1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My site was not as 'perfect' as I thought

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mopacfan, Feb 10, 2005.

Ok, time to eat a little crow... I spent the evening last night going through every page of my website. While I didn't get all the way through yet (I will) I found that several pages had poorly written meta tags and in some cases, no meta tag info at all. (This is a custom database driven cms application I wrote) I had ceated the 'pages' as long as four years ago and never went back to update or improve them. Silly me

So it seems that I deserve some of the negative movement in the rankings for some of my kw's. The content was just not as good a I remembered it was. So while I still think the coop had some effect due to the results that have been reported by others here, I am (hold onto your shorts for this one) also to blame for becoming to complacent over time since the rankings had been so good.

Ok, anybody got some hot sauce I can borrow for this crow?

mopacfan, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  2. DomainLoot

DomainLoot Guest

Best Answers:
    It's a lot of hardwork to do it right :)

DomainLoot, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  3. da22in

da22in Peon

Best Answers:
    I think SEO has much to do with the "little things". Untitled pages, missing or mis-configured <meta> tags, typos....it adds up. I still look through coded pages from months ago and inadvertently fire up Dreamweaver to fix/change something, then ftp it on it's merry way. Some things sound great at the time, but later on I'll ask myself, "wtf?".
    ;)

da22in, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  4. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that 90% of us are guilty of the same things, to one extent or another.

But, the point is well taken. In addition to creating content and developing links, basic page review should be routine.

For too many of us, it's not.

/*tom*/

longcall911, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  5. jarvi

jarvi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In the same group as you Mopacfan. Only yesterday I discovered an internal link issue I thought I had fixed on all my sites over 12 months ago. So obvious I can't believe I missed it.

A good lesson for all of us when we don't fell like doing other stuff. Just run through the pages and compare to a list of items such as title, description, internal linking, site map up to date etc.

jarvi, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  6. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    we all make mistakes especially since we all are doing it ourselves. also as time passes we learn stuff along the way that eventually makes us realize our past mistakes... :) i still have a lot to learn.

good luck :)

Juls, Feb 11, 2005 IP