trojans on your PC get passwords of your FTP and then harm the files on servers

So to stop being hacked first change FTP passwords from Control panel of your hosting

Now dont open FTP with your affected pc for time being

Run Anti virus on your local PC , Quarantine all the virus

And then use the FTP only

merlinseo, Jul 3, 2009 IP
  13. wierdo

wierdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I assume you guys didn't visit the site. The site is fairly basic. I don't think any programming is being used.

The users's computer is probably not infected. JulieV uses Norton 360 and I have never had an infection with a Norton product installed.

wierdo, Jul 3, 2009 IP
  14. rliddle

rliddle Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, check out hackersmart.com in my link. we can probably help. We have a Fix and Repair service.

rliddle, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  15. seoservicesworld

seoservicesworld Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should talk with your hosting company, they can give a good suggestion on this matter

seoservicesworld, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  16. kran0z

kran0z Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should switch from GoDaddy to a better hosting company.... one that will actually take your issue seriously and help you with it. That might be a good start :)

kran0z, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  17. JersyMike

JersyMike Peon

Best Answers:
    Check your stats logs...change your password to something very good. change your email password associated with the hosting account. Make sure you dont have any XSS/exploitable forms or url vars on your site

JersyMike, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  18. GMROCKS

GMROCKS Active Member

Best Answers:
    If your site is in static html, it's probably your computer or someone on their servers.

You may have a keylogger, Even with the best protection you can still do stupid things.

I suggest you install "KeyScrambler" Personal for free (download here: http://download.cnet.com/KeyScrambler-Personal/3000-2144_4-10571274.html?tag=mncol), which makes it so that key loggers just get gibberish when you type into your browser.

For me, Norton has not always been up-to-date. I suggest that you download another virus scanner for a second opinion (SpyBot S&D has always worked well for me) and do a scan from that.

Even if this finds something, I suggest that you get a better hosting provider. I used Godaddy hosting for 3 days once. Now I just get domains from them once in a while.

GMROCKS, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  19. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is also a good possibility that the email account you use has been compromised, and every time you set your password, they are able to get a copy of it. I would be checking with your host to see if they are able to track down any unauthorized activities through ftp, or, your control panel interface.

RHS-Chris, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  20. crumblepie

crumblepie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you own an image hosting site? That is how some hackers hacked my sites. I suggest you shut down that site if this is the case. Otherwise, an option is to create both a index.html AND an index.php file on your file manager so that they can't write over it. If this doesn't solve the hacking problem, it is very likely that someone knows your cpanel password and it is time to change it. I hope this helps!

crumblepie, Jul 6, 2009 IP