1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Million Dollar Startup

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Shay.Armstrong, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello,

Allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Shay Armstrong. I have more then 10 years experience with software development and project management. In recent years, my focus has been entirely on internet technologies. On February 24th I will be 32 years old of age.

For close to 18 months I’ve been working on a prototype of a product that I believe will be sought after by the internet community. The development had reached the point where I was ready to start looking for venture capitalists to invest in my idea.

Then I saw how successful Alex Tew was with his “Million dollar homepage” and all the media coverage about the auction for the last 1000 pixels. I thought that if I could come up with a way to enhance that idea so that both parties can benefit from the popularity, I could raise the money I needed to start my business and give my customers good, inexpensive advertising.

The Idea
    Setup a website where people can buy pixels to advertise their business. So far, there is nothing new here. However, in order to add additional excitement and value to buying my pixels, I came up with an idea… Have a contest. All of the people who buy pixels will be eligible to win the right to use the mega banner at the top of the home page. Pixel owners will automatically be entered into a lottery. The lucky winner will have the right to use the top banner on the home page to advertise his business. You can’t buy the banner, you MUST WIN IT.

After all the pixels are sold, row and column number will be drawn at random. Whoever owns the pixel at the winning location will win the right to use the top banner on the homepage to advertise their business. Given the fact that this website will be popular, this banner will be seen by millions of people making it a valuable piece of internet real estate.

Skeptical…think it’s a lot of hype?
    Think about these facts:
    1. After the big advertising earthquake that Alex Tew caused, there is a lot of interest in pixel advertising.
    2. This is the first time that a startup company is trying to raise money using a method like this. Lots of businesses will be watching to see if it is successful.
    3. I intend to send out press releases to all local and national media sources and invite them to cover the contest. Unless there is some major disaster, the contest and therefore the winning ad will most likely get a large amount of media exposure. By investing a small amount of your advertising budget in buying pixels, not only will you receive a lot of traffic to your website from your ad, but also if you are the winner your company will be mentioned in all the media channels.

Do you think I’m crazy?
    Maybe I am, but it’s up to you to decide if you want your business to be listed on one of the hottest places on the internet.

I sincerely hope you will decide to join us… because not only will you will helping me raise the money for my new business venture, but you will also get good advertising and the chance to win the “mega banner” for even better advertising. That is why I like to call this valuable prize a “mega banner”.

Please take a moment to visit “My Million Dollar Startup” website (http://www.mymilliondollarstartup.com). There you will find more details about the contest, and can buy your pixels. Please share this information with your friends. Who knows? They might want to participate as well.

Whether or not you buy pixels, thank you for taking time to read my story.

Shay.Armstrong, Jan 17, 2006 IP
    Roman likes this.
  2. cpvr

cpvr Guest

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the community! :)
    I like your idea - I'll have to check it out.

cpvr, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  3. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Welcome to DP, that a way to just jump right out there and spam your site in the very same thread you introduced yourself in!

mdvaldosta, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  4. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Holy crap! Another million dollar pixel site!

BRILLIANT!

[​IMG]

Crazy_Rob, Jan 17, 2006 IP
    digitalpoint and Blogmaster like this.
  5. Shay.Armstrong

Shay.Armstrong Peon

Best Answers:
    Be the first advertiser, your name will be on my blog :)

6. Kuraptka

Kuraptka Peon

Best Answers:
    At least name your site a different name, Million Dollar Startup? Come'n. Media wants to hear something strikingly different. This sounds so much alike to MDHP. I know a site that's giving free Ipods to random pixel buyers, you're just giving the top banner ad as the prize, so what? Media is not gonna bother with your idea.. they get millions of letters and articles everyday, they're not gonna have the time to give you any coverage unless it's truly unique.

Kuraptka, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  7. Shay.Armstrong

Shay.Armstrong Peon

Best Answers:
    What makes the site different is not selling pixel advertising or giving something away. The unique thing is using this method to raise the seed money for a new business venture. While the general media may think it is boring, business journalists will be interested in the idea and will monitor whether or not it is successful plus that will make the mega banner very valuable real estate.

8. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    welcome Shay,

haven't you got a dodge viper you can smash up?

Solicitors Mortgages, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  9. oslocal

oslocal Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Shay.Armstrong welcome to the DP community

oslocal, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  10. Serious

Serious Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL (I think that one will succeed, they have introduced something new even if I don't like it)

Serious, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  11. Peanut

Peanut Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah pixel pages are a little over done now. Welcome anyways

Peanut, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  12. Shay.Armstrong

Shay.Armstrong Peon

Best Answers:
    Guys.....
    Good Morning :)

Got more then 80 emails during the last 24H since the website was launch.
    Be positive. Its look like I am on the right path though no one actually made a purchase (yet).
    Time for my coffee.

Cya.

Shay.Armstrong, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  13. Maze

Maze Peon

Best Answers:
    Welcome, good luck with your pixelsite. Maybe i should start something like that too. Buy adspace on my dog and cat, after that i am going to paint companies on them! lol just kidding.

Have fun!

Maze

Maze, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  14. Serious

Serious Peon

Best Answers:
    You're lucky, in two months, I hardly get any email. Among the 37896 visitors (so far), maybe a dozen emailed me (and most of them were pixel webmasters).

Serious, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  15. Shay.Armstrong

Shay.Armstrong Peon

Best Answers:
    Check this:
    http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?q=&url=www.mymilliondollarstartup.com

Though it was first published only yesterday !

16. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    I think your a little late one this one. You aren't the first pixel site to give something away. I've seen others giving away $1000 everytime they reach a certain milestone.
    There are hundreds if not thousands of pixel sites now. I even have a failed one, but it at least drives traffic to my websites.

JoeO, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  17. Serious

Serious Peon

Best Answers:
    Good beginning! Here is mine.
    [​IMG]
    You may be interested to join this community.

Serious, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  18. NRLMedia

NRLMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Man, you guys are way to late on this. Where have you been? The hype started in August.

Welcome, but sorry about your money pit.

NRLMedia, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  19. Shay.Armstrong

Shay.Armstrong Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you check my website?
    Did you get the idea behind it?
    Yes, its based on Alex idea, but with something more....
    so far I've got excellent feedbacks, and its only one day since the website was launched.

Please take a look: http://www.mymilliondollarstartup.com

20. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    I think ripping the million dollar think is kind of riding off of Alex's steam.

Besides some don't want a banner. To be good at this pixel stuff, someone else here has to come up with a brilliant idea that will blow people's socks off.

And the banner thing just isn't doing it for me.

See something like the crashing of the dodge viper while strange is very interesting.

But that's my take on it, though I do hope it'll work for you.

Skinny

Skinny, Jan 18, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.