1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My side to the story, a clarification.

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by Sven, Oct 25, 2004.

I'd like to clarify the situation.

I've being penalised here for something I haven't done.

Shawn has got it wrong, *I* haven't cheated anyone or anything. My accounts have been deleted because Shawn’s assumed they're from the same person, which is untrue.

Between the 'cheating' account and the legitimate account:

-The email addresses were different
    -The account holders name was different
    -The website URL was different

However the password was the same (which I've admitted) and the banners were of similar content.

My colleague Andrew created the 'cheat' account. He is now paranoid about losing his job.

Even if back in the network I've lost over 6 referrers (which I had to fight for!)

Punishment enough for doing nothing wrong?

From what I understand digitalpoint won’t accept money or let people buy into the ad network. I offered to clear all this up to donate $200 to a charity of Digital Points choice (I'll post a cheque to DP in the charities name). Shawn tells me the decision isn't up to him it’s up to the members.

So I've lost referrers (I'm assuming my account can't be restored), I've lost $200. Punishment enough, for something I haven't done?

In a attempt to prove my 'story' I offered to Shawn to check my keyword position account. The historical data is there and he'll clearly see all my legit domains but not the 'cheat' one.

Put yourself in my shoes.

Furthermore I feel outcast by this voting system. How do I know the votes are legit, you can't see whom has voted.

How do I know the gentlemen from seroundtable.com hasn't voted 12 times. Hey, I could easily have cheated the voting system it's not hard.

Shawn has admitted my 'story' is unlikely but possible. Who wants to take that chance with my life?

I swear I've done no wrong.

I'd like to appeal. How can I turn 27 votes around to 5? The 'vote' has been done when people don't have the facts and only have Shawn's side of the story....

So my question is: Based on the fact no-one can PROVE I've done wrong (but I also cannot PROVE otherwise) should I be banned?

Forget the poll feature. Speak your vote.

Sven, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    That comment seems to be in line with what your "partner" is good at.

As I stated in the other thread I voted to keep you out. I wasn't (and am not) trying to be secretive about my vote.

In my humble opinion, if you really do have a partner you should consider finding a new one. I wouldn't want to partner with someone who thinks cheating is acceptable.

GuyFromChicago, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  3. Sven

Sven Peon

Best Answers:
    He isn't my partner, he's a colleague. We're all on commission here. We both created similiar sites on similiar content, mine was legit his wasn't. And I certainly never said what he did was acceptable.

Sven, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would consider using a different password than him at the very least. :)

digitalpoint, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Should have signed up to the coop network with seperate accounts.

6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Can someone put up a post on what the hell this is about for readers that do not know, does this have to do with the SEroundtable deal?

anthonycea, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I understand the situation you are in.

I have a few different passwords that are used on a regular basis (That my colleagues use when working on things I have told them about and wish to control).

I also understand that being kicked out of this network could have serious implications to your income etc...

But from my point of view, how do I know that should you get back into the system, that you wont be sitting behind your moniter laughing at us *suckers* for believeing your story.

You have to admit, it does seem a little farfetched...

I don't know - you have a wife and kids, it's not fair to punish them because of what your idiotic partner (If it was him) has done...

I voted against you returning to the network in the previous thread, but at the time hadn't heard your side of the story.

At the end of the day, everyone makes mistakes.

Maybe you should be given another chance (But I think that the weight you are allocated should be dropped as a result of what your idiot friend did).

My $0.02

SEbasic, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  8. Sven

Sven Peon

Best Answers:
    THIS IS MY POINT. WE DID. My legit accounts have been deleted because Shawn assumed they were all accounts from the same person.
    Now do you see?

Sven, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  9. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Like Shawn said, use a different password.

When you sleep with the dogs you're bound to get fleas.

Here you go :D

10. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Fira,

In your second post after the post where Shawn said your acct had been discontinued you understood the problem or samilar words, you admitted you knew the problem.

If you knew problem existed and had immediately contacted Shawn you would not be in current hot water.

Shannon

---

Just check out Sven's aka Fira's posts. One topic includes |

Anyone got ANY tips on getting unbanned

Smyrl, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Is this Rusty Brick's (Barry's) website?

anthonycea, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  12. Sven

Sven Peon

Best Answers:
    Hindsight is a great thing.

Sven, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  13. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Classic Bullshit from cheats.

When you are caught you cry "wasn't me....really sir"

You knew what you were doing.

Foxy, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  14. Patient

Patient Raider

Best Answers:
    An important lesson has been delivered here for us all:

On the positive side:
    a) a loophole through which the network can be unfairly exploited has been found and closed.
    b) Shawn has demonstrated an ability to find such exploitation and the willingness to act quickly to deactivate such users.

On the negative side:
    a) it has been brought home to us that there are people out there willing to exploit even an interdependent community like this one.

For me it shows the need for all of us to be vigilant about other members of our network (after all we all see them every day on our own websites!).

On this occassion it was * only * unfair exploitation. On the next occassion maybe another immoral user will try something that could jeapordise the integrity of the network.

Patient, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  15. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm still on the fence. I did not vote because I don't think it's black or white. I'm not against you getting back in if your weight is reduced significantly for several months to compensate for the 'air time' you got because of your so called colleague's actions. I don't think you should be allowed back in with out some sort of sanctions.

mopacfan, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  16. Patient

Patient Raider

Best Answers:
    As we cannot prove this guy is responsible and he has been outed perhaps we should give him a second chance.

The point has been forcefully made and this particular member is unlikely to try any funny business in the future.

Patient, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  17. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't know who Andrew is, but all the accounts were registered to a "Steve Love". All the passwords were the same (as you mentioned) and the email addresses were similar enough that they look like they are from the same person. For example, and were the email addresses used. Are those "Andrew's" email addresses?

Not only that, but there is a member already registered to the forum (Sven) which uses one of those emails. Which makes me think that maybe you and Sven are the same person, but when this happened you registered a new account.

To me, it doesn't look really believable that Andrew uses the same password from the same IP address and uses an email address of "s.love" when your email is so similar.

digitalpoint, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  18. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    This is the same scenario as the ADA case when the same guy signed in as another person to offer proof of being a reputable company!

Foxy, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  19. Sven

Sven Peon

Best Answers:
    How am I supposed to prove otherwise? I've offered for Shawn to see in my "keyword position" tool to see that the cheat domain isn't there. ALL the others are - hence it's nothing to do with me...

Come and meet me, I'm in Nottingham UK, you'll see I'm a genuine guy - nothing to hide here.

Sven, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  20. Patient

Patient Raider

Best Answers:
    Please consider my previous comments withdrawn.

Patient, Oct 25, 2004 IP