1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My sites have been down for more than a day: Sign of a bad hosting service?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Davey Crocket, Dec 20, 2005.

My sites have been down for more than a day...is this a normal occurance or something one should expect when dealing with hosting services? I know things happen, but this is the web and I'm loosing money.

They have not been working for over 24 hours.

Davey Crocket, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Any hosting company that has 24 hours + of downtime in the week leading up to Christmas should not be in the hosting business.

I would drop them in a second.

GuyFromChicago, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  3. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    agreed, downtime will happen but there is really no reason for it to be that extended.

ServerUnion, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  4. Spy

Spy Peon

Best Answers:
    I would find another host. My host is down now for like 5 days. And I dont think hes comming back. :(

Spy, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  5. Davey Crocket

Davey Crocket Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What hosting services do you all recommend? I need a WHM hosting account with unlimited domain names for under $24.00 a month.

6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yikes, when my sites go down for an hour I just go crazy... 24 hours would give me a heart attack

fryman, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  7. Davey Crocket

Best Answers:
    we'll I've been pacing back and forth in my room, you just can't see me :rolleyes:

8. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    You should definitely start shopping around. And do not let the price be the only determining factor. When times like this come around you wish you had paid a bit more and gotten a better service.

Good luck.

guru-seo, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  9. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Another thing be wary of any host offering you unlimited anything. If someone offers you anything as unlimited it is a matter of time before their resources run dry.

guru-seo, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  10. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had a host that used to go down every now and again for extended periods of time - at one point their mail service was down for a whole weekend and I lost all their mail. The solution is simple: vote with your wallet and change providers.

As for choosing a host, the best thing to do is ask around for recommendations, both of who to go for and who to avoid. I host all my sites on a server on my DSL line and run other services on a virtual machine elsewhere so I can't really recommend a shared host.

pwaring, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  11. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Just go with someone established so you don't have these problems.

mdvaldosta, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  12. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    It's worth checking the SLA of any service provider before you sign up to them.

IMO (and I speak as someone who runs web clusters for a living) unscheduled downtime is always unacceptable - but that's not to say it'll never happen. The mark of a good provider is one that quickly resolves the problem (within 30 minutes at an absolute maximum) and then lets you know why there was a problem and what steps they're putting in place to prevent it happening again.

Of course, the old adage 'you get what you pay for' very much applies here, and you're unlikely to get that level of service from a bargain basement provider.

forkqueue, Dec 22, 2005 IP
  13. dwk

dwk Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely agree with the previous posters...sometimes it's worth a bit of extra money per month to make sure that your site does not go down. Maybe look into some hosting companies that have some additional redundancy across multiple servers, so if there is a hardware problem it will not affect your site.

dwk, Dec 23, 2005 IP
  14. Davey Crocket

Best Answers:
    Thanks for eveyones input... I know you get what you pay for, I pay around $20 a month 2 GB storage, 20 GB bandwidth. I am checking out other good hosts with URCHIN statistics.

Its been 4 days now since my sites have been online I feel soo lonely :(

Davey Crocket, Dec 23, 2005 IP