1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

my tips

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Shoemoney, May 4, 2005.

1. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    Shoemoney,

Thanks a lot for the time you took to write this and for the great advice. Lotsa good info in your thread.

James

Liminal, May 5, 2005 IP
  2. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I want to again state I am not a lawyer or an accountant so please verify what I say with yours =).

A corporation boilded down to its simplest terms is just a person doing business. It has its own ssn(ein) number, name and its own legal entitiy. For these reasons you can have 1 adsense account per entity.

Actually all that is happening is 1 company is aquiring the website from another company then establishing ITS OWN account. This is the correct procedure per google TOS.

Keep in mind its not "you" anymore when your forming corporations. They each have there own LEGAL entity.

In the google TOS it says google as accounts are non transferable. If a company or person aquires a website they must establish there own as account

Thanks!

Shoemoney, May 5, 2005 IP
  3. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you Shoemoney and everybody else,

I am feeling much less blonde now.

e10, May 5, 2005 IP
  4. Hijacker

Hijacker Peon

Best Answers:
    Hm okay, one more question: Are your sites/coprs selling something, related to their theme, or do you build up just pure informational websites, related to their topic?

Big thanks for sharing your knowledge! =)

Hijacker, May 5, 2005 IP
  5. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Very nice post, and thanks for sharing your sucesses with us. If I had to say it better myself I simply couldn't...congrats :) .

Talk to your bank about that :rolleyes:. It is the banks job to give you the run around. Come on...a cheque fro Google. The funny thing is this is a worldwide problem with banks.

I live in Canada where we only have 5 basic banks. Once I had choosen my bank I had to let them know that cheques from Microsoft, Google and other big US based companies MUST CLEAR IMMEDIATELY. Or you can close this account right now and I'm moven on :) Most banks around the world understand this universal language.

Homer, May 5, 2005 IP
  6. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    ...I wish I had that problem...

paymentapprovaltooslow, May 5, 2005 IP
  7. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Great post shoemoney, I'll have to talk to an accountant when I have that much money in my adsense account...for now...I'll just put 25% in savings to pay some taxes with :)

Although one day I would love to have the headache of multiple companies...that means you are making money :)

brandon

AfterHim.com, May 5, 2005 IP
  8. jlerner

jlerner Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey Shoemoney - thank you for the great read.

I'm struggling to make a dollar a day right now - you have given me great hope. Were you able to start hitting those big numbers while your site was still in the sandbox, or did you have to wait till you started getting googled?

jlerner, May 5, 2005 IP
  9. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the post Showmoney, it's nice to know you can make a living off of this.

Just a quick note, I personally plan to use LLCs instead of s-corps for this type of thing. They are also cheaper in some states (but not in california :( )The administrative overhead is lower and you get the same benefits (an entity seperate from yourself, liabilty protection, pass-through income). But again, check with lawyers/accountants before you set this type of thing up, they can tell you the best solution for your situation and where you live.

tlainevool, May 5, 2005 IP
  10. letsmakeamillion

letsmakeamillion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good post,

Just curious though, what types of sites do you create for the keywords you are targeting?

Do you create directory type sites, article sites? In other words what kind of content are you producing and where do you get it from?

This seems to be the thing that limits the speed with with which revenue can grow.

But of course there are so many possibilities in terms of the types of sites created that create the revenue...

Was just curious if you have a preference for each new site you create.

For example, lets say you decide to focus on the yarn site.

What kind of site would you make about yarn? I don't know a damn thing about yarn.

This is what I have a hard time with. I only have good knowledge on about 5 to 10 topics ... enough knowledge that I can write about them or produce content... but what kind of site would I create about yarn? hmmm

lmm

letsmakeamillion, May 6, 2005 IP
  11. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    I think a big part of it is not so much the site or the content, but a good popular term and the traffic to draw people to the site. I don't think you want much content, perhaps a paragraph or two to get them interested then leave them looking for more so they will be inclined to click on a relevant ad as they leave the site.
    Gettting the traffic for free would be the hard part.

I came across a site recently and the page looked like a directory with all kinds of different terms on it. There was no sign of Google anywhere but every link was a google adsense ad.
    I have no idea how they did it but it would make a lot of money, every visitor would click on one of the terms and as it was set up like a directory there were a variety of different terms.

Cyclops, May 6, 2005 IP
  12. pattygale

pattygale Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Shoemoney for the great post. You have no idea how much it helps someone like me who is just starting out. My business is an LLC and I think what you say about setting up multiple S-Corps over time makes total sense.

Right now I am in the process of building my first affiliate site. My existing business (totally unrelated to affiliate marketing) is almost at the $1 per day mark for Adsense.

