1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Proxy Secrets

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by immortality, Mar 24, 2007.

1. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I will check them, thanks. They dont offer much ram though, but maybe enough ?

login, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  2. Sejje

Sejje Banned

Best Answers:
    I will try some of these out. Read the whole thing great information keep it comming. ;)

Sejje, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  3. alext

alext Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is one of the basic differences between a dedicated server and a VPS. Most VPS plans have RAM specs like this, but there is a further catch that separates one vps from another.

What is typically advertised by VPS providers might be "guaranteed RAM" or "burstable RAM". Most quality providers will specify both numbers. Guaranteed RAM is what your VPS get to use all the time no matter what. Burstable is what you can potentially have for short periods of time if it is available. The tuning of this also makes a big difference i.e. how long you get to use the burstable amount.

And just for reference I have a ServInt VPS. It advertises 256 MB guaranteed RAM / 1 GB Burst RAM. Running about 10 websites (not proxy and not all that busy) WHM/cPanel, pretty minimal other services and typically it is using 60-70% of the 256MB ram.

I think the FDC VPS account with "512MB RAM" would run a few busy proxies (speculating) and have plenty tons of bandwidth. If your sites get big you will probably see the performance of your sites go down pretty fast though. Also the "shared" unmetered bandwidth" deal is a little funky. Just read the fine print at the bottom of the FAQ.

"Q: What kind of transfer speeds and how much data transfer can I expect on the 100Mbit shared bandwidth plan ?
    A: You can expect 15-30Mbit/s transfer speeds and 5TB-9TB monthly data transfer."

If that all sounds ok, then FDC seems like an ideal starting place. FDC's reviews seem pretty promising as well. If I wanted to open a set of proxies, I would choose FDC.

alext, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  4. immortality

immortality Peon

Best Answers:
    Im sure this would be a good starting place for a few not so busy proxy sites. I had a proxy that was getting 8k UVs per day and 200-300k PVs per day on a VPS with 512MB of RAM and 768MB burst and it was using 80% of the 768 for over a week. I guess it all depends on what you call "busy". To me 4k UVs per day is busy, to someone else 400 UVs per day is busy. Just my input.

immortality, Apr 9, 2007 IP
    alext likes this.
  5. alext

alext Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that info. I know a bit about hosting, but I really do not know too much about proxies, so your real world data is quite informative.

.8 * 768 = 615MB. So I wonder who's VPS you were using? I didn't notice in the thread you mention a specific hosting service. It seems to me a week is a pretty generous "burst" heh.

alext, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  6. Morrisey

Morrisey Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the inputs. This is very helpful as I'm interested in building my own proxy site.

Morrisey, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  7. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Peon

Best Answers:
    Reason why I dont make proxies anymore. They are fun at first but they are only good for a very short period of time until their blocked. I had a network of 5 proxies and didn't make a beneficial amount of profit for me to consider go back. Advice to all you people out there that want to make proxies, make alot or else this game will not be worth your time. Just my 2 cents.

Quicksilver, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  8. immortality

immortality Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats why if youre listed on the first few pages of google you will always get constant new traffic to keep the proxy going. More isnt always better. It is easier to run one proxy than 30. If you want to take the time to SEO 30 proxies im sure you could earn a lot.

immortality, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  9. Raithe

Raithe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bandwidth is the problem. SEO is the easy part. I am already ranked #7 on first page of google within a week of my proxy launching. (Was #10 on first page in first 24 hours). I already got 6000 uniques today and my box has already used 116GB.. ouch. Made a nice $42 though :)

Raithe, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  10. killafawk

killafawk Active Member

Best Answers:
    hey i actually found my site in the "myspace proxy" keyword, on the 21st page, now how would i go about raising it?

killafawk, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  11. immortality

immortality Peon

Best Answers:
    On page SEO and get some link exchanges with sites that have no more than 20 links on the page.

12. immortality

immortality Peon

Best Answers:
    Im sure you meant 116 MB... that is very good for 6k UVs. The proxy ive been talking about with 8K UVs per day was using 10+ GB of BW per day.

13. Fidel_Castro

Fidel_Castro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks, really helpful article ....

Fidel_Castro, Apr 20, 2007 IP
  14. Brennan

Brennan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Great Information, BTW where do you get your $30 VPS's from?

Brennan, Apr 20, 2007 IP
  15. PhotoAdsense

PhotoAdsense Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm beggining to lean into making myself a proxy site.

PhotoAdsense, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  16. omidse

omidse Peon

Best Answers:
    yah

thanks buddy

omidse, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  17. gootecks

gootecks Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe someone can offer some good advice. I had the $49 ServInt VPS plan last month and earnings were WAY up for my 2 proxies at the end of last month. I was making $30-40 per day. However, they felt slow during peak hours (lunchtime) so I decided to upgrade since I thought I was making good money.

Come April, I upgraded to their VPS Solo Plus package with a 3ghz P4 and 2gb guaranteed ram, thinking that this would be plenty. Unfortunately, earnings dropped way down and now I'm only making about $13-18 per day now with four proxies. To make matters worse, the proxies were slow at lunchtime again on Friday! I am using PHProxy and I opened a support ticket with ServInt.

Basically the guy told me that it looks like I was maxing out the CPU but he applied a few tweaks. :( Now I'm not sure what to do because I feel like $219 per month + $99 setup fee was a lot to only support 4 proxies.

According to webalizer, here were my page views for Friday for my four proxies:

I guess my real question is:

Is 1,388,811 page views too much for the package I have? And should I be making more from Adsense with those numbers?

gootecks, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  18. SteveAR

SteveAR Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    can you give us a number on uniques. hard to go from pageviews

and 4 proxies should be able to be fine on that server unless some major hot linking is being used thru your proxies.

where does your traffic come from?

your earnings have dropped because google has decided to pick on proxy webmasters this month due to a major player being hit with a click bot.(proxy.org)

also since this happened adsense has determined to lower payments for clicks coming from iran and other middle eastern sites since they have a really low conversion rate.

i can help you more if i had more info. visit my forum if you need one on one help. cya

SteveAR, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  19. gootecks

gootecks Peon

Best Answers:
    5,142 total visits on webalizer which I believe are the uniques. That doesn't seem like much at all. Most of the traffic, I believe comes from Yahoo Answers and a little from MySpace. Only one of my sites is part of any top sites. I believe I turned off hotlinking on all of them.

gootecks, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  20. SteveAR

SteveAR Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    5k a day? a week? total for 4? what?

SteveAR, Apr 22, 2007 IP