1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My PageRank and backlinks tool - with possibility of newer PR

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by Kadence, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Kadence

Kadence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK, I believe I have figured out the XML page.

Earlier I was simply giving the first "Rank:" value as the result. But now I see that the XML page gives out "<RK>...</RK>" for a series of what appear to be related URLs. So earlier, you may have been seeing the PageRank of a related page, rather than the actual page.

What I'm now doing, is parsing the XML and taking the <RK> value for where the <U> tag matches the URL.

The problem here is that sometimes the actual URL of the query itself is not present. I'm not sure what portion of the time this happens. When it does, "Unnkown" is the output.

Kadence, Mar 18, 2005 IP
  2. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahh. That XML info feature is really interesting :) Nice tool.

davedx, Mar 19, 2005 IP
  3. celt

celt Peon

Best Answers:
    I get some funny differences in result, depending on whether or not I use the http:// prefix. Yahoo reports 21,300 backlinks without and 172,000 ( :eek: ) with the prefix :confused:

celt, Mar 19, 2005 IP
  4. Kadence

Kadence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seems like there's a bug in my code. You can PM me the URL so I can check it out, if you want.

The Yahoo link: command requires an http:// prefix, so I must have a bug in the code where I'm trying to see if the URL has the prefix and if it does not, prepending it.

Kadence, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  5. celt

celt Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, thank you very much, I just lost 150,000 backlinks ;)

I take it you have changed the code, because the difference is gone. With or without http:// now reports the same results. My url is www.montesdemalaga.com, by the way, if you want to check for yourself.

celt, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  6. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    I'm seeing some really interesting results with this tool. In addition to many of my own sites, I manage approximately 30 websites. I've been using the coop to experiment on my own sites (first).

I have one site showing an increase from PR3 to a PR7. Another from PR0 to PR5, another from PR4 to PR5 and some that are staying the same, or even dropping one PR. Why interesting? Because I see positive changes in the sites that I'm clearly working on to increase links and PR. All positive (except a few "unknowns"). The sites where I have not done any link promotion, are either exactly where they have been (for the last year or so I've monitored), or in a few cases, dropped by one PR. The backlink increases due to the coop are night and day. It's overwhelming to see such high link counts and know I wasted using the coop as a resource for so long!

It's really interesting to see a trend of increase on sites I'm clearly working to get better rankings, and a virtual stand still on those that have not been worked on.

I'm still having a hard time grasping the numbers in the link for "unknown" and what I'm supposed to be doing with those numbers to make an educated guess. Maybe someone could explain this in more detail?

I'm skeptically positive :)

GTech, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  7. celt

celt Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a hard time grasping your point about coop. Are you saying that it is or is not working for you?

celt, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  8. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    He is saying it is working really well for him.

Cyclops, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  9. celt

celt Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the enlightenment, Cyclops. :)

celt, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  10. turulillo

turulillo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi guys,

I've been watching your thread and it's funny as the same ideas are developed at the same time by different people.
    In France, we have this tool : hxxp://www.yagoort.org
    It's using Google XML but it does it on different DCs, with different parameters such as hl (language) and soon we will have the IP and class C IP of the backlinks.
    About RK parameter, we think it's an updated value of the PageRank. Before the last toolbar, when the PR was updated, the RK parameter had the same vlue than the PR, now that Google updates the toolbar PR whenever he wants, we think that we have here the updated PR...We'll be sure at the next toolbar PR update.
    There's this document in english but we're not sure of what it says exactly...RK=PR or not ?
    Maybe you could check.
    hxxp://www.elastic.org/~fche/mirrors/old-usenet/Google%20results-protocols.htm
    Our tool will be traduced in english untill the end of the week, we have it allready in spanish.
    If you have any question, I didn't develop it myself but I can answer.

turulillo, Mar 30, 2005 IP
  11. Umbertide

Umbertide Peon

Best Answers:
    thats a great tool! and should be able to let me waste yet more hours on trying to second guess big G and what they are doing next...

Umbertide, Mar 30, 2005 IP
  12. turulillo

turulillo Peon

Best Answers:
    What's funny with Google Xml it's the fact that every keyword, and not just website, wich means every "q" parameter, has its own checksum.
    Check the URL of the querry (our tool URL or by right clicking in the middle of the XML document to get the real URL) and you'll see it.

turulillo, Mar 30, 2005 IP
  13. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Excelent work. The numbers I am seeing reflect what I believe my true pagerank should be based on the links I have. The numbers I am getting from the other pagerank utilities for my yet to be ranked pages do not instill confidence.

I think it is hilarious that you can get pr3 from a single link from pr4 opera blog. I spend years getting links to my genealogy page to get pr3, same as I can get from a single link off a freebie blog..

ziandra, Mar 30, 2005 IP
  14. mkeen

mkeen Peon

Best Answers:
    This tool is brilliant, if these are the real values then I see my hard work has been paying off.

REP +1 4U :p

One thing though, how come nobody noticed this before? Is this a new feature?

mkeen, Mar 30, 2005 IP