1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My terrible experience with Sovrn/Lijit

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by Darth Vader, Nov 1, 2014.

I decided to give Sovrn a try, they apparently used to be called Lijit, but they don't seem that "legit" to me. I dropped them immediately, here's why:

Most of their ads were for sites that lead to malware and spyware. My browsers and antivirus software were both giving me warnings and blocking my own site when I tried to visit pages I was testing Sovrn Ads on. Some of the advertisers they were showing were for sites like "browser upgrades" and "flash updates" or "java updates" and they were trying to install something without consent. There were quite a few more too, so I immediately dropped them.

They did have some nice ads showing for Target, Progressive, Allstate, etc, but I cant deal with the spyware ads. Cant leave those up to infect my visitors PC's, as well as get autoblocked by certain antivirus programs.

Darth Vader, Nov 1, 2014 IP
  2. dungdenvn

dungdenvn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    really ? I am using it but never face that problem

dungdenvn, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  3. AaronZ101

AaronZ101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If they're iframe ads have you tried putting them within a sandbox?

AaronZ101, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  4. GavinP

GavinP Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are still so many ad networks out there that seem to think it's fine to spread malware, viruses and useless tool-bar add-on crap to people...

You've done the right thing binning them though.

GavinP, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you refreshed your pages that display their ads a few times? I didn't see the malware ads at first, but later on that day I did. Then when I refreshed the pages I kept seeing more, like multiple malware sites. It was def Sovrn/Lijit cuz it stopped once I removed their ads.

No I dropped them once I saw 5 different malware ads when I refreshed the page 5 times.

Yeah it is ridiculous. I was just trying to find a backup company to Adsense, but it seems like everyone else shows these malware/virus ads.

Darth Vader, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  6. GavinP

GavinP Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had an experience like that with Clicksor. I put the ad's on my website (this was within the first month of starting my website) and refreshed 2-3 times and straight away my anti-virus was going crazy! So I removed code and binned them.

Thing is, these dodgy networks get away it because enough website owners don't care about their visitors experience. I've said on here before that I would rather shut down my website and do something else than subject my visitors to Clicksors Malware and viruses...

As far as a back-up to AdSense I would say try the Yahoo/Bing network through http://www.media.net If you think Google is the biggest, then Yahoo/Bing is on the next step down.

Something else you could try is "Around the web" or "More from the web" content ad's. I work with http://www.contentclick.co.uk but I think they only work with UK publishers, but there are many other networks like this out there.

Good luck.

GavinP, Nov 4, 2014 IP
  7. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Peon

Best Answers:
    Great idea on Yahoo/Bing, I forgot about them. I will apply there.

I agree, I would shut my sites down if all there was to display were virus ads. Wouldn't have many repeat visitors anyway.

When I get emails from ad companies that look like they might be a decent backup, I write back and ask them to send links to a few websites that currently display their ads. Most of them don't reply when I ask that, or they ignore that request and ask for a "30 min phone call", I have no idea why I would need to spend 30 mins on the phone with these people.

Darth Vader, Nov 4, 2014 IP
  8. NeilPearson

NeilPearson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lijit was great for a while. I used them for a long time. When Sovern took over, it went to hell and turned into adware. I dumped them too

NeilPearson, Nov 5, 2014 IP
  9. dungdenvn

dungdenvn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ok so could anyone visit my website and tell me if it has pop-up or virus since i use their ad but never face that issue. I don't want my visitors to leave my site. If anyone can help it will be great and thanks a lot. I will pm the address if anyone want to help me out. I don't know maybe my country not receive many traffic from them

dungdenvn, Nov 5, 2014 IP
  10. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Peon

Best Answers:

Yeah I can, what's your website?

Darth Vader, Nov 6, 2014 IP
  11. bale

bale Active Member

Best Answers:
    Same bunch of lijit idiots behind sovrn. They denied one of my sites because of "spam site made to generate clicks". That is really offending considering the time and work being put into that site.

bale, Nov 8, 2014 IP
  12. rajin

rajin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i am usinh lijit for quite a long time and sovern took over just 2-3 months ago and i have seen decline in earnings compared to last year and now this issue has made me worried .

rajin, Nov 12, 2014 IP
  13. charice.preston

charice.preston Active Member

Best Answers:
    pulled their shit (ads with malwares) when they changed their name to sovrn (what the h**** is that name?)

charice.preston, Nov 13, 2014 IP
  14. GavinP

GavinP Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've had someone from Svorn email me this week wanting to speak with me on the phone (I signed up for a Lijit account years ago but never used it)

Anyway, I said I wasn't interested, but the guy persisted in emailing me and in the end I had to get quite abrupt with him, saying that I wasn't interested in working with him or speaking to him now or in the future.

I'm all for businesses being pro-active, but this was bordering on being a nuisance...

GavinP, Nov 14, 2014 IP
  15. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    I see they are making changes lately, my account manager changed and my fill rate dropped from 25% to 1%. And now it's about 6%. I'm earning pennies lately.

KarenBrown, Nov 14, 2014 IP
  16. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha, typical salesman. I usually never respond to any of those ad networks that email my sites. I get several of those emails per week, and then they send follow up emails when I don't reply. Sovrn emailed me about 10 times over a 2 week period, and I never replied to them once.

Darth Vader, Nov 14, 2014 IP
  17. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know why email publishers, if anything they need advertisers.

KarenBrown, Nov 15, 2014 IP
  18. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, besides the malware ads I didn't notice many ads even showing up for Sovrn in the few hours I was displaying their ads. Lucky they have backup tags.

Darth Vader, Nov 15, 2014 IP
    ufshane likes this.
  19. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, besides the malware ads I didn't notice many ads even showing up for Sovrn in the few hours I was displaying their ads. Lucky they have backup tags.

Darth Vader, Nov 15, 2014 IP
  20. sell-buy225

sell-buy225 Member

Best Answers:
    hello , thanks for all the nice info in this post , can you please tell me if www.media.net is easy to sign up on ? I mean if it has some high prerequest ? or is it like adsense ??

sell-buy225, Nov 15, 2014 IP