Some days are better than others, some days, it's not even a penny. I feel like I'm on the Adsense roller-coaster ride , but giving up is definitely not an option.

I just need to figure out how to replicate that over numerous sites.

Thanks again.

pattygale, May 6, 2005 IP
  13. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    shoemoney

if you don't mind me asking: how many adsense money-making sites do you own? if you don't feel like sharing this info, that's ok too :)

best,
    james

Liminal, May 6, 2005 IP
  14. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    It’s ok.

Contrary to what people might believe I don’t make websites to make money. I make them because I am passionate about the industry or topic I am making them about. More then anything I like to plant a seed and watch a GIANT TREE GROW =)

Once they are popular I will take that passion and turn it into profit while still providing the services.

What I do every week is:

1) Register at least 10 new domains (and have ideas for each domain)
    2) Put up at least 1 new website. I call this part planting seeds.

Once a website gets over 1k uniq visitors a day I will put up subscriptions/donation/adsense/adbrite depending on what it is.

I usually don’t bother until they are at least 1k uniq a day. The reasons for that are:

a) If I have missed something in the TOS's for revenue this little pea site won’t kill me.

b) The site is in a testing period once the seed is planted. Sometimes there are left over "coming soon" or "under construction" pages (although rare). Again I am testing the market to see what kind of traffic this "vector" will get.

It’s hard to put a number on exactly how many pages/sites we have showing adsense.

Currently between several corporations we have over 800 domains and of those we have adsense running on probably close to 150.

Shoemoney, May 6, 2005 IP
  15. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Shoemoney...have you ever heard the term 'content generating engines'? If so waht are your thoughts. Do you use such tactics? Just curious :)

Homer, May 6, 2005 IP
  16. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    Btw... another important tip I just thought of is

Never take on a partner.

Often times I say "we" or "us" but it’s just me. My wife helps me brain storm and again I always say we or us when referring to my company but that’s just so I don’t feel like a loner =)

Partners just take money and they will never work as hard or be as passionate about things as you will be. If you need help hire contractors and w9 them.

I think its ok to do a part of Bonus Revenue Sharing but giving a percentage for life of something is just stupid (in my humble opinion).

My father built 2 different multimillion dollar corporations but they failed because he employed and made partner all his looser friends who betrayed him eventually. It’s very tempting for me to make a good friend partner in a site but I learned from my fathers mistakes.

If you want to ruin a great friendship make them a business partner.

Liminal likes this.
  17. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    Yea, when you are going into business you have to be very careful with who you choose to partner with. If you make a mistake, you could regrat it. Don't let greed take over.

paymentapprovaltooslow, May 6, 2005 IP
  18. khushal

khushal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well well well!! SHOE! i guess its time to say goodbye to Joel Comm:) He's had his Adsense reign for a while ....
    Arent you interested in writing a book on Adsense like he did...

khushal, May 6, 2005 IP
  19. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:

I have used content generators. To be honest I have never seen a successful site that didnt use some sort of content generation.

Random links, random news, rss feeds, etc etc all that is generated content.

Where content generation becomes evil is sites that are doing this.

Lets say this site is Acme car website and they want to make money off Car keywords. Lets say your keywords are "Gold Muffler" and "Hydrolic Jack". Totally made up by the way just poped into my head.

For instance you might see this as the content of there website-

$keyword = key words (let search engines suck this for key word density

$randommoney = $ random number between 1-20 (for froogle to cache)

"$keyword is important to the marketplace in reguards to cars. We here at Acme believe that $keyword currently $randommoney. Currently $keyword is considered the best"

I think you can get the point. This paragraph can go on forever. This content generation for testing markets (for traffic) I would say is questionable usage. For putting up adsense and making money I would say its just wrong. Some of it is white/black/shades of grey areas.

I have made alot of money in the "shades of grey" area. Its a great time to be in this industry because someday there will be defined white and black everywhere on the net and it will be very hard for us to make money. Course thats just my opinion

20. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    Heh I am a pretty horrid writer... My mother is an English teacher and has her masters in English. I always rebelled as a kid because education was so forced onto me.

If you notice all my posts are edited like 5 times cause I put them in a spell checker then reread and reread to make sure it doesn’t sound stupid (to me anyway).

I would not be anywhere without sites like this so if I click something for someone then I think it’s cool. This is just like my adsense blog... I just have never written it down before.

Besides my expertise is in Unix Security. If I was going to write a book it would be on unix/lnux webservers and how to keep them secure (from a os level). I stumbled (fell) onto adsense and making money on the internet when 1 of my websites took off. ohh i thought of nother tip.