1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Proxy Secrets

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by immortality, Mar 24, 2007.

In the past few months I’ve ran more than twenty proxy sites. Each proxy made at least $10 a day and a few of them were making around $100 per day using AdSense. I have recently decided to quit proxies and move on to real websites. I always get people asking me how I do so well with proxies and usually ignore them, until now. In this little article I will tell you everything I do to make my proxies successful. I will be touching on the following points:

• Server
    • Traffic
    • Optimization
    • Making Money
    • Ad Placement

Server

Servers are the most vital part of running a proxy. If your host can’t handle your proxy and it goes down during the day you will lose 90% of your visitors for good. If they can’t use your proxy they will find and use one of the other 30 million out there.

What kind of server should I get? If you are serious about running a proxy you should get a VPS or a dedicated server. Be aware that not all hosting companies allow you to host proxies so ask before you buy because you don’t want your account to get suspended. If you wanted to get a decent VPS it would run you around $30 per month, dedicated servers would run you about $150 a month. I would suggest you start with a VPS and as your proxy grows move to a dedicated server. If you want to run a big network of proxies I would go with a dedicated server right away.

What if I can’t afford VPS or dedicated hosting? Not everyone has $30 or $150 laying around to spend on hosting. After all, proxies are usually the first sites people make because they are so easy to make money with. If you want to run a proxy on a low budget I suggest you try out Embed Proxy (http://embedproxy.com). Embed Proxy allows you to run a proxy site on shared hosting which could cost you only $2 per month. Embed Proxy gives you a code to put on your site which you can integrate and make it look just like any other proxy site. You will use hardly any bandwidth at all as the users that proxify sites will be using Embed Proxy’s server. Visit the site for more information. NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with Embed Proxy

Traffic

Many people think that submitting your proxy to topsites is the best way to get traffic. THIS IS WRONG. The traffic from topsites is of very low quality and usually comes from countries that give you very low priced clicks. You can use these idiots, as I like to call them, to your advantage. The best traffic for proxies is from search engines. I know you may be thinking that getting your site on Google or any other search engine is hard. Since most people are worrying about getting their proxy on 100 topsites they totally skip over search engines. Search engine traffic is the best you will get on proxies; it will be mostly from the United States which will give you higher earnings.

Optimization

Getting your proxy listed on Google is easier than you think. Start off by using basic on-page SEO tactics. Pick a keyword you want to rank for and stick with it. Put the keyword as the title of your site, put it in H1 tags somewhere on your site, and use it on every link you get. Make a special section for link exchanges and find sites that relate to teens. Ideal sites would be other proxies, MySpace sites, arcade sites, or other sites similar to these. Make sure the sites you do exchanges with don’t have more than 10-15 links, try to get homepage links only. The most important thing is to use the same anchor text for every link. You should be listed on the second or third page of Google in a week or two. When you reach the second page of Google don’t try to get to the first page. It is a waste of your time, a lot of people who are looking for proxies just skip to the second page because they know the first page is most likely already blocked.

Making Money

The most common way to make money with proxies is using Google’s AdSense. You can use AdSense on the first page of your proxy but NOT on the proxified page. To make use of the proxified page you could sell links on the bar. Don’t sell too many, four should be enough. You could also use a popup program such as Adversal but I highly discourage this, it may drive the users away when they get a popup every three seconds. You could also try Adbrite to make money but I never had success with them.

Ad Placement

The typical placement of ads is two boxes above the URL bar and a 728x90 banner ad underneath. I’ve tried this and around five other variations. The best I found was a 468x60 banner above the URL bar and a box between the proxy options and the go button. I have also tried this setup without the banner above the URL box and my clicks went down by no more than 5 out of 200 so if you want user satisfaction take the 468x60 banner ad away.

Thanks for reading, hope this helped you. I couldnt think of anything else, if you would like me to write about something just let me know.

immortality, Mar 24, 2007 IP
    Glen, Proxyhub, tkilgore and 16 others like this.
  2. delusion

delusion Guest

Best Answers:
    Nice writeup! Nice in-depth information to help anyone wanting to start off in the proxy business! Greens coming your way for sure :)

delusion, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  3. Marlexca

Marlexca Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm making a lot of proxy's. Thx for your secrets, I'll take care of any...

Marlexca, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  4. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    when proxies are getting you money then why are you leaving them ??
    Thnx & Good Luck ;) :)

mixke, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  5. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks this is a Brilliant article..

Red_Virus, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  6. Glen

Glen Peon

Best Answers:
    Great post, rep added

Glen, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  7. Dempsey

Dempsey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Useful post thanks, notice you say not to put adverts on the proxified pages, is this not allowed in the Google TOS then?

Dempsey, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  8. immortality

immortality Peon

Best Answers:
    That is correct, Google does not allow their ads on proxified pages.

immortality, Mar 25, 2007 IP
    loopline likes this.
  9. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yup..dont put them there for sure..thanks for all the tips!

templates, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  10. gootecks

gootecks Peon

Best Answers:
    great article, thanks so much for sharing! i was wondering if you can explain when you should go about making new proxies after your first one is successful? do you think that just continuing to promote your existing one and maybe just point more domains to it is more beneficial?

gootecks, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  11. pulikuttann

pulikuttann Banned

Best Answers:
    Why u are getting away from proxy sites ???
    Even when it earns u more.

pulikuttann, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  12. SteveAR

SteveAR Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    good write up for beginners. with that people will have good money coming in. somethings missing tho but hey cant give away the farm altogether. good thread and im sure people will use it.

SteveAR, Mar 25, 2007 IP
    loopline likes this.
  13. immortality

immortality Peon

Best Answers:
    Whats missing? Ill spill everything I know, I just cant think of it all.

immortality, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  14. SteveAR

SteveAR Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wont be doing that since im in the proxy and pushing hard. too bad to ee you leave from it but i guess thats more money for the rest of us lol so good luck with your real sites.

you know you could do both right? i do

SteveAR, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  15. conmavn

conmavn Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for article,

conmavn, Mar 26, 2007 IP
  16. NewTier

NewTier Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, sorry to hear that you quit this competitive environment. :)
    I wished you didn't review so much! The secrets you revealed are too vital! :p

Well I guess that may be one less competitor.

Please don't tell anymore. :) haha. just joking around.. SteveAR and I agree on this one.

NewTier, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  17. dxplus

dxplus Guest

Best Answers:
    thank you for sharing, it's really helpful. reps added.

in ad placement section,
    i have a little question, how do you put the go button?

is it below the url bar or in the right of url bar?

dxplus, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  18. rajuthan

rajuthan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks very useful information

rajuthan, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  19. advoor

advoor Peon

Best Answers:
    Guessing a proxy site is next on my list to make ;) Thanks for the information!

advoor, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  20. immortality

immortality Peon

Best Answers:
    I put the go button under the ad which is under the URL bar.

immortality, Mar 29, 2007 IP